Life vest for boat blind hunting

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Life vest for boat blind hunting

Postby weekendhunter » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:44 pm

As I get a little older, safety becomes more and more important. I have had trouble using a regular style life jacket with heavy hunting clothing and coats under it and I end up not wearing it because it doesn't fit. I just ordered a Cabelas Angler 3500 manual inflating life jacket hoping this would solve the problem. I realize if I go in during the late duck season in Nebraska, I have about 45 to 60 seconds before I'm in real trouble. I have never had one of these so here are a few questions. It doesn't look very big. Will this work with hunting coats ect on? It is a manual deploy jacket. Will the shock of hitting icy cold water or who knows cause me to have difficulty pulling the cord to deploy the jacket? Will an auto deploy start deploying during a hard rain or if this gets wet in the blind? Is the auto deploy a better option or something else possibly? Any thoughts on the best way to be safe while using a duck boat? Thanks.
weekendhunter
hunter

Re: Life vest for boat blind hunting

Postby Swanny » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Have you tried a mesh life vest? There is foam in the stomach area and lower back, but the shoulder area just has thin mesh.
Swanny
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:37 pm

I've owned a cabelas camo mesh life jacket for the past 3 years and wear it while traveling and found it to pretty comfortable. I'm short and big and it fits over my jacket easily. I haven't tried to shoot out of it, but I think I'd have no issues If I tried, there isn't much in the shoulder area.

I was going out by myself for inshore fishing more frequently and found normal vests hot during the summer, even the mesh one so I decided to buy an inflatable PFD last summer. Spent time in several outfitters trying on different brands as they all fit differently. I found that some were pretty stiff and limited movement in the neck area to the point it wasn't comfortable. In the end, if it's not comfortable, its not likely to get worn. I ended up buying a West Marine "Inshore Automatic/Manual Inflatable Life Vest PFD" for $110. I used it many times this past summer and after about 10 minutes pretty much forget I have it on. I do worry about splashing it and the pill dissolving, releasing the CO2 and inflating it, but it hasn't popped yet.

To answer your question about the inflatable ones, think of the pictures of the people on planes with the yellow jackets on. It is similar to what is packed inside the nylon shell. The shell has Velcro along the outside and when you pull the string the force of the vest filling pops the Velcro and it expands.

Good luck.
tod0987
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:13 pm

Have you looked at one of those life jacket coats they used to sell at cabelas?

I've never used one but it might be worth a look.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Probably should have asked those questions before you purchased, but here is my .02.

If you are going to buy an inflatable life vest it is possibly the dumbest thing you can do to cheap out and buy the manual infiator. With a manual jacket, you have zero chance if you go into the water unconscious. Since this is how many drownings occur with many skilled and experienced boaters it is beyond ignorant to not consider the possibility. Manual inflation vests are active, not passive like a normal life jacket or an automatic inflaton, which is the most critical application of a vest. The auto inflators only inflate when submerged.

There is also a mustang survival float coat

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreati ... country=25
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:19 am

I wear PFD's with mesh shoulder areas and just wear them under my jacket. I never take them off while on the water. When wardens stop me on the water its "Where's your PFD!" and I have to unzip the jacket to show them. :smile:

Don't forget a change of clothes. I have been swimming twice while hunting and quick dips with a PFD over chest waders require a new jacket and shirt. Finished hunting the second trip as I was prepared for it. First trip I went home, very quickly, as I was freezing.

Cold water will kill you fast! I wrote this for kayakers, so they could learn, not to die in cold water and prepare for it. Some of the clothes and cold water response stuff applies for duck hunters also.
http://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/cold-water-kayaking-safety-and-the-involentary-gasp/
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MS2XX » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:36 am

As a former commercial fisherman, often at sea in below freezing temps, i must agree with all the gentlemen's remarks above. In the summer I use a self inflating vest and in the winter while duck hunting, I have an old Flotation coat that is rather stiff so I intend to buy a newer version this year because they are much lighter and more flexible than the old type. Ask yourself... "Whats's my life worth ?" :thumbsup: MS2XX
MS2XX
MS2XX
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:43 am

Have you looked at a water-skier's life belt?
mudpack
hunter

Postby R. C. Day » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:46 am

Weekend Hunter,

I survived cardiac arrest January of last year, my Dr. told me no boating unless i have a life jacket on at all times.

The auto inflate is the ONLY one I will buy.

I can't deploy the manual if I am dead weight falling out of the boat.

You don't have a logical choice, buy the Store brand or spend more on the Mustang, that is your only choice.

R.C.
R. C. Day
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:06 am

To the comment " dumbest thing you could do....
Auto inflate is not so much for dead weight, but more to inflate automatically for someone who is a state of shock, due to the cold water, due to being underwater and confused, freaking out in the pitch black dark in the water.

I use a manual belt in shore. Everyone in my boat has some type of vest on while motoring to and from.

Having anything is much more than I see at the boat ramp or motoring .

Just have something .

I hunt with my belt on, no issues.

Be safe and enjoy.

It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Weedwacker wrote:To the comment " dumbest thing you could do....
Auto inflate is not so much for dead weight, but more to inflate automatically for someone who is a state of shock, due to the cold water, due to being underwater and confused, freaking out in the pitch black dark in the water.

I use a manual belt in shore. Everyone in my boat has some type of vest on while motoring to and from.

Just have something .

Be safe and enjoy.

A manual inflator is nothing nut an expensive scarf if you're unconscious
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:27 am

T Man wrote:
Weedwacker wrote:To the comment " dumbest thing you could do....

Just have something .

Be safe and enjoy.

A manual inflator is nothing nut an expensive scarf if you're unconscious

Why, that is correct! Expect it's around my waist and matches perfectly with my other camo ensemble . Looks maverlous!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:03 am

Guys If I understand the belts correctly they need to be put around your neck once they inflate. Not sure how well that can be done if you're knocked out if yall want to continue down the unconscious scenario. Didn't do too much research on them when I got mine, but once I read that I decided it would be a fair amount of work to get it on. I went looking for a around the neck vest-type inflatable PFD.

As far as manual vs auto goes. For duck hunting I think I'd rather have manual since sometimes its raining or you take some spray over the bow. The little pellets in the auto inflators can pop with just high humidity let alone rain or moderate spray. My buddy pops his jackets at least once a year by accident when washing down his boat down at the beach. I've talked to other guys on another boating forum that theirs can pop in the storage compartment if they leave a damp towel in there and the sun heats it up increasing the humidity and POP. Then when they go to use the boat they have to go buy the recharge kit first. This is something to consider. They're sensitive little things.
tod0987
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:16 pm

tod0987 wrote:Guys If I understand the belts correctly they need to be put around your neck once they inflate. Not sure how well that can be done if you're knocked out if yall want to continue down the unconscious scenario. Didn't do too much research on them when I got mine, but once I read that I decided it would be a fair amount of work to get it on. I went looking for a around the neck vest-type inflatable PFD.

As far as manual vs auto goes. For duck hunting I think I'd rather have manual since sometimes its raining or you take some spray over the bow. The little pellets in the auto inflators can pop with just high humidity let alone rain or moderate spray. My buddy pops his jackets at least once a year by accident when washing down his boat down at the beach. I've talked to other guys on another boating forum that theirs can pop in the storage compartment if they leave a damp towel in there and the sun heats it up increasing the humidity and POP. Then when they go to use the boat they have to go buy the recharge kit first. This is something to consider. They're sensitive little things.

Exactly :beer:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:37 pm

I guess its all up to how you rationalize it to yourself, its your money.

Im a strong swimmer. If I go into the water conscious I stand a very good chance of survival without a life jacket. I wear my life jacket in case I go in unconscious. Personally, I would rather take care of my life jacket and not leave them in a humid locker (which is bad on normal life jackets) and risk a pill popping on me but knowing I have the added assurance that if I go into the water unconscious I am taken care of.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:56 am

T Man wrote:I guess its all up to how you rationalize it to yourself, its your money.

Im a strong swimmer. If I go into the water conscious I stand a very good chance of survival without a life jacket. I wear my life jacket in case I go in unconscious. Personally, I would rather take care of my life jacket and not leave them in a humid locker (which is bad on normal life jackets) and risk a pill popping on me but knowing I have the added assurance that if I go into the water unconscious I am taken care of.

:thumbsup:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby weekendhunter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks for the advice. I took the manual one back. The auto/manual ones are like $20 more which in the scope of things isn't much to worry about. It's between a very large mesh shoulder life jacket I can wear over my coat and a auto inflate vest. I saw some on Amazon and Cabelas for a reasonable price. In Nebraska and farther north, can get very cold when the migration hits and it would be best to leave my coat on and have the vest over it for travel. The spot will be on shore at the waters edge so I would take it off when hunting. Would the auto inflate vests be that much easier and convenient to offset the possible set off when they might get damp? If it is not fairly easy, I probably wont use it all the time.
weekendhunter
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:41 am

I use the auto/manual type life vest. It takes re all water saturation before they deploy. Rain doesn't usually get to where the trigger mechanism is. Fell in once and it took about 30 seconds before it went off. It inflated so full and up around my neck that even unconscious it would have flipped me face up and floated me. I don't move the boat from shore without it on. Pretty easy to reset and pack. Just pick up a spare con kit for it.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby Swanny » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 am

30 seconds seems like a very long time when your in a bad situation.
Swanny
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Swanny wrote:30 seconds seems like a very long time when your in a bad situation.

They can be inflated manually as soon as you hit the water. I would rather have a 30 sec. delay on my inflator so I know it wouldnt go off as soon as it got splashed.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby tod0987 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:27 am

Ran across this info on another site. OP may find it helpful if you decide to go the inflatable route. Now I understand why the Mustang models are so much more. than other brands. Different mechanisms.

http://bdept.cgaux.org/pdf/InflatableLi ... Basics.pdf
tod0987
hunter

Postby Jbuck » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:31 pm

I, as a commercial captain of a 118' trawler, would only let my crew wear mustang AUTO-inflating life vests. I would buy them a mesh shouldered work vest and allow them to buy their own auto-inflatable if they choose to.

I have ran a boat out of Dutch Harbor and off the west coast. Last time I looked mustang had the only inflatable vest approved by the uscg for work. I have purchased a couple for my ocean boat and highly reccomend them. I bought the models with the neoprene collar and they are very comfortable to wear everyday.

I would also reccomend the auto inflatable models.

There is always something that causes a person to go overboard.
Jbuck
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds