Mud Motors and Mud Boats

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Mud Motors and Mud Boats

Postby T Man » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:06 am

h.kizzle wrote:I went back and read it again, it still wasn't good. I'm not saying that as a sponsor you shouldn't benefit via some advertising, but to put a label of "wonderful" on that short write-up is mislabelling at its finest. If it were a true review of motors, meant to inform the uninformed, it should have started with an explanation of the two main styles of motors that are used, longtail and surface drive and perhaps a bit of a timeline of the evolution of mud motors in the US. Then he should have covered the advantages and disadvantages of each style of motor. Include a portion explaining the pairing of motors and hulls, you know, how many HP to throw on what sized hull. Follow that up with a brief breakdown of the differences in features offered by the top manufacturers, not just Pro-Drive and Gator Tail. If it's a review, it should also avoid showing bias towards any one brand. If he included those things or at least most of them in his piece, it would probably fit the bill as wonderful. As it is, it reads like something off the opinion page in the local newspaper. I mean no offense to the OP, and its too bad you guys defending him couldn't give him the constructive criticism to help him write a better piece. That would probably benefit him and his website greatly. What I read when I clicked on the link didn't make me want to explore what he has to offer on his page. Hell, I may consider becoming a sponsor in the near future as well. If I choose to do so, I will follow my own advice as well. I wish nothing but the best of luck to marshmutt.com. Might wanna consider some assistance with writing articles is all.

DHC is always looking for contributors for articles on the front page.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:01 am

t_baker wrote:You guys realize that this site wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for the sponsors like Muddytwelveguage? If the man wants to post a short write up I say go for it. He is almost weekly posting discount codes and sales from his site. How many other sponsors do that?

Maybe next time instead of making snide remarks you should thank the man for his contributions to this site.

X3
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:11 pm

h.kizzle wrote:I went back and read it again, it still wasn't good. I'm not saying that as a sponsor you shouldn't benefit via some advertising, but to put a label of "wonderful" on that short write-up is mislabelling at its finest. If it were a true review of motors, meant to inform the uninformed, it should have started with an explanation of the two main styles of motors that are used, longtail and surface drive and perhaps a bit of a timeline of the evolution of mud motors in the US. Then he should have covered the advantages and disadvantages of each style of motor. Include a portion explaining the pairing of motors and hulls, you know, how many HP to throw on what sized hull. Follow that up with a brief breakdown of the differences in features offered by the top manufacturers, not just Pro-Drive and Gator Tail. If it's a review, it should also avoid showing bias towards any one brand. If he included those things or at least most of them in his piece, it would probably fit the bill as wonderful. As it is, it reads like something off the opinion page in the local newspaper. I mean no offense to the OP, and its too bad you guys defending him couldn't give him the constructive criticism to help him write a better piece. That would probably benefit him and his website greatly. What I read when I clicked on the link didn't make me want to explore what he has to offer on his page. Hell, I may consider becoming a sponsor in the near future as well. If I choose to do so, I will follow my own advice as well. I wish nothing but the best of luck to marshmutt.com. Might wanna consider some assistance with writing articles is all.

I appreciate the fact you are entitled to your opinions.

And thank you for reading this article that you did not enjoy, multiple times!

Josh
www.marshmutt.com "Keeping the Steel Flying and the Dogs Retrieving"
A Duck Hunting Chat Sponsor
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby dogyak » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:31 pm

WOW , for someone who just became a member not very long ago is throwing a lot of criticism . Sometimes its best to just sit back and keep some comments too yourself instead of insulting . With that being said , all mud motors have there place depending on what conditions their being used . I have a LT , I run in salt flats mostly in florida . It has served me well and that's is all that matters . Advise should be giving , but not as an insult too what brand and such . I like too spend my money on trips for better hunting and fishing , so I got a swamp runner which gives me what I want . Good luck too the OP and too you .
dogyak
hunter

Postby h.kizzle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Being new here doesn't mean I have to keep quiet. I was just calling a spade a spade. If I put up a picture of a bag of apples and said look at this bag of oranges, someone would surly point out my error. If it was a good piece of work, I would have commended the author. As would the others who found it to be lackluster. I thought an educated explanation of where I was coming from might help those who got so offended. In classic forum behavior you dudes who think posting a lot of times or that a couple of years of being on a site make you superior to new guy. It doesn't mean jack. I'm sorry for calling out poor writing, I didn't intend to offend.
h.kizzle
hunter

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Kizzle,

Don't sweat it. I get it , you did not like it! That's no problem, and purely your opinion.
www.marshmutt.com "Keeping the Steel Flying and the Dogs Retrieving"
A Duck Hunting Chat Sponsor
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby dogyak » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:16 pm

h.kizzle wrote:Being new here doesn't mean I have to keep quiet. I was just calling a spade a spade. If I put up a picture of a bag of apples and said look at this bag of oranges, someone would surly point out my error. If it was a good piece of work, I would have commended the author. As would the others who found it to be lackluster. I thought an educated explanation of where I was coming from might help those who got so offended. In classic forum behavior you dudes who think posting a lot of times or that a couple of years of being on a site make you superior to new guy. It doesn't mean jack. I'm sorry for calling out poor writing, I didn't intend to offend.

Posting or being here a couple of years has nothing too do with being superior . The fact of the matter is you are rude . Who are you too call or correct bad writing . Maybe you are the one who wants to feel superior . Your quote " I didn't intend to offend " . Yes you did or you've never would have wrote it , :eek: . Now go write your novel on being an superior educated JERK ! :welcome:
dogyak
hunter

Postby h.kizzle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 pm

Dogyak, thanks bud, now go work on your vocab. Start with the words to and too and when you're done, freshen up on a and an. You are, in fact, one of the ever so common "I've been here longer so I know more" forum guys. Go ahead and call me a name, classic response. That's some playground stuff and it fits perfect with your grammar. Ha! I called a spade a spade and it really gets your goat. Sorry for being educated. Stay savvy on that keyboard.
Last edited by h.kizzle on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
h.kizzle
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:22 pm

kizzle welcome to the forum! You will no doubt find plenty of armchair duck hunters on here to engage. You might want to proof your own posts when calling someone out for poor grammar though! "when your done" ?
blackrock
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:33 am

Seriously, this is still going on?????????????
Give it a F$^!&G Break!
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby h.kizzle » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:42 am

blackrock wrote:kizzle welcome to the forum! You will no doubt find plenty of armchair duck hunters on here to engage. You might want to proof your own posts when calling someone out for poor grammar though! "when your done" ?

Touché blackrock, total burn. I totally missed that and that's one of the most misused words out there. LOL. Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I went back and fixed it. I was in the middle of frying up some walleye last night when I posted that one. Not here to get into it with guys at all although it does seem I found a couple of the armchair duckhunters you speak of. I'll do my by best to engage only on a positive level. If sincere, thank you for the welcome.
h.kizzle
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:03 pm

It's sincere. Lets focus on the positives of our awesome sport (or addiction) and share our great experiences with family and friends. I didn't even read the mud motor writeup as I'm not looking for one. My advice to anyone looking at any boat and or motor is to go drive it where you will hunt before investing!
blackrock
hunter

Postby pintaildrake09 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:58 pm

It was a short write up i did 350 words nothing more and nothing less. I didnt wanna go on 10 pages about every match up and brand. I have been a commercial fisherman since i was a kid and i've been around ALMOST every brand of mm and custom built and mass production boat around here in Louisiana. I also build custom aluminum boats specifically for mud motors. So here we go...
production longtails- normally standard 72" or 60" shaft. stationary handle. Has alot of reach if high centered or in stumps/logs needing a hole to get momentum. normally used and best suited in swamps
mud buddy- belt drive, electric trim, has fwd and neutral and also a momentary forward. floating handle. Does not have reverse, they are working on this as we speak. They work great in a vast amount of areas.
prodrive- gear driven,manual or hydro reverse, full power reverse, electric trim, has fwd, neutral, and reverse, stationary handle. They do great in the thick veggies and also mud
gatortail- belt drive, electric trim, instant reverse, fwd, neutral, reverse, floating handle. Does great in mud, veggies, and stumps
godevil surface drive- belt drive,manual trim, floating handle. Does great in all areas and is very simple so usually means less to break
now for boats..
Production boats tend to be thinner .100 or .90 gauge and some people can get away with using those. Around here in south Louisiana not so much. the boats we build typically are .125 or some will go with a thicker bottom and use .125 for everything else. Boats specifically built for mudmotors are built with longitudinal bracings(bow to stern) as where MAJORITY of production boats are built with cross bracing. Reason for this is going over stumps and logs it flows and does not catch. With a cross bracings boat the stump and or log will catch at the brace and create a hook which then hurts performance. A flat bottom boat will also out perform a ribbed boat due to water disturbance, these motors run at the surface and like flat undisturbed water. As far as boat size the sky is the limit, it all varys on what you'll be doing with the boat and types of loads you'll carry. Some will run faster solo but then be a turd when you load it down. While others may be a few mph slower and carry a load much better. Longtails tend to like long and narrow, surface drives tend to like long and a little wider. For example a 23 hp longtail would suit well with a 17x38. 35 hp surface drive would suit well with a 17x54 or a 18x48. Not saying this is what you're limited to, just what alot of people run for an all around boat. The match ups are unlimited you just may not get the performance others do with better matchups. The best thing i can tell you if you're looking is to test drive! Talk to the motor manufacturer and tell him what you will be doing. They know what runs best for their motors.

any other questions???
Im partial to gatortail because thats what I run and like the best, ive ran and owned most of the others and this is where im at.
It was a short blog just trying to hit the basics not to fully walk through every bit and piece about mudmotors and boats...i could go on for days :beer:
pintaildrake09
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds