10ft duck boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

10ft duck boat

Postby Teal slayer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:05 pm

hello all, ive been using my 10ft jon boat for this season with 2 people, gear, and decoys. It has worked fine. I am changing spots and unfortunately to deep to wade therefore I must hunt from the boat. How do yall conceal your jon boats? comments and pictures are appreciated
Teal slayer
hunter

Re: 10ft duck boat

Postby blindbound86 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:50 pm

check out the forum, do a search for blind builds. there also may be some useful info. in the DIY forum. a boat blind for a 10' jon should be a pretty simple build.
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:16 pm

2 guys hunting out of a 10' boat sounds dangerous as hell, and I don't mean the fun dangerous.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:32 pm

I'd want a 12ft boat MINIMUM if hunting with 2 guys, and a 14ft would be better.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:07 pm

The danger factor the other posters refer to depends very much on your hunting situation. I live in AZ and as you are aware intense weather is not exactly commonplace in my neck of the woods. That being said, upon first reading, I didn't notice you were hunting 2 guys out of your boat. please be careful I am pushing it with me and my dog and he is only marginally fat.
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:55 am

I wouldn't even try that if I couldn't touch bottom... a 10 ft boat is a big decoy sled and that is all...
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 am

While I agree with the rest of the guys who posted (on the suitability of the boat), the answer to your question about concealment is another issue.
A couple of camo nets should easily (and cheaply) cover a boat that small while keeping a low profile. Drape a net over the shoulders of the shooters, and don't stand up to shoot. :thumbsup:

(I assume you have adequately weighed the dangers of what you are planning, and have made an intelligent decision about what steps you will be taking, safety-wise, to ensure that both of you come home dry and breathing. )
mudpack
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:26 am

Keep off the lakes in Illinois. They get rough like the ocean. Carlyle + 10' boat + hunters, gear, n dog + slight breeze = everybody dies.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:41 am

The best advice I can give you for hunting deeper water....and at that out of your set up. Buy a bigger boat, your life is not worth putting in danger just because you didn't have the proper equipment.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:36 am

aunt betty wrote:Keep off the lakes in Illinois. They get rough like the ocean. Carlyle + 10' boat + hunters, gear, n dog + slight breeze = everybody dies.

LOL
TheMiz
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:18 pm

I've hunted from a 10' boat a bunch of times. I wouldn't hit big water with it. If you can't pull the boat up into the cattails and bend them over your boat then I'm not sure what you'd do.

I certainly would want to have the boat on the bog or put stakes into the ground to keep your boat a little more stable. We've used chicken wire and threaded in cattails and then about 8 stakes 8'-10' long stick into the ground with hooks to hold the chicken wire/blind up. But you'd still want to be up against something to keep the boat stable.
kbooger
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds