yamaha 40 hp tiller with assisted lift questions

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

yamaha 40 hp tiller with assisted lift questions

Postby mallardrake3 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:05 am

Looking at a boat with a 40 4 stroke yamaha tiller with assisted lift. Im not familiar with the assisted lift. I have lifted the motor and to my surprise was very simple to do. My concerns are being able to adjust the motor to run shallower by tilting it up. I looked for an adjustment pin and it just has 2 bolts on each side, which would be a pain to adjust while im trying to get back in my duckholes. The gas chamber seems like it would be in the way to add a pin to solve this problem. So I wanted to know if there was a way around this. Also is there a shallow water mode? Would this set up be a better option that having one with trim and tilt, being that I will be using the boat primarily for duck hunting. Figured this system would be easier on the transom. Any input and knowledge is welcome. Dont want to buy something that I may end up regretting. Thanks.
mallardrake3
hunter

Re: yamaha 40 hp tiller with assisted lift questions

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:43 am

I looked at getting a Yamaha with the assisted lift becausee it was like 1500 or so cheaper than trim! The way the boat dealer explained it to me is that the motor is either fully down or fully up. He didn't say anything about a swallow water mode but I can't believe in this day in age they don't have one.

I chickened out and went ahead and put trim on it as I deal with sand bard and what not a lot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby mallardrake3 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:19 am

Preciate the input
mallardrake3
hunter

Postby hawgripper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:46 pm

the tilt assist will work at trolling speed at any angle but won't hold the forward thrust at too much over trolling. they have check valve in the piston of the cyl that will bypass fluid and drop the motor if there is too much thrust and down pressure.

Go ahead and tilt it and run into your back areas...
hawgripper
hunter

Postby mallardrake3 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:49 pm

Preciate it hawgripper. Think im gonna go ahead and get it and purchase a hydraulic jack plate. The rest should be history with a jack plate.
mallardrake3
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds