Waterproofing Storage Lowe Roughneck?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Waterproofing Storage Lowe Roughneck?

Postby Tanner Yak » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:02 am

I have a Lowe Roughneck 1800 series and enjoy the boat. I hunt fresh and salt water in VA and NC. I assumed the gun box and the storage would have some sort of seals to keep them at least semi water proof but they do not.

Does anyone have an idea of where I can get some seals or how I can go about making some seals?

I am actually overseas now and just dreaming up ways to make the boat better when I get back to the states in Dec.

Thanks
Tanner Yak
hunter

Re: Waterproofing Storage Lowe Roughneck?

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:57 am

Sponge-rubber weatherstripping, available at any hardware store, would be the way I'd go if I felt the need to (semi)waterproof the boxes.

The way I look at it, anything I take duck hunting had better be able to stand getting wet.
The other stuff (matches, snacks) I put in a water-resistant blind bag and/or in watertight plastic bags.
mudpack
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:20 am

You can make your own seals that will help keep the water out by laying a bead of silicone caulk (width up to you) around the whole edge. Then take wax paper and lay it over the top of the bead and close the lid slowly and do not press down. Let it cure then open and peal off the wax paper. I've done this to several areas on the skiff and it works. It also can cut down on rattling of hatches. It's not 100% waterproof but does keep the water out.

Anything I want to keep 100% dry goes in either a drybag or pelican box.
tod0987
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Look into automotive door weatherstripping. The problems with foam are that it deteriorates over time, has little abrasion resistance, and will quickly form memory causing it to seal poorly. Automotive door weatherstripping is rubber and will seal much better. It is also designed to be installed on a thin flange like the edge of an aluminum box. Many different styles avaliable.

Flange style:

Stick on:
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby AJCsurf » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:00 pm

AJCsurf
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:00 pm

I bought two gun boxes from Lowe for My 2070 roughneck.....I don't think I have ever got any water in them....and I have been in some very rough seas...I have had them for three years now.

do yours look like this:Image

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Tanner Yak » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:37 pm

All great ideas. Thanks

The Gun box came in the boat as part of the package and it not only does it leak in the lid but when water is in the floor it is not welded well in the corners and comes in the front and back corner. I sealed the bottom with silicone but the lid was still allowing water in. I keep things I "need" dry in dry bag. Wallet/Phone/Ammo. But it is not good to go to get your gun out and the bag it is in to be soaked in salt water from sitting the bottom.

The Auto stripping looks like it will work well.

Thanks Again
Tanner Yak
hunter

Postby h.kizzle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:22 pm

If it needs to be durable you might be able to use a small rubber hose like a fuel line but smaller and run a slit thru one wall of the hose and slide it over the edge of the boxes so when closed the lid sits on the hose and seals like a gasket. Not sure if that would work for your application but just a thought and would be stronger than a foam gasket.
Last edited by h.kizzle on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
h.kizzle
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:01 pm

toolmaker wrote:I bought two gun boxes from Lowe for My 2070 roughneck.....I don't think I have ever got any water in them....and I have been in some very rough seas...I have had them for three years now.

do yours look like this:Image

the tool

Can we get some more pictures of that blind when raised? I like what you did over the front deck.
t_baker
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:35 pm

this was the original height, but the short guys could sit on a bucket and see over the top....so I had to cut it down...thus the opening down the middle got wider.....

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds