Kayak hunting

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Kayak hunting

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:54 pm

How many of you guys hunt out of kayaks? How much should I be expecting to pay. And what type of motor could I put on it (trolling) if any at all?
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Re: Kayak hunting

Postby shsuhunter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:23 pm

there was a thread bout this last month or so.. you can try searching it. there was a lot of information about hunting out of kayaks
shsuhunter
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:53 pm

there are a couple threads about it.

I've always suggested the Creek Boats M98 that I have. set up for a trolling motor already and made for hunting. its like a hybrid of a kayak/layout (marsh boat)/ canoe
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:54 pm

Now looking at an otter stealth. Anyone have plans to make one a layout boat style
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:01 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:Now looking at an otter stealth. Anyone have plans to make one a layout boat style

the M98 is about $200 cheaper. and I lay in it layout style sometimes.

I also added a bungee around the outside to attach grass to.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Right now I just looked and the m98 is more expensive than the final attack, stealth 1200, and predator.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:25 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:Right now I just looked and the m98 is more expensive than the final attack, stealth 1200, and predator.

where are you finding a 1200 for so cheap? every where I look they are around $700.

its a little more than the final attack and the phantom. the final attack doesnt paddle well due to being square, and the phantom is just too small IMO and you cant put a motor on it.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:57 pm

whoops got the two mixed up. My bad...
Last edited by IowaWaterfowler10 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:58 pm

2nd page, Stealth questions. Posted pics of mine.

Didnt even need to use the search function.

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=426337
t_baker
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:38 am

there have been a few topics on kayaks, canoes, and other small boats recently. I've posted in some of them about the nucanoe frontier I got this season. Depends on what you want and what you can spend. I've looked at the creek boats I just didn't care for them being more like a sit in canoe and I can only fit one person. Thats why I just spent the extra on a nucanoe frontier 12 it was a combination of everything I wanted. Easy to paddle, super stable, could use small motor/trolling motor, could accomodate two, or be set up for one, with one I can layout in it, it can be set up well for fishing or hunting, and it's hard to find someone who has one and doesn't like it. Sure it wasn't cheap, but kayaks, canoes, hybrids or whatever you go with it's worth spending the money on a good one cause you'll wish you had in the long run. look at the bass pro ascend sit on top kayaks there is a 10ft and 12ft model I thought about going with the 12ft model as they are pretty stable and versitile and pretty well priced. I still think about getting the 10ft model for days I wanna paddle alone and have something a little lighter and easy to carry around than the nucanoe.

ten foot model
http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-D10T-SitO ... 505321113/

12ft model
http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-Sit ... 707113412/

For the money the ascend kayaks are hard to beat they get good reviews and from what I've looked at they seems good for the money.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby RickC » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:00 am

handyandy wrote:For the money the ascend kayaks are hard to beat they get good reviews and from what I've looked at they seems good for the money.

I really like the new layout of the 2014 ascend FS12T. I haven't been able to find any field reviews for it yet, mainly concerned with speed as I mostly hunt rivers.
RickC
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:57 am

Kayak hunting you shouldn't be concerned with speed your not gonna be going fast paddling anything. I'm sure it's not as fast as some narrower kayaks. It's pretty wide thats how it gets it's stability same with my nucanoe. I'm sure they paddle well but probable aren't as fast as some but I'd take a little slower paddling for good stability. I know reviews of the 10ft one and the old style 12ft people said they are stable enough to stand up in pretty easily. I thought about pulling the trigger on one but I ended up finding a deal on a used nucanoe frontier 12 which I'm I spent the extra for it's awesome. The ascends for the money are hard to beat from what I understand though the plastic isn't as thick as some of the higher end kayaks and they aren't going to have the technical and warranty support of more high end company but they are a lot cheaper. These perception kayaks are great for the money as well too I was considering one of these as well, but like I said I really wanted a nucanoe I knew if I got anything else I'd still be wanting the nucanoe but these are a good option as well for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Perception-Sport- ... 12ft+kayak
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby RickC » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:11 pm

the pescador 12 would be my first choice for a fairly fast kayak, less stable than some of the others mentioned.
RickC
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:38 pm

it all depends on what you want the fs12t is gonna have more storage and stability than the pescador they are both good for the money however. Personally I'd rather have the storage and stability plus the ascend can take a trolling motor.

handyandy
hunter

Postby KJV » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:31 pm

Hobie kayaks with the mirage drive are hands free propulsion...check them out as well.
KJV
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:15 am

Hobie is a great kayak, but you don't want that drive in shallow rocky rivers. Plus hobie and low cost, don't match up. :smile:

The new Fs12 is a great improvement over the old model. The old one had some problems with thin plastic and having spray foam under the seat area. I hope they resolved that but have not been able to look at one up close. It has a nice design. Its only 12' and 31" wide so, so not real fast or slow in the middle somewhere, but only displaces 350 pounds. The ride series kayaks do 500 and 550 in comparison. hunting gear and birds get heavy. This displacement might be its main limitation for hunting.

The Prescador kayaks have the same weight limit and I know guys complain with them loaded and having water coming up through the scuppers.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby handyandy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:44 am

As I stated earlier and cupped n committed is pointing out to get really good kayaks you have to spend some I was trying to give the OP some more affordable but pretty good options. For the money from what I've seen the ascedn fs12 and pescador are hard to beat. But as stated they do have some faults but are about half the price of anything that is much better. It's part of the reason why I bit the bullit and just saved and bought a nucanoe it met all the requirements I had and hasn't fell short yet. I knew if I rushed and bought anything else I probably would still be wanting one and would spend more in the end. Is the nucanoe as fast as some paddling no but it paddles pretty easy, tracks well, turns well, and if I wanna scoot I have a 55lb thrust trolling motor for it. I'm also thinking of making a light weight lontail for it using the 2.5hp harbor freight engine and sps mini longtail kit. As this doesn't weigh anymore than my battery and troller but would take it through anything easily might almost be too fast really.

handyandy
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:48 pm

The Nucanue frontier is a good kayak and stable. its slower than some from its width, but why it is very stable. Its faster than any marsh boat anyone will paddle though!

You buy what you can afford. I bought a cheap kayak from ****'s for my first one. It does nothing but hang in the garage as a spare now if some kid wants to tag along fishing. Now I have a Commander and Ride 135 and hunt and fish from them as they are stable, convenient and work better.

A hobie or a slayer propel would be awesome, I just can justify that much for a peddle drive with kids and their schooling still. :smile:

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KJV » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Never said it would be cheap...just giving OP other options, he/she never set a price limit. Like anything, try before you buy.
KJV
hunter

Postby RickC » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:09 pm

any thoughts on the feelfree moken 12.5? It looks like this is a new kayak that is stable but also relatively fast. That is exactly what I have been searching for. Its a bit expensive, but I hope the next kayak I buy will be my last.

RIck C.
RickC
hunter

Postby bubba682 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:52 pm

RickC wrote:any thoughts on the feelfree moken 12.5? It looks like this is a new kayak that is stable but also relatively fast. That is exactly what I have been searching for. Its a bit expensive, but I hope the next kayak I buy will be my last.

RIck C.

I own one its fast but its a little tippy i rolled it in january all i can say is it was cold lol but its some nice hunting and fishing those hard to get at spots with it..
Huntin the barrens of Cape Breton.
bubba682
hunter

Postby Garand » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:27 pm

I bet you could make a SWEET hunting rig out of the new Old Town Predator, hell the stock color wouldn't require much work to make huntable!

Garand
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:03 pm

I really like the Predator and wanted to look at one, but they were selling for $1100 and I was able to get a Ride 135 in January as a close out for $850 and jumped all over it. Now I have the ride for me and the dog and the Commander for the daughter.

I think I like the slide trax on the Ride better than the replaceable mounting plates, but I would love to paddle a predator and see how that bow cuts through the water!

Also wonder how does the chair fold up. Can you fold it in the back, lean a pad on that cross bar and make it a layout? I have to experiment with how I will layout with my ride still.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Garand » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:07 pm

I haven't paddled the Predator yet either, but I should have an opportunity next weekend.
The seat flips completely over on the rear seat mount, every inch of flooring under it is exposed. I'm pretty sure a guy could figure out a way to sit in the floor like a layout boat. I may just give that a try, on dry ground, water temps are still in the low 40s here.

I can't blame you for picking up that 135 for that price! Great boats I spent 7hrs in mine yesterday trying to coax a bass to bite....

I caved in a few weeks ago and ordered a PA14.. figure I spend enough time kayak fishing, I might as well spring for the premier platform.
Garand
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:08 am

Yea, the pro angler really is nice, but heavy! :smile: They list the 12 as 98# for the hull and 120# rigged weight which would be chair and drive. Its the Battleship of kayaks. :yes:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds