Duck Hunting Forum banner

War Eagle Boat Problems?

15K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  wareagleleftmehanging 
#1 ·
I have a War Eagle 2072. I've only owned it for 6 months and it's spent three of them in the shop and just had to go back to the factory. Has anyone else had such a hard time with their War Eagle? Also can anyone else recomend a good boat for hunting in big rivers? The War Eagles just candle handle water of any real size. Thanks...

#3 ·
Don't know much about wareagles, but if I were to recommend a boat for big rivers, or big water, I'd say a SeaArk. I know guys who run them on Oneida, Ontario, Erie, Champlain, St. Lawrence River, Niagra River, and off Long Island. If I had't bought a MM I was going to buy a SeaArk.

#4 ·
Well the biggest problem I'm having is the welds are cracking almost everywhere on the boat. I've never seen anything like it. The entire floor started to come up and is cracked in places, the side console cracked and came loose, the deck on the bow started to break free and became damaged, the brackets on the seats bent and eventually broke.

This boat is barely 6 months old.... it's falling apart!

War Eagle has the boat back in their factory and they've been great to work with... but the welds and overall construction of the boat is poor at best.

Love the people hate the product.

#8 ·
You must have gotten a "lemon". I don't know if you can call a bad boat a lemon but it sounds like you got one. I have a War Eagle 1542 and beat it around pretty good. Have never had any problems. I love the boat. Mine does not have a floor in it but I have heard that floors in a flat can be a problem because of the flex in the boat. If I were you I'd ask War Eagle for a new boat. Duck season is only so long and you don't need your boat in the shop for most of it.

#9 ·
I wish they would give me a new boat. My local dealer was going to fix the boat with a local welder but War Eagle insisted that the boat be shipped back to the factory. I showed the boat to a guy who welds frames for cars and motorcycles and he laughed at how poor the welds where in my boat. So I guess I'll spend the duck season hitching rides with guides. :thumbsdown:

#10 ·
I got a Crestliner 16'5" V-hull w/ 25 tiller outboard. This boat has been awesome. All welded construction, and I haven't managed to crack a weld yet. I am pleasently surprised i haven't. My dad and I have had it since 98 and have used the heck out of it every summer and duck season. It's been out in some pretty snotty conditons and we've never had a prob yet. I'd recomend a crestliner to anyone, hands down no questions asked. Hope this helps

#11 ·
I second the SeaArk recommendation as a guy I hunt with (retired attorney) recently bought one after touring both factories (SeaArk & War Eagle) and meeting with management. Believe me, this dude is thorough with his due diligence.

Also, another buddy had one a few years back and it too was a tank.

#13 ·
:rofl: Sounds like one my brother welded :lol: nah j/k....I live in the town of War-eagle, SEARK and F&F boat's. Which now all war-eagle good welders went to M&k contracting (division of SEARK Boats) when did you buy the boat, just curious? I know about everyone who works at all three of the factory's. if you need anything, or need me to get in there Arse just let me know. Most likely they will have to dismantle and reweld the whole thing. If it had to go back to factory, someone did loose their job. I hunt with the owner of war eagle sometimes, I suppose I could mention it for you, maybe you will get it back quick.

#14 ·
Wow... Thanks to everyone who's replied :thumbsup:

The guys at War Eagle have been very nice to me and so have the guys who I purchased it from (Rudy Marine, DE). But the boat does have to be completely dismantled and it's the middle of the season, who knows how long it will take to get the thing back up and running. I really wished they could have just given me a new boat... they've already had to remove the engine and all the extras on it.

I like the people at War Eagle but I'll be buying a new boat this spring. If I had the cash I'd be buying one right now.

#15 ·
I did a lot of research (about a year) and talked to several Guides before I purchased my boat and I am very happy with it, I have the Grizzly 1872 and in 2 years of trailering, rough seas, Ice and rocks it has had no problems at all. I was told that If I will be breaking Ice forget about the war eagle and one guide told me he destroyed 2 of the 20' War eagles before he bought a grizzly. I was also looking at the sea ark but it was out of my price range but a great boat. I contacted War Eagle with several questions about their advertised Hull thickness and other concerns as I heard that the sides were thinner than the bottom and they refused to answer even on the phone(told me to ask my local dealer). The grizzly is thicker on bottom and sides from what I could find. I have seen a LOT of Polar Krafts in the shop being welded on the corners where the transom meets the sides. I Was told that the Polar Krafts do this often when trailered without a transom saver or if used in rough water. I heard and read a lot of praise about AlumiCraft too but I could not find an 18' Flat bottom in my area.

I did have a 12' War Eagle (built like their big boats all welded and very heavy) and it was a great boat but I only used it with a 4hp outboard in the shallow marshes so I never really taxed it at all. I still do not know why I sold it :mad:

#17 ·
I dropped the boat off at the dealer almost two months ago now, the dealer was going to have a local guy re-weld it, but War Eagle told the dealer he had to send it back to the factory. War Eagle sends a truck to pick up these boats so my dealer can't speed the process up. I thought the boat was already being worked on so I called to War Eagle to see what was going on and if I was going to get the boat back some time this year... Guess what!!!! The boat hasn't even been picked up yet. The guys at War Eagle told me they sent a truck up to my area but forgot to pick up my boat, so now I'm waiting on the next truck.

Anyone have the # and a POC at SeaArk?

#20 ·
I'm not sure which state you are in, but I would recommend looking into the state's "lemon law" and see if it applies to watercraft. In some states it does, in others it does not. I think it is unreasonable for them to not replace the boat. I'm not familiar with War Eagles because I don't have a dealer nearby, but what is their warranty? If you have any friends who are attorneys, I'd recommend getting them involved at this point. It sounds like you're getting run around. Good luck.

#21 ·
I bought the boat in Delaware... I drove up from Virginia to get it... so I have no idea about the laws. I've tried to figure out what the warranty situation is but they haven't let me know. I know that the boat is covered and they plan on fixing it. My problem is that I shelled out a ton of coin for a Jon boat that has spent more time on land than in the water.... at least it sure seems that way :sad: Anyway, I'll wait and see what they do about it... I'll make sure to let you guys know how they deal with it.

#22 ·
If your gonna buy a new hull. I would give the boys at F&F a call. You can build the hull to your exact specs and it will be stronger and built how you want it. They are a great bunch of guys. :thumbsup:

#23 ·
I agree with your recommendation of F & F. Just bought a 18 Ft. F& F- after 15 years of using a 16 ft. F & F. Built like a tank AND to my exact specs and I mean exact. Drove 5 hours from west Tn. to pick it up- glad I did- met a group of great guys down there- believe me they stand behind their product.

#26 ·
Guys... I just got a call from John Ward the owner of War Eagle and he couldn't have been a more stand up guy. He is replacing my boat with a brand new one... he assured me I wouldn't have any more problems with their boats and he told me he will always stand by his products :thumbsup: I guess I just got unlucky with the one I bought. Anyway thanks for all of the help and I'll make sure to post how the boat goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.