Go-Devil LT questions, I need your help GDLT owners

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Go-Devil LT questions, I need your help GDLT owners

Postby FreedomHunter » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Okay so I think I finally figured out what I am going to do. I love my super 16 gheenoe carries a suzuki 40 horse 4 stroke on the back, 38 mph. My little rocket ship. Now I actually have the cash for a mud motor. I want to get back into hard to reach spots and I am thinking of a long tail now for my gheenoe. If this is possible I can save a lot of cash by switching the motors out during hunting and fishing season and I really do not have the room for two boats. I do a lot of redfishing in mosquito lagoon here in FL during spring and summer. I am planning on finding deer spots for bow season with this LT set up and then follow through to the end of duck season.

Now my questions.

- Go-Devil LT best bang for the buck I hear a lot of good things

- Will the bolt (clamp) pattern interferer with my outboard bold pattern?

- Should I go with a 23 or 35 horse? This is a very large gheenoe and max outboard rated for 40 horse. http://www.gheenoe.net/sixteenft.html

- If I do this how do you actually mount these LT motors to the boat? I don't know if just tightening the brackets down would be a good thing.

- Speed is not my concern and this is not a setup for joy riding its going to be a hunting work horse with the LT, any reason for me to buy a SD motor instead? I like the idea of being able to go anywhere. Not planning on doing stumps with a fiberglass boat.

Go-Devil LT owners your help is needed.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Re: Go-Devil LT questions, I need your help GDLT owners

Postby shsuhunter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:48 am

well first off since it is a fiberglass boat i wouldnt recommend a 23-30hp mud motor in the first place. just because the boat is rated for a 40hp outboard doesnt rate the same for a mud motor due to the large amounts of torque they put out. i would imagine if you get to cranking on a 23-30hp in the mud it could rip your transom off the boat. i would recommend a smaller motor such as a 16hp for that boat if you arnt looking for speed.

as for surface drive or a longtail. it depends, the surface drive can go faster but they are also said to be easier to operate since they are similar to an outboard motor and are best for a wider boat to get the best performance out of that motor . longtails are a little slower and harder to operate and best preform on a skinny long boat. so you decide whats best for you and your set up.

the motor mounts just like an outboard, it slides over the transom and has 2 bolts that your cinch down to keep the motor in place. and i cant tell you if the bolt pattern will interfere with your outboard pattern since i dont know what the outboard pattern is that you have. but i imagine they would be close to each other.
shsuhunter
hunter

Postby FreedomHunter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:02 pm

I understand what you are saying and I have been reading about the small gheenoes cracking in the back. The thing about the super 16 they have a back casting deck that is fiberglass all the way to the transom on the sides and then that is filled with foam to the seats a picture of a super 16 top view on the right http://gheenoe.net/sixteenft.html.

So when they say the transom twist I imagine that its because is just fiberglass to the thin sides and the floor. My boat also has false flooring as well all the way back with just a small section cut out for the drain plug in the back. I cant imagine how I would reinforce the transom any stronger than what it has. If I do this I will be adding a piece of Stainless Steel plating to the front and back of the transom where the motor would clamp.

Another thing how the heck does it rip off the transom with just it being clipped on and not bolted?

What do you think, it sounds like you have experience.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Postby shsuhunter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:43 pm

man ive just done a lot of research. i own a 20hp gdlt but havnt gotten to use it yet (building my boat myself) and before i bought this motor i had talked to as many people as i could. but if you really want to do some research yourself mudmotortalk.com is the place to go for any sort of mud motor needs.

back to your topic, they will stay on the transom because you tighten the bolts down tight enough.. if you dont crank the bolts on the mount down tight enough sure it will come off just like an outboard motor.

reinforcing your transom would help big time especially if its just fiberglass and no marine plywood reinforcement there. i havnt had any sort of experience with the boat you have but i have seen what a mud motor can do to an aluminum welded boat if it has to much horsepower. but if you say speed isnt a factor than dropping hp should be a big deal to an extent. also just because you have a mud motor doesnt mean you can go through the absolute crappiest conditions even with a huge motor. you have to know your limits. mud boats with mud motors can get stuck too. just my 2 cents not telling you want you need to or have to do
shsuhunter
hunter

Postby FreedomHunter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:52 pm

Much appreciated, I am on mmt with my questions and it is looking like a 23 might be perfect. I also sent gheenoe a email about the transom and what it will handle and before I purchase a motor I will be contacting that dealer as well.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Always, ALWAYS bolt your motor down. Outboard and go devil. The go devil transom bracket does not have holes in it for through transom bolts. I mounted mine up and drilled trough the transom bracket through the transom and bolted it down. The last thing you want to happen is that longtail to jump off the back of your boat. If you can't get the outboard bolt holes and go devil to line up just silicone the set I holes your not using for the time being and just open them back up when you need them again.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby FreedomHunter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks, I am going with a Go-Devil LT 23 horse for my gheenoe. I contacted Coco and he thought for a mud motor the 35 would be to heavy and make the boat porpos. He also assured me that the LT motor was not going to put out near as much torque on the transom as my 40 horse 4 stroke, but did recommend a piece of aluminum or Stainless steel to keep the clamps from biting in and compressing the fiberglass.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds