Help! Manual Tilt for Shallow Water

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Help! Manual Tilt for Shallow Water

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:06 pm

So my boat is an '89 1648 Landau semi v with a 40 hp johnson, tiller steer. The transom has been converted to solid reinforced aluminum rather than wood, and the motor is bolted directly to it. The only tilt option on the boat is lifting it completely up and resting it on the little arms which takes the water intakes out of the water. There is no other manual or electric tilt/trim devices on it. So while the motor is not locked down (which i like for running the MO river) I need a way to hold the motor up while in shallow water. I am looking for the cheapest alternative possible. I do not want to put in a $600 electric trim. I know a lot of these motors either have just the hyd ram that you can lock in different angles, or the device with multiple detents with a pin holding it in place. I have searched high and low for either one of these things, and have had no luck. I am also open to any other methods out there.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Re: Help! Manual Tilt for Shallow Water

Postby T Man » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Does it not have trim holes for manually setting trim?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:20 pm

No it doesnt. The boat is down in Missouri or I would post a picture. It seriously just has one setting, all the way up on the trailer rests, or all the way down. Its weird.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:47 pm

Sounds like it was a model that originally had T&T on it from the factory and it was removed.

I realize you can't get to the model number right now but you can search iboats or the evinrude/Johnson site to determine if this one indeed had it from the factory.
tod0987
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:13 pm

It may be a rigged method but as a very cheep method until something more permanent method can be found, tilt the motor to the desired position and use a block of wood between the leg and transom to hold it tilted up. Just a thought.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:45 pm

tod0987 wrote:Sounds like it was a model that originally had T&T on it from the factory and it was removed.

I realize you can't get to the model number right now but you can search iboats or the evinrude/Johnson site to determine if this one indeed had it from the factory.

I think this is right. I went to Johnsons sight and the model I thought it was only showed electric trim.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:47 pm

CountryRN wrote:It may be a rigged method but as a very cheep method until something more permanent method can be found, tilt the motor to the desired position and use a block of wood between the leg and transom to hold it tilted up. Just a thought.

Would that hinder steering ability? I have also thought of ways to rig it. Maybe a length of rope with hooks to grab the cowling, and then attach it to the floor. That would probably hinder steering as well. Its just such an odd ball thing, I haven't found anyone else with a problem like this.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:06 pm

I've got a 50 Rude with T&T (just had the seal replaced) I'll go look tomorrow for ideas'

The block idea isn't a bad one. Cut grooves in each end so that the pins would sit in the grooves.

I was thinking and maybe if you have a friend who can fab and weld tubing, create two T pieces. The top of the T's would fit in the two pin holes and attach with a bolt. One on the transom mount and the other on the motor. The long vertical part of the T's would need to nest into each other. Basically you now have an "I" shape that can be lengthened or shortened. Then drill through holes which you would insert a hardened pin in to set the height. This would allow you to adjust it up or down, abit a little bit of work. This wouldn't be ideal but would probably be cheaper than a new T&T. If you're worried about hitting something use a weaker pin material that would shear under enough stress. wood dowl, fiberglass etc.

I don't think I'd want to tie ropes to the thin fiberglass cowl, wouldn't hold up long.
tod0987
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:27 pm

That sounds like a worthy option. I think I will try the block with the cutouts first and go from there.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:53 am

There are manual, electric, and hydraulic jack plates that will let you raise the motor for shallow water drive(SWD), if you want to go that way.

PM me (I'm not far from MO) about making a SWD setup. I have a fabrication shop and made an SWD for my old Merc 20 that worked extremely well. I'll bet I can come up with something similar for yours.
mudpack
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:15 am

mudpack wrote:There are manual, electric, and hydraulic jack plates that will let you raise the motor for shallow water drive(SWD), if you want to go that way.

PM me (I'm not far from MO) about making a SWD setup. I have a fabrication shop and made an SWD for my old Merc 20 that worked extremely well. I'll bet I can come up with something similar for yours.

I'd like to see that SWD.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Jangle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Not to steal the thread but can u post some pics oh the boat and the layout of it. I have one similar
Jangle
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Jangle wrote:Not to steal the thread but can u post some pics oh the boat and the layout of it. I have one similar

It will be awhile before I can get pics. I'm deploying as we speak, and wont be back till June. I will try to get my buddy to take some for me.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Jangle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:44 pm

Ok thanls and thanks for your service
Jangle
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:42 am

t_baker wrote:I'd like to see that SWD.

I wish I'd taken some pictures before I sold the motor, but I did not. :sad:
mudpack