Converting motor to tiller steer

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Converting motor to tiller steer

Postby Mo. Hunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:48 pm

I've been tossing around the idea of converting my 95 Suzuki dt55 to tiller steer. I think it would work better for what I do. Plus would free some room up in the boat. The motor has a jet drive on and I run a shallow river that you really have to be quick or you'll wind up on a gravel bar. Is this possible? Where do I need to order the stuff? I don't think it'd be to difficult but I don't know for sure .
Mo. Hunter
hunter

Re: Converting motor to tiller steer

Postby FreedomHunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:56 am

Contact a Suzuki dealer. I purchased my gheenoe and wanted it set up with tiller instead of stick steer and it was some $$ to have it done, but its a 2013 motor. I like tiller way more than remote and think it was worth me spending the money for it.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Postby Mo. Hunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:25 am

Alright I may have to check it out. I think it's way easier to drive a tiller as well
Mo. Hunter
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:26 am

check ebay for a tiller arm I'm sure there were ones made for that motor. I know we're not suppose to mention other forums on here but go to the iboats forum and ask around on there lots of guys with extra parts or guys that are dealers that may have one.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 am

Its possible to convert. A tiller handle may cost around $300-$400. I have a small 8hp motor that I actually made a tiller handle for. I used a bike brake handle and brake cable for the throttle (similar to a homemade mud motor). The design doesn't look pretty, but works very well. Search the DIY threads for homemade tiller handle.
I know that you are dealing with a larger motor but with a little thought and redneck engineering you can do it much cheaper.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:16 pm

agreed if your handy you could probably figure up a way to make handle and rig up the throttle on it the shifter is probably on the side already with a lever that is just move by your control cable.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby gcs » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:58 pm

That tiller handle is expensive new. What I have done on some of my old motors that had remote setups was to bolt an aluminum handle/pipe to the "tongue" that the steering connector goes to, the older ones had two holes drilled through them.This is now your tiller,
Then, mount your control box on the gunnel where you can reach it easily, or to a board mounted to the gunnel if you need the box higher, like if you run standing.
This isn't ideal, or quite as easy as a true stock tiller, but works pretty well and you can use it on larger motors, I've seen them on motors up to 115 hp. Just make sure, like with any tiller engine, to adjust the trim tab to cancel the motor torque so the motor doesn't yank to the side if you drop the tiller, thus sending you over the side. :smile:
gcs
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds