Pro Drive 20' SBX

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Pro Drive 20' SBX

Postby ripem1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:05 pm

About to put in my order for a 20'x60" Pro Drive SBX w/36 Pro Drive. Going side console with some extras. Pro's con's anything I should watch out for? Any, "If I was going to buy another one I would have..............?"
Any advice is greatly appreciated! :help:
ripem1
hunter

Re: Pro Drive 20' SBX

Postby handyandy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:52 am

go tiller
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby pintaildrake09 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:12 pm

check out the stick steer!! Not sure if youve heard about it but it seems like a great idea. basically like an airboat but with a mudmotor.
pintaildrake09
hunter

Postby ripem1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks Guys! My reasoning for console is multi purpose. I will some times encounter big water. (Two hands hangin' on is better than one!) We hunt till boats, dogs and finally us can't handle the ice, therefore kinda nice to duck (No pun intended) behind something. Want a console to mount GPS and other gadgets. Partner would sit beside me so view is not obstructed. I would have them weld pedestal floor mounts side by side at the stern, one in the center middle and one on the raised deck. Seen the stick steer, very cool but I have found any center control limits space within the boat for gear and can be a nuisance if we do a hunt right out of the boat.(Also just a preference and thought)
Really appreciate the feedback! Is my reasoning sound?
ripem1
hunter

Postby ripem1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:55 am

Just an update - didn't go with the console! Chewed too much room in the boat! Went with the 20' 36 hp, four points for spuds, I installed blinds with grass, custom mounted 4 pedestal air ride seats, rock gaurd, landing light spot on the bow,LED in the boat for early mornings! What a boat! Test drove it in Louisiana in the Bayou. Awesome in the mud! Three guys half fuel no gear about 23 mph. During hunting, two guys, gear, dog, 6 doz dekes, blind on boat, 18.6 mph. Wind has a big effect on boat but that would be consistent with all 20' flats I think! We took the boat into 3'+ waves. Was slow but handled it no problem! (We did this under controlled conditions so we knew what it could do if it had too!) With respect to the cold weather I spoke about earlier, yup it's cold at freezing time! We wore face masks to drive as it can be cold and wet! Motor starting in cold weather, choke and start no problem!!!! Boat does slide on the thin ice a bit during turning so had to be a bit careful! Mud, bullrushes, ice..... nothing more than iceberg lettuce salas behind the boat with a mud covered dressing!!! We tried to get it stuck. Didn't happen! Could always put it in reverse and cal it out! Awesome boat!!
ripem1
hunter

Postby ripem1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:45 am

Tried to attached a photo but says file is too big.
ripem1
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:53 am

Get some headwork done and you will notice a lot more load carrying ability. Sounds like an awesome rig though! I would like a 20footer someday, but most likely with an outboard. Congrats on the purchase!
Rhock19
hunter

Postby lax » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Unless you really need the rock guard, I would ditch it. You might pick up a little more speed without it.
lax
hunter

Postby ripem1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:04 am

Lax, you are right! I did ditch the rock guard and did pick up a bit! Not a lot but every bit did count! I know the spots where I will have to use the gaurd and it only takes a few minutes to put it on anyway!
ripem1
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds