Opinions requested!!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Opinions requested!!

Postby Indrid Cold » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Would like some advice from all you out there with your own rigs. Currently I do not own a boat but I am very close to making a purchase maybe. Here is where i am having some indecisiveness.

Not sure if I should purchase a smaller Sneakbox or layout style boat or 16-18ft. flat bottom and here goes my reasons for not being sure which way to go.
I don't have a whole lot of experience with boats..never ownd one before and have only been out hunting in them with my friends when they invited me out.
I would be hunting alone or with my son (8yo) most of the time...I am sure if I got a boat I could find some more peopke to hunt with.
The places closest to me that are legal, you can not hunt from a sneakbox and the majority of the blinds you would need a larger boat to access due to having to go in the river to get to them. I would need to drive about 45min- 1 hr to hunt out of the sneakbox. I could always use it to access some of the blinds close to me...but taking it into the river...I am not to sure about.
Prices...for the most part I have been seeing sneakboxes with 5-15hp motors go from $2000-$3000 fully set up ready to go with grass and trailers. There are a couple 17 and 18ft boats by me for $3000-$3500..both with 40hp motors, blinds, basiclly fully set up ready to go too.

So any advice from people who have owned both would be great. I just don't want to buy one then regret it wish I had bought the other..or neither..hahaha...
Thanks all!
Indrid Cold
hunter

Re: Opinions requested!!

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Get the boat-blind. You can weather proof it, hide inside, have a heater or cooker, and be much more comfortable, better hidden, dry, and warm.
Sneak boats are hard core.
Taking a kid out in one...uh uh.
That's a opinion. Take it or leave it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby blackrock » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:30 pm

Get the bigger boat. Safety is always the first consideration. When you take your son,or any youth, safety, comfort, the ability to stay and get warm is top priority. When kids have good experiences, they want to keep going, it builds a lifetime love of water fowling, and you have a new hunting partner and a better relationship. Plus, it's more versatile. You can always add a sneak boat, layout or coffin blinds later. Your son is young, layout hunting is hardcore, its effective but cold wet and dangerous. My son loves layout hunting, but he's almost 16, addicted and tough as nails now. It's also an all season boat, now you can fish, bowfish and go camping. We use our 1860 jet for everything.
blackrock
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:55 am

Agreed go with the regular boat you can use it for lots of other things like fishing or just taking your kid out over the summer camping or tubing or something. If you get the larger boat just get a all welded hull it's more money up front but worth it. If you have a riveted boat you will end up wanting a welded one after a while when the rivets start to leak and your always fixing them.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:55 am

I would get the boat hands down. You will be able to use it for both fishing and hunting. Get a pop up blind and you will be a lot better off. IMO

Just make sure you get a quality haul that is made for the type of water you will be using it in and with enough HP.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:07 am

As with the others, get the bigger boat. It sounds to me like it would be best for the majority of your hunting.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Swanny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:15 am

larger boat for sure. you and your son will be able to do stuff inside the larger boat if he starts getting bored on a slow day, like cooking some food, warm up over a heater, etc. Also, you'll be apt to go hunting more if you don't have to drive so far. If you have good local spots to use the big boat, you'd be able to go in shorter notice, which usually translates into more days of hunting.
Swanny
hunter

Postby Swanny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:16 am

Larger boat like stated above will get more use through out the season. Scouting trips with your son, fishing, tubing, etc
Swanny
hunter

Postby Indrid Cold » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks guys!!! All great advice. Ya my boy loves being out there and hasnt even shot at a bird yet. He has shot guns before but never a shotgun and he doesnt want to just yet. I am waiting till he feels comfortable to shoot one. Looks as if I will be going for the larger boat!!!
Indrid Cold
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:02 am

whatever you do get a quality all welded hull you won't regret it trust me. This is coming from a guy that has had two riveted boats and now a welded boat which is so much better no more filling the boat with water finding leaking rivets and replacing them.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby chiefwamego » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:51 am

"I don't have a whole lot of experience with boats..never ownd one before and have only been out hunting in them with my friends when they invited me out.
I would be hunting alone or with my son (8yo) most of the time..."

Everyone has given good advice. Let me add this into your decision making. How about taking a boating safety course before buying a boat? Learn how to handle different types of boats, learn about hypothermia, safety equipment, flares, rules of the road, the importance of a float plan, and basic boat maintenace in case you break down somewhere. Then teach your son these things. Once you've increaed your basic boat knowledge then it might make it easier deciding what type of boat to get and what kind of conditions your comfortable operating in. It may be a beautiful day when you headed out but when the weather changes are you going to be ready and can your boat handle it? If something happens to you, could your son get you and the boat back? http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/default.aspx
chiefwamego
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:54 am

handyandy wrote:whatever you do get a quality all welded hull you won't regret it trust me. This is coming from a guy that has had two riveted boats and now a welded boat which is so much better no more filling the boat with water finding leaking rivets and replacing them.

Not all riveted boats leak with age,just the cheap ones. And welded hulls will crack with age and use.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Indrid Cold » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:45 pm

chiefwamego wrote:"I don't have a whole lot of experience with boats..never ownd one before and have only been out hunting in them with my friends when they invited me out.
I would be hunting alone or with my son (8yo) most of the time..."

Everyone has given good advice. Let me add this into your decision making. How about taking a boating safety course before buying a boat? Learn how to handle different types of boats, learn about hypothermia, safety equipment, flares, rules of the road, the importance of a float plan, and basic boat maintenace in case you break down somewhere. Then teach your son these things. Once you've increaed your basic boat knowledge then it might make it easier deciding what type of boat to get and what kind of conditions your comfortable operating in. It may be a beautiful day when you headed out but when the weather changes are you going to be ready and can your boat handle it? If something happens to you, could your son get you and the boat back? http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/default.aspx

Thanks Chief! I will def. be taking the safety course.
Indrid Cold
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:59 pm

welded boats can crack but so can riveted ones. Quality riveted boats will last a long time, but personally after having both I would only want a quality welded hull.

handyandy
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds