open water pontoon boat?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

open water pontoon boat?

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:12 pm

So over the last few years I have more guys aanting to diver hunt with me which is great the more people to get into this obsession the better. But I don't have much room in my 860 war eagle. So I have been tossing around the idea of using a pontoon boat (24'+) and stripping it down and building a floating drivable blind but I want to make sure they are stable enough hunt the chesapeake but never in rough water no more than 1'-1.5 if its any more than that ill find a sheltered shoreline. So my questions are will it be stable enough and should I only consider ones with the center pontoon or will the ones with just two pontoon suffice.
Thanks a ton guys
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: open water pontoon boat?

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Do a search for jehler, he has what I have named as Jehler's Island, just such a pontoon blind that you are speaking of.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:49 pm

I have seen his its awesome
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby honkerhitman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:31 pm

i have a pontoon blind that i currently hunt out of at the head of the north east river. it is more than convienent to hunt out of due to the room. it is a 22' boat. i do think it sometimes can flare birds due to the size but is a great project.
honkerhitman
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:46 pm

[quote="honkerhitman"]i have a pontoon blind that i currently hunt out of at the head of the north east river. it is more than convienent to hunt out of due to the room. it is a 22' boat. i do think it sometimes can flare birds due to the size but is a great project.[/quote I agree but I would rather have everyone hunting together vs layout hunting so if flare some birds oh well. We hunted out of the wareagle and a fastgrass blind and have shot limits on most days this season sure some birds flared but there are plenty of dumb ones around to make up for it
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:17 am

I have the same problem, but have decided that my "friends" need to buy their own boats, decoys, and gear. :hammer:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby bigbuckilla » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:08 pm

whats up mdfowlman. i remember you sayin somthing last year like this.. you were thinkin about puttin layouts right on a pontoon deck. . & you know my big boat. the 1993 22' hurricane fundeck. im gonna do something similar. im cutting the blind off, cutting the deck off (again) and droppin the floor to the bildge & making it look like a marsh island. very very low profile. 2' off the top of the water.

as far as seaworthyness of a pontoon boat... ... thats iffy. the tri toon is a better idea. a fiberglass hull that can cut thru it a little is even better.

+ thanks for sendin some biz my way thru md whitetail. !
bigbuckilla
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:25 am

bigbuckilla wrote:whats up mdfowlman. i remember you sayin somthing last year like this.. you were thinkin about puttin layouts right on a pontoon deck. . & you know my big boat. the 1993 22' hurricane fundeck. im gonna do something similar. im cutting the blind off, cutting the deck off (again) and droppin the floor to the bildge & making it look like a marsh island. very very low profile. 2' off the top of the water.

as far as seaworthyness of a pontoon boat... ... thats iffy. the tri toon is a better idea. a fiberglass hull that can cut thru it a little is even better.

+ thanks for sendin some biz my way thru md whitetail. !

Anytime.. how has your season turned out?
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby bigbuckilla » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Fair, ive had a few setbacks, but its ending strong. bird wize; great. birds everywhere for the taking. im re-evaluating things and hunting next year with a different approach. I finally built decoys that i feel like are the best possible thing you can put out in the water & the draw is incredable. Next step is re-building the boat out so it will be just another chunk of marsh out there.
bigbuckilla
hunter

Postby duckr68 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:04 am

I built a 22ft pontoon with removable blind. check out link.... I regressed the side doors after this so it looks a lot better then in video. I can hunt 7 people in full comfort. led lights and cleaning station with running water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D78geulvoSg
duckr68
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds