Kayak hunting

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Kayak hunting

Postby Garand » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:24 am

I have a kayak trailer already, so the weight isn't much of a concern, hell its no heavier than my 4Rivers was and I hauled it in the bed of my truck.

Post some pics of your blind build for your RIDE when you get around to it!
Garand
hunter

Postby KJV » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:46 pm

Garland. You will be happy with your PA 14. I have the 12 and love it. From fishing to waterfowl hunting, it is fitting the bill! Heavy indeed but like you have a trailer and have roof racked it as well.
KJV
hunter

Postby jsa » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:11 am

I hunted out of my cheap Pelican kayak last season. It helped me get into some good water but it just left me wanting a more stable boat. I just picked up this little gem. It's a Hurricane Open Fisherman. It's a discontinued model. 13 feet long, weighs about 55 lbs and it's a completely open design. I'm playing around with a gun mount in the Scotty rod holder up front. I think it'll look good all grassed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsa
State Moderator

Postby Tanner01 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:23 am

I'm not a big fan of hunting out of a kayak. Stability issues and safety. That being said I use a native two man I set up with just one seat I had it equipped with a bass yak trolling motor kit. Works well for fishing as well as duckhunting. I only use it to get to a spot and only in the swamp, would never use it in any real water during the season. Though during the summer I use it in the ocean and it's really pretty good.

Last month at the hunting and fishing show I saw a hobbies kayak with foot pedals like a bike to power it. Expensive for a kayak/canoe but it's on my wish list. 500 lb capacity.
Seems a little wide for a double paddle but probably end up with motor mount on it anyways.
http://www.hobiefishing.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-12/
The best kayak / boat is always my next one! :grooving:
Tanner01
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:39 am

I flipped my nucanoe frontier 12 once but that was buddy and I own missdoing going over a log jam that created some small rapids and turbulence. With that said it's really hard to flip that nucanoe you almost have to try or royally screw up like we did. With two guys sitting on raised up fishing boat seats it's still pretty stable with the low sitting factory bench seats it's even more so. I love it so far I need to work on making a layout blind for it. In my nucanoe two of shooting out of it was easy to do.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds