25hp or 30hp for 1652?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: 25hp or 30hp for 1652?

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 pm

No one ever says I wish I didn't have so much HP......NO ONE!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Swanny » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 am

But everyone wishes they had more money in the bank! On yamaha's service bulletin, they have the yammy going 27mph with 2 guys in a 16' with a 10 prop. Out of curiosity, how many of you that suffered poor performance got a lower prop to see if that helped? If I can do alright with the 25hp and save $2500, that will allow me to get a new blind and a lot of other stuff. I don't want to be underpowered, but I don't want to drop over $5k if I don't have to. If propping right will get me moving along with 25hp I'd save some cash.
Swanny
hunter

Postby Natedog57 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:30 am

My $0.02... I've hunted/fished out of Jon's and outboards for over 10yrs.

There is very little difference in 25-30hp, most hp gains are through increased fuel and rpms. With your hull and a 25/30hp you should run lightly loaded in high 20's to 30mph... can you live with this? If not, you'll need more hp.

The Tohatsu TLDI is a good engine, not sure if this is the one you're looking at, I'd consider this against any 4stroke engine, it will be considerably lighter in weight. A 50hp 15" shaft tiller version was available not too long ago...

If money is tight I'd look for a clean used 2 stroke, around here they can be had easily for under $1,200, your market might be different. Also, if your longest runs are around a mile or so, there's not too much reason to get peak speeds... unless you see yourself hunting more/different areas in the near future. If you only duck hunt out of this rig you have plenty of time to shop around before next season.

Whatever you get, make sure it's propped correctly and positioned correctly on the transom (cavitation plate at or slightly above the bottom of the hull). Many rigs perform poorly because the outboard is simply dropped on the transom and run.
Natedog57
hunter

Postby lattehead » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:38 pm

you can expect to run about 26 mph with that 25hp Yamaha with a 12" pitch aluminum prop in that hull with one person and no gear. with 3 people, you will probably have to drop down to a 10" pitch aluminum prop. I personally would look for a stainless steel prop if they make them in a 10"pitch. much more durable than aluminum for duck hunting.

the problem comes when you start loading people and gear into it. if you are expecting to hunt out of the boat and not just use it to transport you to a fixed blind, you are really going to be losing alot of speed. if you are loaded down with decoys , dog, 3 guys and the other gear used in duck hunting, you may not get the boat on plane. you will also need more horsepower if you ever plan on breaking ice in that boat. you can get by with the 25, but I guarantee you that if you hunt a lot with that boat, you will be shopping for a larger outboard after your first season. when you do, a 50hp tiller would be my choice.

p.s. I wouldn't spend the extra 1800 for a 30hp tohatsu to gain 5hp. the Yamaha will be a much more durable outboard for duck hunting and require less maintence than the tohatsu.
lattehead
hunter

Postby Swanny » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Damnit you guys!! I may need to get the 40. I plan on keeping this rig for a while and plan on getting some good use out of it fishing and hunting and would hate to be disappointed. I certainly do like the price if the 25 though.
Swanny
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Swanny wrote:Damnit you guys!! I may need to get the 40. I plan on keeping this rig for a while and plan on getting some good use out of it fishing and hunting and would hate to be disappointed. I certainly do like the price if the 25 though.

I am looking for a 40-60hp for my boat. If you've got the money and the option get the biggest motor you can afford, I was just pointing out that a 25 HP will be sufficient to push your boat.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Swanny » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:24 pm

Too many pros and cons to go over. I'm only feeling rushed because I need to let the dealer know about the 25hp ASAP, otherwise I'd have plenty of time to make up my mind. I could swing getting the 40hp, but I'm having a hard time getting over the big price jump from the 25hp. I'd rather spend as little as it takes to make the boat plane fine with 3 guys. The hard part is, I don't have experience with a 16' and what to pair it up with. I'm coming from a little 14' with a 8hp honda.
Swanny
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:32 am

Swanny wrote:But everyone wishes they had more money in the bank! On yamaha's service bulletin, they have the yammy going 27mph with 2 guys in a 16' with a 10 prop. Out of curiosity, how many of you that suffered poor performance got a lower prop to see if that helped? If I can do alright with the 25hp and save $2500, that will allow me to get a new blind and a lot of other stuff. I don't want to be underpowered, but I don't want to drop over $5k if I don't have to. If propping right will get me moving along with 25hp I'd save some cash.

You could run that argument all the way down to a 3hp outboard.
A three-horse will get you where you want to go, and you'd have even MORE money for other stuff!
You've got to make a decision on what you value more: saving money (3hp) or having the power you need/want when you need/want it (30-40hp).
Nobody drops $5000 if they don't have to. But, they'll drop $5000 if they want to!

Life is full of compromises...and the motor you put on your boat is just one of them. Ultimately, the decision is yours, and yours alone.
mudpack
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:10 am

Swanny wrote:Too many pros and cons to go over. I'm only feeling rushed because I need to let the dealer know about the 25hp ASAP, otherwise I'd have plenty of time to make up my mind. I could swing getting the 40hp, but I'm having a hard time getting over the big price jump from the 25hp. I'd rather spend as little as it takes to make the boat plane fine with 3 guys. The hard part is, I don't have experience with a 16' and what to pair it up with. I'm coming from a little 14' with a 8hp honda.

My boat will plane with 3 guys, but only during the summer with a fishing load (18 gal bait well full+20-30lb ice) . In the winter when I have a full hunting load (6-12 doz decoys, blind, ammo, etc.) It will not plane with 3 guys.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Swanny » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks T-man. That's pretty much what I needed to know. I could live with not going fast, but I would need to get up on plane to be happy with the 25.
Swanny
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:26 am

T Man wrote:
Swanny wrote:Damnit you guys!! I may need to get the 40. I plan on keeping this rig for a while and plan on getting some good use out of it fishing and hunting and would hate to be disappointed. I certainly do like the price if the 25 though.

I am looking for a 40-60hp for my boat. If you've got the money and the option get the biggest motor you can afford, I was just pointing out that a 25 HP will be sufficient to push your boat.

BTW if you go with a Yamaha make sure you bounce up to a 60 if you can. they are the same block just board out for speed. same with the 90 and 115 Yamahas.

As far a planning goes I hunted in my buddies 16' with a 25 two stroke Yamaha this year on a hunt. we had 3 guys and maybe 5 dozen decoys and equipment......we could not get on plan, got close and cracked over a couple of times at WOT.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:32 am

T Man wrote:
QuackerSmacker498 wrote:A 40 HP will barely cut it with two guys and an average hunting load with a dog.

Try again.

I have a 25hp on a 1652 and it will run high 20's with a full fishing load during the summer and low 20's with a blind,3 guys, and 12 dozen decoys in the winter. Its not setting any speed records, but I would call that much better than "barely cutting it"

Seriously, 3 guys, a boat blind, and 12 DOZEN DECOYS in a 16 foot boat. They must be teal decoys! :help:
z51
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 pm

400 lb boat
200 lb fuel and motor
600 lb 3 hunters
100 lb for guns shells etc
40 lb decoys
80 lb dog

Roughly 1500 lbs on the light side.....25 HP.....have fun trying to get on plane... HaHa.... .I prefer to hit the throttle and watch my boat plane in a just a few seconds.

Do what you want, but don't come back to the forum and say I should of bought a biggest motor.

Maybe Tman can sell you one of those magical 25 HP motors that flys with a 1600 lb. Load or more in the high twenties. :huh:

Other thing you might want to consider is the demand for that motor and boat combo in yoyr area if you plan on selling them down the road. Guys round here sell that boat all day long on craigslist because after they buy them, they realize what a turd it is on the water. We have a minimum 7 mile boat ride, and 12-15 miles per hour won't cut it.

If that's people in your area are using by all means get the cheaper 25 HP because you are not going to see huge performance gains until about 50 HP.

As stated earlier, buy a newer 2 stroke 50 hp with a high end stainless prop. You will thank all the guys on this forum that have directed you to do so.

MORE POWER =====MORE BETTER......end of story
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Swanny » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:22 pm

I just purchased a 40hp so I won't be kicking myself later and not having to worry about the load. I appreciate all of you'r input on this and helping me make up my mind.
Last edited by Swanny on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swanny
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:48 pm

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:400 lb boat
200 lb fuel and motor
600 lb 3 hunters
100 lb for guns shells etc
40 lb decoys
80 lb dog

Roughly 1500 lbs on the light side.....25 HP.....have fun trying to get on plane... HaHa.... .I prefer to hit the throttle and watch my boat plane in a just a few seconds.

Do what you want, but don't come back to the forum and say I should of bought a biggest motor.

Maybe Tman can sell you one of those magical 25 HP motors that flys with a 1600 lb. Load or more in the high twenties. :huh:

Other thing you might want to consider is the demand for that motor and boat combo in yoyr area if you plan on selling them down the road. Guys round here sell that boat all day long on craigslist because after they buy them, they realize what a turd it is on the water. We have a minimum 7 mile boat ride, and 12-15 miles per hour won't cut it.

If that's people in your area are using by all means get the cheaper 25 HP because you are not going to see huge performance gains until about 50 HP.

As stated earlier, buy a newer 2 stroke 50 hp with a high end stainless prop. You will thank all the guys on this forum that have directed you to do so.

MORE POWER =====MORE BETTER......end of story

Your reading comprehension sucks.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby handyandy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Good choice on going with a 40hp get a stainless prop as well you won't regret it. I have a 1554 excel which is much heavier than any g3 boat being mine is a .125" thick hull and my 40hp nissan pushes it just fine with a duck hunting load usually consisting of a dozen goose floaters 2-3 dozen ducks and 2 to 3 guys. It doesn't have any issues getting on plane. I like the nissan I have its a older carbuerated oil injected two stroke. I rebuilt the carbs this year and replaced the fuel pump diaphram and plugs but that is to be expected when I don't think any of that had been done since it was new in 2002. Not sure why so many dog the tohatsu/nissan engines I like mine and know of a few people with them that like them. I know when my 40 starts wearing out which hopefully is a long time from now I will probably replace it with a tohatsu 50hp tldi since its the only short shaft tiller with that high of hp.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Swanny » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Yeah, I made the right choice. A little rough on the sticker up front, but will be worth it come open water season in the spring. What does the stainless prop give you over an aluminum one? Sorry for my ignorance on this subject.
Swanny
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:06 pm

stainless props are way more durable than aluminum a good stainless prop will last the lifetime of the engine unless you hit something really hard really fast in which case will destroy the prop and lower unit. They are a little better performing on the top end since they don't flex as much. Really the best benefit is that they don't wear out and break easily like aluminum ones do. They are worth the money you will end up spending as much on aluminum props eventually from them wearing out or breaking. It's one of those things it's money a head to get a stainless prop cause you'll end up spending as much on aluminum it would just be spread out over time as they wear out or break.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Make sure you do your research on stainless props before you buy one. I run aluminum just in case I clip a gravel bar on the river I'd rather break a prop than a lower unit. 100hp+ I would recommend a ss, small motors the performance gain is neglegable.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby handyandy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:42 pm

that is true you do run a higher risk at ruining your lower unit with a SS prop cause it won't break and give way but you would really have to hit something hard to hurt the lower unit. I've hit some logs and stumps pretty good and run over a few sandy/gravely spots with mine by accident in my 40hp and haven't had a issue. If your careful like you should be in areas you know are littered with lower unit killers you will be alright. T man is right the performance gain is not much on smaller motors but the durability I think is worth it. I would have gone through probably three props this year if I had aluminum.

handyandy
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:54 pm

Swanny wrote:I just talked purchased a 40hp so I won't be kicking myself later and not having to worry about the load. I appreciate all of you'r input on this and helping me make up my mind.

Yamaha?

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Swanny » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Yup, yamaha. Just got the basic tiller with nitro assist
Swanny
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Swanny wrote:Yup, yamaha. Just got the basic tiller with nitro assist

You'll love it! Never had nitro assist, be interesting to see how you like it.

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby lattehead » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:19 pm

swanny, congratulations on the new purchase. if you go to the mercury website, you can use their "prop selector" and punch in your boat/load information. mercury's program will give you an idea of the prop pitch size you need for your rig/motor. just put in all specs and estimated load you will have in the boat during duck season.

when I proped out my boat, I put a tach on the engine to get the exact rpms of different pitched props while running my boat. I ended up with a 13" pitch stainless based on the tach rpms and my motors optimum rpm range. about a month after this, I saw the prop selector on mercury's website and typed in all my boats info to see how accurate it was. mercury's program selected the same prop pitch that I actually had gone with. it is an excellent place to start if you don't want to purchase a lot of props for testing.

regarding a stainless prop. your motor probably has a release lever to let it pop up if you hit something while underway. if you hit something going fast, the lower unit will take the hit before it even touches the prop. buy the stainless because it is so much more durable than aluminum. i have a few nicks in my stainless from hitting concrete without any problems to my lower unit. if I had an aluminum prop on, it would have been ruined at least a few times this duck season. all of the serious everyday duck hunters where i hunt run stainless props- that should tell you something.
lattehead
hunter

Postby Swanny » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:48 am

Thanks lattehead. I can't wait to rig everything up once the boat comes in. Thanks for pointing me towards the prop selector, I'll check it out. What tach should I look at? I think I'll end up getting one. Tiny tach?
Swanny
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds