14 foot with only trolling motor?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

14 foot with only trolling motor?

Postby luie b » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:24 pm

Found a good 14' v-bow I like but the guy don't have a motor to sell with it and quite frankly I wanna save up for a good reliable 9.9 that's newer some day. So I was thinking since most spots aren't farther than 400 yards from the ramp would it be crazy to only use a trolling motor?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Re: 14 foot with only trolling motor?

Postby bulletman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:48 am

I personally would use a trolling motor only where I hunt, but I take a second battery to ensure I can get back and don't have any big water (wind and waves) to fight where I'm hunting.
bulletman
hunter

Postby CLAYBREAKER22701 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:26 am

I use a v hull lowe sea nymph (for sale here also) and fish a few local - electric only lakes. Using a AC Delco group 27 Marine battery and a Minn Kota Edura 50lb trolling motor I can fish for hours and cover miles of lake with that trolling motor. If you are going 400 yars only- I would say go for it.
CLAYBREAKER22701
hunter

Location: North of Richmond - South of DC-West of 95 - East of the Mountains.

Postby gahunter706 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:56 am

Not crazy at all. 400yds won't take long to cover even with a trolling motor. We had to hunt the last day of the season this year in my buddies 1436 with a 40lb trolling motor because the controls on my boat broke. We probably went 3/4 of a mile each way and took 2 batteries to make sure we would make it, but the first battery was still going strong when we got back to the ramp. We had to get up a little earlier to beat people, but in the end we killed more ducks then everybody around us.
gahunter706
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:01 am

Last year my buddy and I went bowfishing once or twice a week in his 14' v haul with nothing but a trolling motor and we were trolling roughly around 3 miles each trip. Its slightly slower going but it will get you to where you need.
muskrat24
hunter

Postby TJP » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:21 am

I was in a similar situation earlier in this season, only our boat was a flat-bottom. The trolling motor works well, especially for a short trip, ours was about 600 yards from the launch. We ended up with a 9.5 and a 15hp for the back depending on water conditions and lake restrictions, but we leave the trolling motor on for picking up cripples. Less work than a pull-cord, quieter, and usually only takes an extra minute compared to the gas motor.
TJP
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:35 am

I have a 12 footer that I only use a trolling motor on. I would definately get 2 deep cycle batteries. With this setup, I can move pretty quick and very quiet in the mornings. And I completely load this boat down with a lot of decoys. But, the downside to this is the wind. I was 400 yards from the parking lot and it took about an hour and a half because of the wind. My brother has a smaller trolling motor on his 14 footer. They both work great but are very limited. Also, look into a self resetting circuit breaker. I lost a motor due to too much juice coming from the battery. It fried out in the middle of the pond. My new motor has one to protect it.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby CLAYBREAKER22701 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:08 pm

If money isn't a problem go with a 70lb motor or higher. That should put you out there fine. Quality trolling motor and a lightly used gas motor down the line.
CLAYBREAKER22701
hunter

Location: North of Richmond - South of DC-West of 95 - East of the Mountains.

Postby mudpack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:27 am

What's your other option, rowing??

No-brainer......
mudpack
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:14 am

by the time you buy a trolling motor and two deep cycle batteries to be safe and a charger for them assuming that you don't have these already maybe you do idk. You could put that money towards a sps longtail kit and a $100 harbor freight motor that will take that little boat most anywhere and wouldn't cost much more than the batteries and trolling motor. Now if you already have a good battery and atleast 50pound thrust motor then go for it with that it will work just not the fastest or the best. Weeds tend to not be friends of trolling motors.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:20 am

handyandy wrote: Weeds tend to not be friends of trolling motors.

The "Weedless Prop" is crap. I have a motor with this on it and it is not weedless at all. I love my little setup with my boat and trolling motor, but this has got to be the biggest pain in the butt! Before the sun comes up, you cannot stear around the weeds. Great point!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby JFord56 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:57 pm

It will work in a pinch. I use mine just for picking up ducks and cripples. Saved my tail once and got me back to the landing when ob wouldn't start. Dito what they said on the longtail kit.
JFord56
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:59 pm

as mentioned the wind is a killer. Something else to consider is tide. I hunt out of a small 12ft with a 30lb trolling motor and with a full charge, 1+ mile is cake. Theres just a little bit of current in this small ditch i hunt, but it will zap the life out of a battery quick especially in the colder temps.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Would depend on the area for me. I have run a 35lb on my 1436 Alumacraft on certain lakes due to motor restrictions. It went long distances, but as someone else said it never hurts to have an extra battery.

Sent from my new blue iPhone with Anti-Botiz software
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds