What was your first boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

What was your first boat

Postby The Red Zone » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 pm

what Kind of boat did you start off with when you got your very own duck boat and what kind of good memories do you got a share with us? Saw an article on this on the fishing forum so I thought we should have one in duck boat forum
The Red Zone
hunter

Re: What was your first boat

Postby grizz18 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:38 am

1652 CC Alumacraft with a 60fs on the back. WAY too fast for my first boat, esp for the areas of log infested waters that I was hunting when I first started. Looking back its a miracle that I didn't at the very least rip the lower unit off running up that river in the dark going 45mph +.

Great times though. Loved that little boat, regretted selling it for a long time.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:06 am

It was a 16' 1957 Simmons Sea Skiff, made by the T.N. Simmons Boat Works out of Wilmington, NC. I got it from a fellow for $350, boat, motor and trailer, in 1976 and it was a prize! It was painted bright canary yellow and was made of lap-strake juniper. It had a recessed well where the 1957 Johnson 35hp Sea Horse sat. The snout turned up at the bow and the steering wheel was attached up at the bow! The "cat's meow"! The fellow I bought it from advised me that "before you use it, if it's been sitting up, you need to take it off the trailer and place it on some tires and fill it up with water." It seemed those old lap-strakes needed to 'swell up' so the the thing wouldn't leak like a sieve! That was a yearly ritual prior to duck season.

First thing I did was re-caulk it and paint it Parkers mud brown. It served me for a good ten years and probably had more dead blue bills ride back to the dock than any boat, ever. The old '57 Johnson was so simple, you could repair it with a paper clip and some baling wire, which I did many times. The outfit was nicknamed "Nanuk". For one season, I had to have my hunting buddy ride facing the motor and hold the 'lean' and 'rich' gas mixture dials so they wouldn't move to make the motor run without choking down. I repaired that with paper clips and duct tape. When the duct tape came off, I bought two "O" rings and made it good as new!

I sold it all in 1985 to a fellow who restored it and I got a new Boston Whaler. A lot more safe and a whole lot less trouble.

I still miss "Nanuk"
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 am

Bought an old Sears Gamefisher fiberglass hull. Cut it down to 13" height, removed all the seats, built new seats of marine ply, decked it over with the same material, covered all the wood with woven 'glass cloth. Did this in 1990. I still have the boat (plus three additional boats!) and it's still solid as a rock. Empty, it weighs 96 pounds and is 12 feet long; perfect for one man and one dog. I originally had a 20hp Merc on it, went to a new 25hp Merc in 2002, then to a new 15hp Merc in 2003 (all two-stroke).
The boat was featured in Chuck Lichon's Boats and Blinds department in an issue of WILDFOWL MAGAZINE in about 1991 or 1992.
I've built a lot of blinds using this boat, scouted a lot of backwaters, made a lot of oh-dark-thirty runs in it, and killed a lot of ducks out of it. It has a lot of "me" in it and I can't see myself selling it.
mudpack
hunter

Postby TJP » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:06 pm

I first personal duck boat is a 14' Trakker Jon-boat with a 9.5 Chrystler on the back. I got it this year, added a wood floor and lights. The first morning I took it out and hunted out of the boat; we had scouted and found a little point on the river that had ducks coming and going all day the day before. That evening we took some extra burlap, conduit and 2x4 and made a scissorblind. We didn't put more than 6 bundles of grass on the entire blind... it looked pretty bad, but we figured we were going to be hunting the X so it wouldn't be a big deal. That night all of the lauches we were going to use froze a solid inch+. So we grabbed an old anchor and a maul and took to the ice. We final broke through after an hour of busting ice. Unfortunately, another group got to the X before us so we settled on a tree-covered shoreline known for producing a few passing shots. It seemed the ducks were gone, but the geese were flying low. The hunters on the point would cluck twice and have every goose drop straight into their spread. After the 4th volley and the group reached their limit we gave them a round of applause which echoed down the river. They went on their way and we poached the point, and set our spread. By that point we only had an hour before we both had to start packing up for previous engagements. 45 minutes later a lone mallard drake came swimming into our spread, my buddy yelled "rooster," the duck flushed, I took the shot and the bird dropped. We ended up scratching a hen out of a pair before we left. But I'll always remember that first duck hunting out of my boat, the "rooster" mallard.
TJP
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:35 am

Homemade 40 in 18ft I still don't no why I made such a narrow boat .
cootlover
hunter

Postby nitram » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 am

A '75 Stick-Steer Cajun with a 40-horse Evinrude. I bought it in '79 from Charlie Reed who was an accomplished professional bass fisherman and friends with my dad. It was 16 ft and narrower than a Datsun pickup. I took it everywhere I could and used it for everything from crappie fishing, running yo-yo's and trot lines to scuba diving/spearfishing/salvage to duck hunting all over the Ark-La-Tex, with a couple of forays to Mo and Ks. It was already painted a hideous Brown and Tan and camouflaged really well with an old artillery cover/net. I was really lucky it was built like a battleship with 12" of foam in the hull and a transom that would pull a semi truck. I knocked the lower unit off five or six times and went through props like grain thru a goose. I have a Polaroid somewhere with me and two guys, a dog, 6 dozen Herters (in 4 bags) guns, waders, and everything else you have to have leaving the landing from 41-cutoff (Oklahoma) with me having to stand and the dog was on top of the decoy bags. But she was only drawing about 3 more inches of water than normal and never missed a beat. It was truly a great first boat to learn on and I can honestly say they don't make 'em like that anymore.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:14 pm

My first boat was an 10' pelican kayak. I took that thing everywhere and did a lot of different things in it. Stupidest thing I ever done was pulled in a 10 lb snapping turtle and set it in my lap. But got my first woodduck, Canada goose, and coot in it haha.
muskrat24
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:58 pm

12x36 with a 5hp but didn't last half a season. Upgraded to a 1542 mod v and still use it.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Forgot to add, no good memories of the 12. Scared to death I was going to flip it. Its decoy getter in my big pond now.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:49 pm

First boat was a 14' Herters Hudson Bay. It was a surdy craft. :yes: The only way it was 14' was if you counted the motor too. It was tiny. Was made of fiberglass, had low sides but cut the waves nicely. I kept patching the cracks in that old thing and watching them form again for a few years then decided I'd pushed my luck further than anyone with sense would and gave the boat away. (before I got killed in it)
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:29 pm

at age 18 I hand built a kara for my self. used it a few times, was just too heavy to maneuver around by myself when I hunted alone and most of the boat hunting I do is alone, so that didnt pan out, so I got a Creek boat M98 that is super light and I can carry it on land to put in if I have to. still have my Kara.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:04 pm

Bought my first boat last summer, 1955 sears n roebuck 12 ft flat bottom. replaced the transom, and painted it up. Had it all prepped up n pretty, ready for opening morning. I learned very quick that paint dont stay nice very long, but we did have one of my 2 most memorable hunts of my short life in that boat.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:55 pm

I think was a mid 1960's skiff 16' with an early 90's Mercury 25 HP. Cabelas northern flight blind. That little skinny skiff scooted right along with two hunters and Ruger my dog. Can't I say I have too many good memories I'm that boat, except I took my on our first date, bass fishing. It was pretty embarrassing, on the ride home I looked In the rearview and saw I lost a wheel bearing. That wheel was wobbling like a sailor, so I floated it all the way home, made sure not to take the cornets too fast.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 pm

TJP wrote:But I'll always remember that first duck hunting out of my boat, the "rooster" mallard.

hahaha me and my buddies have a similar joke, one of the guys in our group is real good at spotting the groups of "Canadian Seagulls" :lol3:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby JFord56 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:50 pm

First was an 8' homemade plywood sneak. Got 6 yrs or more of hunting and fishing the swamps with it. First real boat with motor was 72 model 1436 F-Glass Charleston jon with 20 Merc. Great little boat and used it for 15 yrs 'before I sold it.
JFord56
hunter

Postby weekendhunter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:48 pm

It's a 1971, 14 ft Lund fishing boat with a 1985 15 HP Evinrude. Sanded it down and painted it a mud green color. Built a conduit and aluminum printer plate shell and used weeds and broom straw to camo it up. The top attaches with oar locks and 2 bolts in the back and one in the front. It is still the coolest boat ever, however as I got older, it got smaller and more narrow. I'll have to post pictures and plans as this is a v-hull. This was my Dad's first boat so I will never get rid of it. It still works well and I like the looks of it better than my new War Eagle and Avery pop up blind. The new one works much better...
weekendhunter
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 am

wasn't my own first boat but it was the first boat I really used and hunted with. Buddy of mine his dad had a old camo 1950 something seanymph 14ft semi v. Buddy's dad let us borrow for duck season before I had my boat since I fixed up the old 9.9 1960 something johnson outboard he had for it. My buddy and I used the crap out of that thing for that season. Overloaded multiple times with three guys and tons of decoys to the point that maybe 6in of boat was out of water. I don't condone that now it isn't safe but it's what we had to work with and it wasn't fast with that much weight but it got us to where we couldn't get to walking and we killed a lot ducks cause of it. Needless to say after all the abuse we put it through we wern't allowed to use it for duck hunting anymore. After that season I got a beat up old landou 1648 for next to nothing found a cheap old trailer for it and non running 25hp johnson I got for cheap and fixed. Ran it all that summer fishing caught a lot of fish with that leaky piece. So after the summer I fixed the rivets and welded in some length wise reinforcement stringers redid the transom in all aluminum and found a 40hp johnson for a good deal and hung it on there. It scooted with that 40, then ended up finding a deal on the excel I have now and sold that boat to a friend who ended up selling it to someone else on the forum.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:26 pm

image.jpg
14 foot Nova all welded with a 40/30 jet. Man I had a lot of fun in that little boat, really fast and it ran in inches of water! Not much room for decoys though.....
blackrock
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds