outbard troubles

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

outbard troubles

Postby Mike the Fox » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:26 pm

I've got a 1998 Johnson 60hp on my boat. if it sits for a week or two between using it, it starts hard. it will crank, fire, then die. eventually it will get going and then start and run fine all day and even the next. it always gets fresh fuel, I prime the bulb until hard, and it has a new fuel filter. it just started doing this and its pissing me off. any ideas?
Mike the Fox
hunter

Re: outbard troubles

Postby t_baker » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:07 pm

Ethanol in the new gas. Dirty carb causing hard starts. Probably struggling getting fuel and/or air. Give it a good cleaning and will probably start much better
t_baker
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:09 am

Dirty carb would be my guess. I would guess that over time the motor floods causing the hard start. Over a few days not enough fuel dumps in to cause a problem.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:14 am

If it is gonna sit for more than aday or 2. Pull the gas hose and run it dry. Keep's the carb float from getting gummed up.
KRB
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:25 am

good ideas, thanks guys. I will get my carbs clean and we have a place in town with ethanol free gas. i'll try running some of that. :thumbsup:
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby moqwack » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:08 am

KRB wrote:If it is gonna sit for more than aday or 2. Pull the gas hose and run it dry. Keep's the carb float from getting gummed up.

Do not do this as this motor has the vro on it and will still pump oil in to the carbs thus making your problem worse.
moqwack
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:18 am

KRB wrote:If it is gonna sit for more than aday or 2. Pull the gas hose and run it dry. Keep's the carb float from getting gummed up.

Bad Idea. 2 strokes rely on the oil in the gas for lubrication. Run it lean and you are running it lean on oil as well.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:00 am

Clean the carb like already said, also run non ethanol or stabilizer if you aren't going to use all the gas within a couple days
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:35 pm

Mike the Fox wrote:I've got a 1998 Johnson 60hp on my boat. if it sits for a week or two between using it, it starts hard. it will crank, fire, then die. eventually it will get going and then start and run fine all day and even the next. it always gets fresh fuel, I prime the bulb until hard, and it has a new fuel filter. it just started doing this and its pissing me off. any ideas?

Spend ~$25USD on a can of the BG 444 and pour it into your fuel tank. Get the engine to idle and spray several shots of Sea Foam into the carb intakes while reving it up a bit.

Did this to my Tohatsu (which began to develop similar symptoms) and it started/ran fine (this season) in temps down as low as 2 degrees fahrenheit.

Also, instead of running the carb(s) dry at the end of each run, leave the line hooked up and every 3-4 days, go out and squeeze the prime bulb until it gets full as this will keep fresh fuel in the carbs.

I also keep Stabil fuel stabilizer in the tank 365 days of the year as some gasoline that is sold as ethanol-free...ain't.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:00 am

The OP's problem sounds like a weak fuel pump to me.

T Man wrote:
Bad Idea. 2 strokes rely on the oil in the gas for lubrication. Run it lean and you are running it lean on oil as well.

Won't hurt the engine at all, not if you do what most do and let the engine just run at an idle after pulling the fuel line. When the oil /fuel runs out, the engine stops. Instantly. No damage. Besides, there is plenty of residual oil left in the bearings to let the engine die under no load. I always do this, have for decades. No problems.

Yuchi1 wrote:I also keep Stabil fuel stabilizer in the tank 365 days of the year as some gasoline that is sold as ethanol-free...ain't.
:thumbsup: Also good advice.....
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:36 am

One other item...check the entire fuel line for a pinhole/crack and/or bad connector(s) as you may be pulling air, plus check the primer bulb (if it doesn't pump up in 2-3 squeezes) as sometimes they start to fail internally.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:38 pm

I got new problems now. Lost fire. I've narrowed it down to either the stator or power pack. Shop tells me the only way to diagnose is with a dwell meter. Anybody been through this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby moqwack » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Cdi electronics has a trouble shooting guide online that can walk U through testing it. Also Just look at the stator if it looks like some nasty stuff is melting out of it then it's a stator. This doesn't always happen but it's easier than testing it.
moqwack
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:37 pm

So I bought a stator and power pack. Put in the power pack and it fired right up. Took it over to lake, put it in and it wouldn't start. Messed around and finally it started. Ran fine all day. Tried it a couple days later and no fire again. Tried it a day later and it fired right up. This thing is driving me nuts. My stator looks ok but I'm gonna put the new one in for good measure. Almost seems like I got a bad wire somewhere.

Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Try disconnecting the kill wire(black with yellow stripe) at the pack, just remember you will not be able to turn off with it disconnected, hook it back up to turn off. Could be a problem with key switch or wire.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:10 pm

That's a good idea boatman. I've wondered about the key switch

Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby threedogs » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:57 am

New spark plugs.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:28 pm

It's had plenty of new plugs. I put the stator in and now it's firing up quick. Waiting for my water muffs and a new water pump now

Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:27 am

Well it did it again. I ran it a few times with no problems and now I don't have any fire. It's got to be a bad wire. Does anybody know where to find a wiring schematic?
Mike the Fox
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds