Layout/sneak boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Layout/sneak boat

Postby Teal slayer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:46 pm

I'm looking for a new layout/sneak boat. I want something that can hold me(5'6) 2-3 decoys and blind bag. I would like to stay under $700. Looking at the otter final attack but looks like it doesn't paddle well. Any comment appreciated
Teal slayer
hunter

Re: Layout/sneak boat

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Used Marsh Rat

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby noweil » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Used marsh rat like mentioned above or maybe a plastic aqua pod. Where you are located may have a big influence on what is available. Final Attacks don't paddle well. I would say search Craigslist. See whats in your area for duck boats. I know where you can buy brand new duck skiffs for between $400-500 last time I checked but if you are in another part of the country it is not a deal.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:01 pm

Creek boat M98. I have one, it paddles pretty good, but I use a trolling motor most of the time.

BUT I'd really suggest saving up for a four rivers boat if you can or find a nice used Four rivers or MOmarsh.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Teal slayer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Is there a big difference between the standard size and magnum?
Teal slayer
hunter

Postby jmatura » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:33 am

Three dozen mags will take a little more room than just standards.

Have you considered building your own sneakboat? The Kara Hummer is a very easy build and also simple to modify design to put a real transom on one end make it much more stable when under power using a small 2hp outboard, much more stable than lets say a MoMarsh DP with their bolt on transom.

I am sure you can find plenty of help building one right on this forum. Also, here's a site showing the build: http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/edaskew/sneakboat2.html

I would highly suggest modifying the plans to incorporate a transom, once again very simple.
jmatura
DHC Sponsor

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Teal slayer wrote:Is there a big difference between the standard size and magnum?

standard and magnum?? :huh:

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:31 pm

jmatura wrote:Three dozen mags will take a little more room than just standards.

Have you considered building your own sneakboat? The Kara Hummer is a very easy build and also simple to modify design to put a real transom on one end make it much more stable when under power using a small 2hp outboard, much more stable than lets say a MoMarsh DP with their bolt on transom.

I am sure you can find plenty of help building one right on this forum. Also, here's a site showing the build: http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/edaskew/sneakboat2.html

I would highly suggest modifying the plans to incorporate a transom, once again very simple.

Kara's arent hard to build, just takes a while. I modified the plans and made mine 12.5ft long and during testing I had 3 people in it.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:44 am

Teal slayer wrote:Is there a big difference between the standard size and magnum?

I have the standard roto-molded Rat, the Magnum is Fiberglass and can be fitted with a motor mount.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby dklaus1201 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:43 pm

I have a Carstens Puddler with the 4Rivers Layout Seat. Paddles great and you can hide it anywhere. Also, added a 2"x4" off the back corner to hook up a trolling motor. We've been towing it in behind a larger 4Rivers boat. It tows great. With me and my gun, I have no problem carrying 2-3 doz decoys and if towing it, you can carry all the guns and 7-8 doz.
dklaus1201
hunter

Postby Teal slayer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Dklaus, do you have a problem with stability? Would you recommend it in water to deep to stand?
Teal slayer
hunter

Postby dklaus1201 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:09 pm

Teal slayer wrote:Dklaus, do you have a problem with stability? Would you recommend it in water to deep to stand?

I haven't ever really stood up in it to test it. I mostly use it in shallow marshes where the deepest water would be about chest deep in the boat lanes. I've had no problems getting into it in waste deep water, just have to be careful. if you were going in deeper water consistently, I would recommend the 4Rivers Refuge Runner. My buddy has one and it's super stable even when motoring with 2 people and some gear. I got mine because I don't have a trailer, can store it against the wall of the garage, and can handle it by myself without any problems.
dklaus1201
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:03 pm

Google Hellbender boats in Fla. more in your price range. Also Hunt em Boats. I have one, very stable can take a 5 or 6 hp mud motor or outboard. :thumbsup:
KRB
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:27 am

My next boat will be a Teal Chaser or a Hellbender

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds