For those that added float pods, did you build or buy yours?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

For those that added float pods, did you build or buy yours?

Postby Adam Gibbs » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Im going to need to add float pods to the back of my boat. I have about 6-8 inches on freeboard on the transom with me standing back there and a full tank of fuel. I dont know if I should buy the beavertail pods and have them welded on, or have someone make them and install them. Any pros or cons to each? I feel like the fit would be better for my boat if I had them made because the beavertail ones are kind of a one size fits all deal. Am I wrong?
Adam Gibbs
hunter

Re: For those that added float pods, did you build or buy yo

Postby tod0987 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Beaver tail has 3 sizes and they change by the width of the pods not height. Only when the pod is under water is full buoyancy achieved, that is, if half is out of the water, you're only gaining half of that pods potential displacement. I bought my large beavertail from cabelas (cheapest price) and it cost another $150 I think to have them welded on by a marine T-top maker a couple years ago. I have no regrets and glad I have them on my 1752 lowe with a 50 Rude on the back. The pods will help some with a stern heavy boat, but if you're in general, overloading the boat, there's no replacement for displacement, ie a bigger hull would be a better decision.

I recommend searching "pods" and it should yield you some of the info you're looking for and additional discussion regarding pods. There are several threads on building vs buying and how to design/mount them etc.
Last edited by tod0987 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tod0987
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Move your tank and battery(s) to the front if you can.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:59 pm

I added pods to one of my boats. Looked at the beaver tail but choose to fabricate my own. By fabricating them I was able to carry the lines of the boat. Looks more like they belong instead of added on afterwards. When the ice melts I will tell you how they work.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:05 am

Bought medium from cabelas....I love them. More stable platform, better turning speeds, and of course flotation. Weld them, don't bolt them.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:36 pm

I also got the beavertail mediums from cabelas. I love them. Won't run another boat without them.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds