pros and cons of newer "duck boats"

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

pros and cons of newer "duck boats"

Postby cut-emnova » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:06 pm

The 1980 trusty old lowe 16ft has taken its fair share of a beating and it is about time to upgrade to a better boat. I hunt with 3-4 guys with anywhere from 3 to 10 dozen decoys and a dog... "normally somewhere in the middle depending on passenger count". We hunt puddlers in shallow creeks, lakes and muddy rivers as well as finish our season busting ice and chasing divers on the lower potomac which i would consider to be not big water, but definitely not small either. I currently have an almost brand new 40hp yammie 4 stroker that i will be using on the new boat. Im thinking something like a fully welded 1754 or 1860 would fall into the middle of all those criteria. what do you all think, and what brand boat would you guys recommend (war eagle, xpress, g3.... etc??) , and where have you guys had luck finding a good deal?? also my budget is about 3000-3500 max. thanks guys!
Last edited by cut-emnova on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
cut-emnova
hunter

Re: upgrading your old duckboat

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:45 pm

A note about the lower Patomic: How far down do you go? are you below Mt Vernon? I spend time in DC with my son, and being from the west I can't get over all of that water. Is it possible to get away from all of those people and find a hunting environment? are you out in the middle of the river and anchored for divers? Is that how you escape the urban environment? I would want a chunky boat for that. You have stimulated my imagination. Thank you.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Re: upgrading your old duckboat

Postby cut-emnova » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:44 am

There are plenty of places to float hunt south of dc, although I have a bunch of blinds south of belvior. When the birds are woriking somewhere else, we have killed limits plenty of times anchored in the middle of the water down there. Just gotta run enough decoys to hide the boat
cut-emnova
hunter

Re: pros and cons of newer "duck boats"

Postby handyandy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:43 am

So your just looking to buy a hull? If thats the case its hard to find a good used hull only in that size and its gonna be hard to buy new for that much.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby ed m » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:11 pm

have you looked at carolina skiff, you can get into a 16' j16 empty hull brand new from dealer for under 2500, ive seen them bust the same ice most aluminum hulls do, easy to fix if it does dent plus they are self bailing
ed m
hunter

Postby canderso » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:43 pm

In the Tin boat realm, I really like the 1860 size. I think it is a great balance of size, load carrying ability and hide-ability. I personally like the SeaArk line. I believe their 1860 is called the DXS or something like that. Nice layout, really stout boat, and higher sides to offer more freeboard than what I have on my 16'er.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds