deep-v or jon

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

deep-v or jon

Postby NJDUCKER86 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Hey guys, I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on the deep-v lake style boats vs the traditional flat bottom or mod-v jon boat. I currently have a 1860 tracker that is all open, no storage but nice for hunting with tons of room, I love the boat for flat calm days and hunting back water, but when the wind picks up its miserable, wet and lots of back pain. I was looking at maybe switching to a deep-v boat for a drier smoother ride. However i never really see many hunters using them? Is it just because of the weight and greater draft? I was looking at the PolarKraft Outlander 18' CC in particular…. The boat gets used for everything, hunting, fishing, crabbing, summer fun… and as far as location it will vary from back tidal bays to open water as Im in the military and move frequently. Thanks and sorry for the long post.
NJDUCKER86
hunter

Re: deep-v or jon

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:30 pm

I was the same way the next boat I get will be a v hull, they are used more up north, most people in the south use Jon's , draft isn't that big of a deal unless ur pulling it by hand, remember the motor will hit first, don't matter if it's a jon or v hull, I'm just tired of getting my teeth rattled and wet
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby blackrock » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:00 pm

Totally depends if you need to run shallow. I have a Tracker with a jet, because I have to, running big shallow rivers and flats out west. If you are mostly in lakes and bays running a prop, a V hull would be smoother and safer, maybe like a Lund. I'm not too fond of my Tracker when we have to cross the lake! Can't hide a V hull with a boat blind as easy, but we don't do that, just use the boat for a tender and getting to hunting spots.
blackrock
hunter

Postby jeepman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:50 am

blackrock wrote: a V hull would be smoother and safer, maybe like a Lund. I'm not too fond of my Tracker when we have to cross the lake! Can't hide a V hull with a boat blind as easy, but we don't do that, just use the boat for a tender and getting to hunting spots.

Like blackrock said, if you are going to hunt big water the V will be a better ride. we have an old 16 foot v we use sometimes and it doesn't seem to hide as well as my mod-v. Since you mentioned getting wet, we still get wet in our deep-V. Aside from a little smoother ride I wouldn't make that the selling point or use that as an excuse to push the envelope in rough water/chop.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 am

EverthIng is a trade off in this world!!

Use the 80 20 rule .

Get the boat that fits your style or needs 80% of the time , and just deal with the other 20% :beer:

And you can also fill your garage with several boats for different needs and situations :grooving:

Remember that vee boat is going to roll side to side much more then your tracker.

Have fun and be safe!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:16 am

A mod V with deep sides works well for both but you still get pounded on big waves. A console will help as well at least from getting wet and you can brace yourself a bit. People who say deep V' s and flats draw the same water are just wrong.
z51
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:14 am

I am fond of my 1860 mod v with a center console. It will still pound you a little in the big waves but will handle any thing I need it to. It's nice to be able to motor motor through shallow water or pole through when its just a couple inches deep. I am not going in the ocean but have had it in 3 to 4 foot waves with a load and three people. Not ideal but handled it well.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby NJDUCKER86 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:26 pm

how do the rivets hold up on the deep-v boats in the salt? i hardly see these boats in salt water
NJDUCKER86
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:23 pm

The answer is:
Get a boat with a modified vee hull. Used to be called semi-vee.
You get benefits of both a flat jonboat and vee hulls.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Wallew » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:50 am

I have a 16' deep v. It is a 1987 Mirrorcraft north port troller. I have owned it for about six years. It is an open design with a 25 hp evinrude tiller. It is a riveted boat. From what I could find online it was designed for use in the Great Lakes.

I live in NJ. I fish salt marsh and inlets in the spring, summer and a little in the fall. I hunt those same areas plus the Deleware river and freshwater creeks in the fall and winter.

I do have a few issues in shallow areas but I would never think about switching over to a mod v of Jon boat. I can hunt or fish three guys out of the boat safely no matter where I go. Some of the areas I go like inlets for divers would be down right dangerous with a flat bottom boat.

As far as the rivets go, I have had no issues with leaks or them coming loose and the boat gets banged around pretty good.

I guess it all depends what areas you plan to use the boat.
Wallew
hunter

Postby TJP » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:27 am

tri-hull?
TJP
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:45 am

aunt betty wrote:The answer is:

Another way to look at it is you'll also get the disadvantages of both types of hull.
Boats, just as in life, are nothing but compromise.

I like 'wacker's 80/20 rule. :thumbsup: That way you'll at least be completely happy most of the time. Get a compromise and you won't be 100% happy ever.
mudpack
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:28 pm

aunt betty wrote:The answer is:

Mod v boats are not the same thing as a semi v
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds