Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

Postby agtex42 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:37 am

Howdy Yall,

I'm pretty sure this is my first post to the forum, long time lurker but didn't get around to registering for an account until last year so try to go easy on me :biggrin: This spring I plan to build a blind for my duck boat (1448 NCS), I looked at all the "off-the-shelf" setups and just couldn't justify the expense, especially considering the "quality" of the boat I've got to hunt with. I've spent a lot of time looking at other folks DIY projects as well as the commercial blinds available and I think I've come up with a good setup that will fit my needs without breaking the bank. I wanted to maintain a low-ish profile while maximizing floorspace in the bottom of the boat, wind-protection was a must, and I wanted something that could go up quickly with just one person. The attached design shows what I plan on going with but I have a question for you guys that have "been there, done that" a little longer than I have:

If I wanted to use a single piece of EMT for the length of the frame would you offset the blind closer to the bow or stern? Another option I'm considering would be to use two 10' pieces for each side and bend the 90 degree angles myself, but I liked the idea of having a continous support for the cordura instead of having a welded joint in the center of the frame. I'm trying to keep the entire frame inside the gunnels and as you can see from the picture I've got three different options to consider. I think using the pre-fab 90 degree pieces will be more structurally sound, but using two 10' pieces will allow for more concealment.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post, I look forward to your critiques.

Blind Plans.jpg
agtex42
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:25 am
Location: Down East NC


Re: Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

Postby goldfish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:54 am

I think where you put that blind (front to back) will matter more by seating and motor location which is boat specific, not so much by preference

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...


Someone has Snooki as a mom
User avatar
goldfish
hunter
 
Posts: 3949
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

Postby tod0987 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:58 am

Hi,

Did my own build 2 years ago and still holding up well. Here is the only pic I have of just the frame from when I was mocking it up.
20121010_162313.jpg

A few things I recomend
-Don't use the premade 90's. borrow or track down a bender and use two pices of 3/4" EMT. Bend the short ends to the height you need then assemble and mark to trim off where the two pices overlap. With the longer pieces you can also make it fit better to your hull if you want it to. For the joint in the middle use a 4-5' length of 1/2" on the inside of the 3/4" to strenthen the joint. Drill smaller holes and shoot selftapping screws into the pipe. Wrap with tape or file the hard edge of the head of the screw if you're worred about snagging.
- Use bimini fittings to attach to the boat. The won't rust like casters will. Pretty much the standard now in dyi blinds. I think mine were 7/8". Overtons.com or other websites will have them.
-Ebay is the place for webbign and buckles if youwant to use them to hold it up.
-Magnafabrics is where I bought my cordura.
tod0987
hunter
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

Postby T Man » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:13 am

tod0987 wrote:Hi,

Did my own build 2 years ago and still holding up well. Here is the only pic I have of just the frame from when I was mocking it up.
20121010_162313.jpg

A few things I recomend
-Don't use the premade 90's. borrow or track down a bender and use two pices of 3/4" EMT. Bend the short ends to the height you need then assemble and mark to trim off where the two pices overlap. With the longer pieces you can also make it fit better to your hull if you want it to. For the joint in the middle use a 4-5' length of 1/2" on the inside of the 3/4" to strenthen the joint. Drill smaller holes and shoot selftapping screws into the pipe. Wrap with tape or file the hard edge of the head of the screw if you're worred about snagging.
- Use bimini fittings to attach to the boat. The won't rust like casters will. Pretty much the standard now in dyi blinds. I think mine were 7/8". Overtons.com or other websites will have them.
-Ebay is the place for webbign and buckles if youwant to use them to hold it up.
-Magnafabrics is where I bought my cordura.


All great advice, the only thing I have to add is to sleeve the joints where the two pieces of EMT meet. This reduces the sag you see in the middle of your blind.

You aren't going to build a blind on a 1448 using only one piece of EMT per side. If you conservatively plan on each side being 2' tall this gives you 4' of pipe, the bends take up 6" each which leaves you with a 5' long blind.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 5469
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

Postby tod0987 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:48 am

T Man wrote:
tod0987 wrote:Hi,

Did my own build 2 years ago and still holding up well. Here is the only pic I have of just the frame from when I was mocking it up.
20121010_162313.jpg

A few things I recomend
-Don't use the premade 90's. borrow or track down a bender and use two pices of 3/4" EMT. Bend the short ends to the height you need then assemble and mark to trim off where the two pices overlap. With the longer pieces you can also make it fit better to your hull if you want it to. For the joint in the middle use a 4-5' length of 1/2" on the inside of the 3/4" to strenthen the joint. Drill smaller holes and shoot selftapping screws into the pipe. Wrap with tape or file the hard edge of the head of the screw if you're worred about snagging.
- Use bimini fittings to attach to the boat. The won't rust like casters will. Pretty much the standard now in dyi blinds. I think mine were 7/8". Overtons.com or other websites will have them.
-Ebay is the place for webbign and buckles if youwant to use them to hold it up.
-Magnafabrics is where I bought my cordura.


All great advice, the only thing I have to add is to sleeve the joints where the two pieces of EMT meet. This reduces the sag you see in the middle of your blind. That is where the 4-5' lenth of 1/2" is used. It is inserted in so that there is 2-2.5 feet of 1/2 on either side of the joint. Then use 3-6 screws per side to hold it in place. . Mine looks a bit sagged on the right as my bend was beyond 90 and I eventually bent it out in the final.

You aren't going to build a blind on a 1448 using only one piece of EMT per side. If you conservatively plan on each side being 2' tall this gives you 4' of pipe, the bends take up 6" each which leaves you with a 5' long blind.
tod0987
hunter
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

Postby agtex42 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:08 pm

Thanks for the input!

The plan is to keep the shooters in between the bench seat and the platform up front so either setup would provide adequate coverage for them. The motor is a tiller steer and neither of the sets would interfere with the handling of the boat.

I've seen the bimini hardware before but was slightly concerned about the plastic construction and possible failure, that being said I have yet to run across any "my bimini hardware failed me" threads so maybe the concerns are unfounded. I do like the expanded options that the bimini stuff gives you when it comes to desgins like being able to follow the contour of the gunwale with the frame. Here's another idea I've been toying around with to have a little more top cover from the elements, I've got a young son and so does my hunting buddy. It'd be nice to have a setup that kept them out of the rain while at the same time giving them a slightly better view of the action.

Blind Plans.jpg
Last edited by agtex42 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agtex42
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:25 am
Location: Down East NC

Re: Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

Postby tod0987 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Sounds good. There are several good build threads here by folks. Search "blind build" or for the member "Canderso"'s build which is pretty good. I had one up here but lost the pictures when the site crashed last year. Yes the bimni hardware is pretty resilant. I havn't see any failures either. It has held up to a of stress. It has some flex it in that takes the shock. It is more than just normal "plastic".

The 7/8" won't quite fit over the 3/4" emt so take a heat gun or hair dryier and warm up the plastic. Do not let it form bubbles or it will get brittle there but just get it a bit to hot to hold comfortably and it will allow you to slide it over the end. Some folks sand out the inside but I tried that on one with the dremmel and it was too frustrating. Heat gun takes only a minute. Make sure you take out the set screw prior to heating then allow it to cool all the way. When it cools the cupling contracts, tightening around the EMT.
tod0987
hunter
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

Postby rodandgun83 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:51 pm

All good advice. The less joints the better off you are. When I built mine I bent the frame to the contour of my boat to maximize space when it was laid down and it also provided strenghth. Also if your boat has a hunt deck on the front if it were me I would set the blind as fas as back as possible to the motor and use the front for working a dog off of if you have one or have intentions of getting one. Just my .02
rodandgun83
hunter
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Rock Hillbilly

Re: Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

Postby T Man » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:23 pm

A boat can run across a lake at 50mph plus and not break Bimini hardware.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 5469
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

Postby goosie119 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 pm

I ran full sticks for the sides on mine and put the joints on each end by the bends. You have an extra joint on each one but there's no center sag to deal with. On my 18 footer I have about a foot to the joint after the bend in the conduit.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...


If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 8:47 pm
Location: the DP, WI

Re: Made Some Blind Plans - Opinions Wanted

Postby t_baker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:50 pm

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=181018&hilit=+grizzly

My 1448 with a home built blind.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 6962
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio


Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests