Older Honda 10hp 4 cycle

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Older Honda 10hp 4 cycle

Postby flyndutchman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:02 pm

I'm in the market for a motor for my 12'6' semi-vee duck boat. Have been using a mid '80's Evinrude 9.9 2 cycle on it. That motor is no longer available. Any experience with the Honda's would be appreciated. This is one of the blue and white Hondas that has a "10" and "CDI" on the top cover.
flyndutchman
hunter

Re: Older Honda 10hp 4 cycle

Postby IH8ATTN » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:43 pm

All I can say is amazing. Found one in my father inlaws tool shed he said it ran a bit rough when they put it away 12 years ago. Got a tune up on it and it runs smooth as silk. Never lets me down, first pull everytime.
IH8ATTN
hunter

Postby On the X » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:31 pm

I had one back in '93. Shear pin type prop so be careful around stumps and rocks. In freezing weather make sure you pull rope a couple times (without starting motor) once you have it out of the water to flush water out of water pump. I didn't do this and the impeller was froze up one morning and I made it about 100yds , over heated and the motor knocked off, which is a nice feature so to prevent motor damage. All and all a cool little motor.
On the X
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:28 pm

Not sure exactly what the weight is on the older Honda 10 HP but I would imagine around 80 lbs. My suggestion if your state/ hunt area allows 2 strokes, go with 15-20 HP 2 stroke. I just picked up an 89 merc 20 hp, weighs 108lbs. that is in showroom condition for $650. Its an absolute rocket on a 12-14 foot boat and sips the fuel.

I have 2003 Honda 9.9 and its a great motor, but I think you could get more bang for your buck with a two stroke.

As previously stated, on the older Honda it has the shear pin style prop and it can be a pain in the butt. Its all or nothing. Not like a hub, where most the time you can nurse your back to where you started. When the shear pin snaps, your all done. Some times they are hard to get out in the field. But overall you can't beat a Honda for reliability. Those old Hondas are still kind of pricy for a 30 yr old motor.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:03 am

I have one that I have on a 14ft Jon layout boat, wouldn't trade for anything.
Went with the older 1970's model due to weight, it is only 74 pounds.
Quite, no smoke, pushes my boat loaded for hunting, at 14mph, 18 if empty.
Attachments
image.jpg
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds