Foam Core Boat Project...pics

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Foam Core Boat Project...pics

Postby duckboy_390 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:16 pm

I started making a foam boat a few weeks ago and just got her finished up last week. She's 8' long and 42" wide at the center and tips the scales at a whoppin' 35lbs :eek: . I haven't tried her out yet(there's still 3 feet of ice on the lakes up here), so I don't know how stable its going to be or how well it is going to paddle.

Anybody else have experience on how boats of this nature handle?

Cut that Sucka'-Phil R.
duckboy_390
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:30 pm

pretty cool boat duckboy. should be pretty stable.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby had » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:19 am

nice job! :thumbsup:
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:25 am

Nice :thumbsup:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:06 am

Job well done!!!!!! I will be making one too this spring...once it warms up a bit so the fiberglass will cure well.

Anyhow....please give us some details:

> what weight fiberglass? Weave or cloth?
> I'll assume you used an epoxy resin....West System?
> How about a gel coat to make it smooth?
> 35 lbs is outstanding....mine will be 11 feet and abit wider...but if I can get in at under 50 pounds I will be ecstactic.....did you use opine for the cockpit 'walls'?
> any up front tips?
> How did you anchor the hardware such as handles, cleats etc?
> I am planning to make one of mine with a transom for a small motor....have you considered that?....also, I think once the technique is 'down', I will build a layout based on my MLB's specs...any thoughts? I would love to shave off some of the weight the MLB has just so it will be easier to use alone in the shallows....I would save the MLB for the 'real' layout hunting in the ocean.

Again....looks real good!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :salude:
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckboy_390 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:14 pm

I dont know the weight of the fiberglass-I just used the small packages at hardware stores. I used 2 layers over most of the hull.

For resin I used the 2 part epoxy basement finish-it is epoxy resin resin, but has color added to it.

For smoothing I just applied another coat of resin after fiberglassing to smooth it out more, more strength too

For the cockpit I used scrap pieces of foam glued and then fiberglassed together

I attched the u-bolts by putting them on a small board and gluing it between the top and middle layer of foam-with a slit cut in the top layer for the u-bolt to stivk out of
For the handles I just glues a board on spots where I wanted handles and fiberglassed over it and screwed the handles on

Tips:
Stay away from fancy bends and curves as they are hard to fiberglass w/out getting bubbles.

Dukhntr: I have thought about makes a square stern for a small motor, but I already have a small boat and motor and was looking for small, light craft to get back into remote areas without a lot of trouble.
I think you could keep her under 50lbs-the epoxy adds the most weight.

If anyone else has questions I would be happy to answer them.
Cut that Sucka'-Phil R.
duckboy_390
hunter

Postby duckdog » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:57 pm

great job!!! :thumbsup: Where did you get the plan's for it. Look's like a great project for me and my 11 year old to work on this summer. Please let me know.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby duckboy_390 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:05 am

Duckdog:

I didn't use plans, I just got the idea from a tread on another forum and built the specs to how I wanted them. Pretty easy to do.
Cut that Sucka'-Phil R.
duckboy_390
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:38 am

thanks for the details 390.....I have myself set I think...will use 6oz fiberglass weave...although this will result in a higher weight of the final boat, it will be strong......might even upgrade on the hull to 8oz. I agree, use epoxy resin (I believe the polyester resin will 'melt' the foam). For the cockpit I will use 1x6's which will add weight, but also alot of strength, rigidity and durability. I agree with you on the hardware mounting....that has been my hardest thing to plan for....but was also feeling that inletting wood panels and then fiberglassing over would be enough from a strength perspective.....I think a 1" wood thickness will suffice. I think a layer of gel coat will be less weight than a second layer of resin...although it may be a moot issue. I've done it both ways before. Thanks for the tip on the rounded edges....I have worked it before and am confident I can handle it without a problem. I know that the first time I ever worked with fiberglass I was a bit apprehensive....but you get better every time!

Again....gret job on your first project like this!!!! Time to make another!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Woodie1 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:49 am

what kind of foam, size etc... and glue I've been thinking of making one so that i can lay my final approach in and make a low profile boat blind any other tips that you might have on building one. Great boat by the way
Woodie1
hunter

Postby duckboy_390 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:46 am

Wood:

4'X8'X2" Polystyrene Foam glued together with epoxy resin

Another tip... I used those plastic putty spreaders for the fiberglassing work-it leaves the surface a lot smoother and less sanding will be needed.
Cut that Sucka'-Phil R.
duckboy_390
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:29 pm

regarding the foam sheets....I get the 2" sheets at HomeDepot.....they are 2'x8' and cost is $12.50 per sheet

I can get a 4'x8' sheet on order from alumber yard, but the cost is $44. I guess if you can get the 4x8 sheets cheaper, it would be cost effective....other wise, the sheets I get are tongue-n-groove on the sides and make a good enough fit....remember you are glassing over. If the hull exceeds the 8 feet....remember to stagger your laminations......lastly, the epoxy is fine for glueing the sheets, but any five minute epoxy or Elmer's Ultimate or Gorrila will work....you are really only securing the sheets while shaping......the less glue the better and I never glue all the way to the outside edge since it is harder to sand clean....many times if thick it will leave a ridge
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:00 pm

I think your boat looks awsome! I would like to make one this summer with my son. You said that you used 4x8x2" sheet's. How many do you stack on each other? :thumbsup:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby duckboy_390 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:09 pm

CMQ:

3 sheets, with the top sheet having the cockpit shape cut out.
Cut that Sucka'-Phil R.
duckboy_390
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:35 am

THANKS FOR THE HELP !
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:06 pm

well, i think i am going to have to give this a try.

great info guys. i think i have enough to go on, but i am sure i will be asking questions.

3 sheets might not give me enough "depth" in the cockpit though. is there any inherant risks i would be running if i used 4 sheets with the top 2 cut out for the cockpit?
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

boat

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:51 am

wow- very impresive boat.

How did you shape the hull? I would think it will be very stable and should float in very shallow water.

did you paint the boat or is the base color from the resin?

do you have anymore pic? I've been fixin to build a pair layout boats out of wood & fiberglass this looks much easier, quicker, less expensive and safer as a hunting platform.

very impresive, you should be very proud of your work, I bet you can't wait to get it wet.

If you don't mind me asking how much time & money have you invested?

Frank
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

boat part 2

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:22 am

ok,,,, I went back and looked at the pictures and read the thread a 2nd & 3rd time. then I did a little research to answer your question as to stablity?

I predict this to be as stable as any small craft can be.

my logic here is that a 4'x8'x 12" enclosed styro dock float supports 1855 lbs. I know the boat is not quite that big or thick but it close. I'm sure that the dock float is a special styro so it is not an apples to apples comparison but if it's even 50% as floaty thats close to 1000#'s the highest weight cap of the manufactured boats are about 550#'s because they are not made out of solid foam.

The hull shape is similar to the popular duck boats on the market with pontoons built into the edges for more stability and floatation. plus it has a built in keel so it should track well. a good fiberglass job will last for decades with hard use and min. upkeep. the foam if kept dry will last forever.

Yes I'm Very Impressed with this boat. Job well done I'd like to buy you a beer.

Frank
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Re: boat

Postby duckboy_390 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:15 pm

How did you shape the hull? I would think it will be very stable and should float in very shallow water.

Disc Grinder w/ 36 grit disc

did you paint the boat or is the base color from the resin?

The resin was colored-a tan color-but I wanted a brown base coat, so I painted it.

do you have anymore pic? I've been fixin to build a pair layout boats out of wood & fiberglass this looks much easier, quicker, less expensive and safer as a hunting platform.

I did take a couple of pics throughout construction, but they didn't turn out very good

If you don't mind me asking how much time & money have you invested?

I think it took 6 or 7 evenings to build and paint and the total cost was around $250(took 3 1/2 gal of resin-what most of the cost went to)
Cut that Sucka'-Phil R.
duckboy_390
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:26 pm

I have started on my own foam boat project now. I have it all cut out & ready to be fiberglassed. Has anyone else started on a new boat? :cool:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby Dogman » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:08 am

Sounds like a project I could get serious about but I have others to finish first,keep us posted on the progress.If you have any pics to post,that would be good. :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:19 pm

I don't think that I will get back to it till after I get my other two turkeys.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby Labs 4 sale » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:02 am

I need to build me one of these but unable to view the pic's. can anyone help me. Thanks
Labs 4 sale
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:11 pm

Ditto on the pics...I can't see them also

I'm starting on a duck boat from Butler Boat Designs....www.butlerprojects.com.

Going to take a while, doesn't get warm enough to work the resin until May at the earliest (gotta love Montana winters)
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby duckboy_390 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:32 pm

Here's some pics........

Cut that Sucka'-Phil R.
duckboy_390
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds