Alumiweld repair job

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Alumiweld repair job

Postby OneTime » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:01 am

Has anyone ever used Alumiweld to repair your boat? Discovered some significant cracks today cause by running an oversized motor on my 14ft alumicraft. One of the walls and the transom are separating and the top rail is cracked in half on both sides near the transom.

Any input appreciated.
OneTime
hunter

Re: Alumiweld repair job

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:49 am

Pay some one to weld your cracks. You will only end up dissapointed if you try to patch the job that should be repaired by a weld. You can save your self a bunch of money by prepping the repair job for your welder. Drill small pilot holes at each finger 1/8th or less. Strip of all paint, oil, and moisture on both sides of hull within 4"s of welded area.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Re: Alumiweld repair job

Postby Sandor27 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:28 am

Don't do it!

I did. I wish I hadn't. I used it to repair some cracks in the corners of my transom where the corner plates are. Worked great for about an hour. The alumiweld is great stuff, but brittle and prone to cracking.

That said, I have used it to great effect in "erasing" holes that were drilled in my boat, and to build a bracket to reinforce my transom. But now my transom has all this alumiweld on it and can't be TIG welded where the cracks are.

holes, brackets: Yes
structural subject to stress: no

my 2ยข
Sandor27
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds