Boat Transformation 2

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Boat Transformation 2

Postby sftull » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:23 am

I bought a 1648 Aluma Weld w/ 40hp Johnson over the weekend. The hull needs some work and the tilt/trim has some issue but the engine runs good. The carpet was trashed and the foam under the floor was water logged.

When I got it home.

After a few hours of work...

I will be painting the hull camo, paint the motor black and put hydroturf on the floor. I will also be adding a small stereo system, led lights like I had in my Gator Tail rig and shark eyes in the front.
sftull
hunter

Re: Boat Transformation 2

Postby sftull » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:29 am

After Church yesterday, I got back to the demo. All of the drains to the bilge were filled with foam. The guy I bought it from said "it dont leak dude"....heck you couldn't tell if it was leaking b/c the foam was soaking it up. I have pulled out four 30gal bags of carpet and water logged foam. After all of the foam was out and the drains to the bilge opened up, I pulled the motor off and cut all of the wires out. The wiring was a complete cluster.

Gas tank and battery compartment.

Will be replacing the open cell foam that was in the boat with closed cell foam.

Now I have to finish cleaning off the glue, pressure wash the inside and start putting it all back together. When I was closing the door to the shop, the windshield got caught under it and broke it all to pieces. Now I've got to find a new windshield.

I bought two rolls of the diamond pattern anti fatigue mats from pepboys. Its the same material as Hydroturf but I will be able to finish the whole boat for less than one sheet of HT.
Last edited by sftull on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sftull
hunter

Postby Swanny » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:40 am

Looks like you have a nice canvas to work from now.
Last edited by Swanny on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swanny
hunter

Postby bigbuckilla » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:58 pm

nice motor... will work very well for ya, and very easy to work on / get parts for
bigbuckilla
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:01 pm

Nice how the guy tied off the motor with rope to the corner of the trailer. That probably put a fair amount of stress on the transom and your hydraulic trim. Add a transom/motor saver.

If your duck hunting in that boat, you might consider shortening those back boxes the length where the seat post is located. It will add about two feet to your floor plan. Its east, scroll saw and a rivet gun.

Just an option for you to think about
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby sftull » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:19 am

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:Nice how the guy tied off the motor with rope to the corner of the trailer. That probably put a fair amount of stress on the transom and your hydraulic trim. Add a transom/motor saver.

If your duck hunting in that boat, you might consider shortening those back boxes the length where the seat post is located. It will add about two feet to your floor plan. Its east, scroll saw and a rivet gun.

Just an option for you to think about

Haha....I tired the rope around it just to keep it from turning. The tilt/trim was already shot and I will have a transom saver on it when done.

I will probably continue to duck hunt out of my kayak b/c it goes places the other rubberheads can't go :biggrin:
sftull
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:05 am

cut out those middle sections of the back deck and you will have yourself some nice pod seats you could add lids to for storage underneath get rid of the console and convert that motor to tiller. Tons of that style rude and johnson 40-50 were made tiller arm shouldn't be to much or hard to find from ebay or someone on the iboats forum. Put the gas and batteries up front your whole inside will be open for moving around fishing or hunting. Thats what I would do if it were mine to each his own though. I like the boat and it looks like your off to a good start. I'm guessing you got a deal on it. It's a good welded hull to start with and a good engine easy to work on and parts are a dime a dozen for them.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby sftull » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:31 am

Picked up a nice '88 model Evinrude 60hp on the CL and sold the 40hp Johnson. Motor just needed a good cleaning and some paint, so I sanded the hood down and its in primer right now.
sftull
hunter

Postby sftull » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:58 am

Not done but getting closer.

sftull
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:34 am

Good looking remodel. What did yo use to fix the mats to the floor with. I have the same mats but haven't put them down yet.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby Roughneck5011 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:42 am

Do the anti fatigue mats get hot in direct sunlight or does it stay cool. I'm trying to find something that doesn't get hot in the sunlight and wont break the bank either
Roughneck5011
hunter

Postby sftull » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:54 am

CountryRN wrote:Good looking remodel. What did yo use to fix the mats to the floor with. I have the same mats but haven't put them down yet.

Contact cement
sftull
hunter

Postby sftull » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:55 am

Roughneck5011 wrote:Do the anti fatigue mats get hot in direct sunlight or does it stay cool. I'm trying to find something that doesn't get hot in the sunlight and wont break the bank either

After being out in the direct sun for over 5 hrs, they were actually cool on my feet. I would say its better than hydroturf as far as staying cool. I don't think it will last as long or wear as well as hydroturf but I did the hole boat for $60. Hydroturf would have cost around $500.
sftull
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:06 am

sftull wrote:
Roughneck5011 wrote:Do the anti fatigue mats get hot in direct sunlight or does it stay cool. I'm trying to find something that doesn't get hot in the sunlight and wont break the bank either

After being out in the direct sun for over 5 hrs, they were actually cool on my feet. I would say its better than hydroturf as far as staying cool. I don't think it will last as long or wear as well as hydroturf but I did the hole boat for $60. Hydroturf would have cost around $500.

Where did you get those mats?
t_baker
hunter

Postby sftull » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:57 am

t_baker wrote:
sftull wrote:

Pepboys but you can get them from sears and other autoparts stores. Just tell them you want the anti fatigue mats. It comes in a 4'x8' roll and is about 1/4" thick. Its the same color as the dark grey HT.
sftull
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:50 pm

sftull wrote:
t_baker wrote:
sftull wrote:

Pepboys but you can get them from sears and other autoparts stores. Just tell them you want the anti fatigue mats. It comes in a 4'x8' roll and is about 1/4" thick. Its the same color as the dark grey HT.

All I can ever find is in those snap together mats. I want a roll like that. Thank you!
t_baker
hunter

Postby cjg » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:34 am

That looks Awesome! Great job!
cjg
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:07 am

Love the remodel. Wish I could pull something like that off.... Nice work
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby strutlife » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:49 pm

A very nice transformation.
strutlife
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds