Suggestions for duck boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Suggestions for duck boat

Postby tarheel5 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:34 pm

I no there are lots of thoughts on boats but I am new to duck hunting and fell in love with it. I went to arkansas but live in South Carolina so in home state I will primary hunt flooded timber and looking for a boat to hold two hunters. I have never owned a boat so a rookie to say the least and not wanting to spend $15,000.00 any suggestions. Thanks for helping a newbie out

Jack
tarheel5
Newb

Re: Suggestions for duck boat

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:57 pm

Every one drives a used duck boat - every one. So with that in mind may I suggest that you haunt Craigs list to find your used duck boat. There is a big turn over in boats - just like shot guns and automobiles. Affordably priced boats on Craigs list only last a few days. So you have to be constantly current on new postings to be a lucky winner of a well priced boat. $400 -$500 will get you a reasonable 14 -15 foot jon boat. It will often come with a trailer too. I prefer a 42" to 48" wide bottom. I wouldn't get any thing narrower than 36" wide bottom. Naturally for a motor, I prefer my own, utahmarshmotors.com. for a mud motor. For the a for mentioned size boats 14 HP seems to be the preferred ideal. Occasionally some one uses something as small as a 7 HP and for a 48" wide bottom some folks will mount a 25 HP motor. Finances often dictate the final motor choice. Buy as big as you can afford. A deal is often found on Craigs list again . A well maintained motor is not to be afraid of from a reputable maker. A motor and boat makes an amazing contribution to expanding your geographical hunting opportunities.

Welcome to the sport and have fun.

Mark f. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby scruggs12 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:01 am

http://www.riverhawkboats.com/msrppricelist.htm

http://www.riverhawkboats.com/15duckboat.htm

These are good boats. Very stable, cost effective, and won't break the bank. I have the smaller one, not the duck style. With a minimal motor, you could be set.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:03 am

Mark F. Cheney wrote: 14 -15 foot jon boat.... I prefer a 42" to 48" wide bottom. I wouldn't get any thing narrower than 36" wide bottom. .... Finances often dictate the final motor choice. Buy as big as you can afford.

Excellent advice, that. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby strutlife » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:23 am

I purchased a 2014G3 1548DK with a 20hp yamaha 4 stroke. Great boat for 2 or 3 hunters, can fish out of also. Came with "led headlights". My only gripe is it is way underpowered. You are doing the right thing by getting others opinions before buying. I have talked to several guys who buy a boat before duck season and sell afterwards. They do this every year. Makes no sense to me but to each his own.
strutlife
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:10 am

Take a look at our Phowler Prowler Series, two men, gear, dog and just a 12hp Copperhead and you have a very, very nice hunting rig for timber, rivers, lakes and marshes. Best part, you would have to put alot of options on one to get over $12K, all new. This is a true hunting machine, not a fishing boat dressed up to look like a hunting boat.

PW

PS I also have a very nice used 1436 Prowler with Blind and 18 hp Copperhead that I just took in on trade, have not even listed it yet, I think it will sell for around $9 k with everything. This is about a $14k rig new with all the options and blind on it.
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby Tealer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:35 pm

Look for a used TDB.