HydroTurf???

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

HydroTurf???

Postby MJO21 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:35 pm

I am asking here because I figure several people have tried it and a lot of us have Labs...

I have a Champion Fish & Ski that I need to redo the carpet in. I am thinking that HydroTurf would be cheapest and an all around good choice. I do not fish from this boat very often. It is our family boat. The carpet is usually too hot to stand on and we take our lab with us most of the time and his hair is near impossible to remove from the carpet.

How hard is it to clean HydroTurf of pet hair? Once the carpet is dry will the pet hair sweep out our will it vacuum out easily?

How is the surface temp of HydroTurf when in the sun...I am looking at a gray color...
Thanks,
Mike
MJO21
hunter

Re: HydroTurf???

Postby Delta1389 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:21 am

http://www.mudmotortalk.com/mmt_v2/view ... =4&t=44563

Do this instead. Same stuff as the hydro turf and a fraction of the cost. Also in the color you are looking for.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby MarshMayhem » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:44 pm

I don't know how easily hydro turf cleans, but the product that was mentioned that's "just like hydroturf" is not. I have it in my boat and its fine, but no hydroturf. fyi
MarshMayhem
Newb

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:55 pm

MarshMayhem wrote:I don't know how easily hydro turf cleans, but the product that was mentioned that's "just like hydroturf" is not. I have it in my boat and its fine, but no hydroturf. fyi

What makes it hard to keep clean?
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Hydroturf is super easy to clean. After bowfishing I washed mine with a garden hose took 90% of what I wanted off, took a brush touched the few remaining spots and it looked like new. There is only one Hydroturf, I've tried a few other options and nothing compares.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby MJO21 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:47 pm

I am not worried about fish guts and blood. This is my family boat. We head out for a day on the sand bar and the dog goes with us. My concern is...is lab hair easy to get out? Jax does not like the boat ride but insists on being with us. Once at the sandbar he is 100% water dog! The boat ride is stressful for him. He curls up under the counsel and sheds like crazy. Will I be able to sweep his hair out of the HydroTurf or be able to vacuum his hair out of the HydroTurf or am I going to have to power wash his hair out of the HydroTurf???.

MJO
MJO21
hunter

Postby lilfukr79 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:06 am

I have black hydro turf and in the summer in the sun it does not burn feet. its a little warm to the touch at first but will not hurt. I do not have a dog so I don't deal with pet hair but I don't honestly think hair will stick to it when dry. cleans really easy with hose and have heard of people using pressure washers on theirs, just don't get to close with pressuse. Worth every penny!!!
lilfukr79
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:56 am

The hair is nothing to worry about. Any of your mentioned methods of cleaning will work. I have a lab goes with me all the time. Be way easier then any carpet I've seen. Hair isn't going to stick or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:20 am

I have never worried about dog hair in my hydroturfed hunting boats (all four that I've owned) but neither has it been a problem. We usually take a couple of dogs that become wet and sometimes muddy on every trip. Hydroturf is too hard of a surface for dog hair to go down into it. I would think that if your dog sheds the hair will be laying loose on the top. You can just crank up your leaf blower and blow it out before putting the boat away, if it bugs you that much. In fact, any dog hair on dry hydroturf would, I think, blow out of the boat as you trailer it home.

I have carpet on my 21' ski boat and it is a PITA getting the dog hair and sand out of the carpet. We have to vacuum it.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby augunner » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:52 pm

Hydroturf will send you a small patch of the color you want as a test patch. Call and get one sent and you'll be able to see for yourself before spending the money. But hydroturf is more like rubber than carpet. Dog hair should be no problem at all.
augunner
Newb

Postby h.kizzle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm

I have a couple sample patches from hydroturf and looked at the Sears mats the other day, I think I'd pay the extra money for the hydroturf. It seems like it would be more durable. It's a bit more dense and I'd rather not have a rip and have to replace after a season. I also think the Sears stuff looks like it would get a little slippery when wet. My $0.02
h.kizzle
hunter

Postby dog walker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:38 am

Hydro turf is the only way to go. During the dog days of summer I walk around my boat with no shoes on ever. As far as clean up goes I've never had an issue keeping it clean of mud and debris of any kind.
dog walker
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:40 am

I have it in my mud boat. Worth every penny!
MNGunner
hunter

Postby pintaildrake09 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:16 pm

MNGunner wrote:I have it in my mud boat. Worth every penny!

x2 worth it 100% the sears stuff is not the same...hydroturf holds up great IMO
pintaildrake09
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds