fishin boat project

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

fishin boat project

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:16 pm

So last fall my uncle told me he had something for me, we stopped over and he had a boat sittin in his yard from some guy who parked it there and eventually gave it to him. After some looking around i found that its a 79 chrysler with a 100 hp motor. Im not sure of its Specific name but its extremely similar to the boat in the link below. So i plan to go get it this saturday afternoon, and theres a couple things that need to be done. Thats where you guys come in, I need to re-wire the controls to the engine, Take the motor off and make it run. and last but not least id like to repaint it. It is fiber glass, and its got a real nasty faded green color.

Any help on this would be great cause i dont know jack about them and itd make a fun toy for this summer

*I would have posted this on my tinboats account but i forgot my login/password and im not going through the hassle*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seFoHa3jDOY
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Re: fishin boat project

Postby t_baker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:33 pm

First thing you do is buy a shovel. Dig a hole as deep as you can possibly dig. Take that Chrysler off, throw it in the hole, and cover it with dirt.

Once that's done your ready to begin your boat project.
t_baker
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Care to elaborate why i should throw away a 100 hp motor? Id rather not buy one if this thing runs
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:52 pm

I don't care if its a 1000 horse motor. Horse power doesn't make it reliable.

Chrysler engines are known to be junk. They have more problems than a 15 year old girl in foster care.
t_baker
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:31 am

t_baker wrote:
They have more problems than a 15 year old girl in foster care.

:lol:
TheMiz
hunter

Postby Boatman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:22 am

I agree with t_baker but if you want to try first thing you do is a compression test on the motor,and a spark check,all cyls. Hook a battery with jumper cables up to starter to crank it and check it. You should get 120+ psi on all cylinders. Just remember there is a reason he left it to your dad instead of selling it. :crying:
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:41 pm

Finally a useful answer. I'll check on that. Any useful info about painting? I keep reading about " gel coat " but I don't understand most of it
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:53 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:Finally a useful answer. I'll check on that. Any useful info about painting? I keep reading about " gel coat " but I don't understand most of it

Scuff it with a scotch brite, wipe it with Kar-prep, hose it with a spray gun.
t_baker
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 pm

There's a reason you hardly ever see a Chrysler outboard on the water..... better buy a kicker motor so you can make it back to the dock. Sorry to burst your bubble, but they are not reliable motors.

Do your homework on refinishing a fiberglass boat. Also check for cracks around the transom and paint/ fiberglass removed down to the wood guts on the underside. Don't put the boat on the water if you have exposed wood that will contact the water. The wood will swell creating all sorts of problems.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:34 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:Finally a useful answer. I'll check on that. Any useful info about painting? I keep reading about " gel coat " but I don't understand most of it

You can paint over the gel coat if you want. Scuff it (like baker said) then use either Rustoleum Topside Paint or some other marine paint. If it is an old 'glass boat be careful. There is a VERY good chance the stringers and transom are rotten. Not trying to rain on your parade, and it might turn out to be a fun little boat, but free boats are usually the most expensive kind.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:46 pm

I was thinking white with red pin striping.
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:01 pm

What kind of budget are you looking to spend? You may be farther ahead to pull off whats salvageable, light the boat on fire and start on a new one. You might have a good trailer by the time your done.

Seriously though, light the boat on fire, they blaze an amazing blaze.
t_baker
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:23 pm

No real budget, just when i get sick and tired of working on it.
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:35 pm

There is a budget. Your a high school kid. You willing to throw 500 bucks at it?
t_baker
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:27 am

over time obviously

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:37 am

How about 1000?

My point is, see how much the boat needs to be reliable from the beginning. Set a budget, if it's out of budget then don't do it. No point in working on it until " your sick and tired of working on it". That just ends in wasted money.

Old fiberglass boats left to rot are generally surrounded by problems. Some problems just not worth fixing.
t_baker
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:02 pm

i guess well see

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
DuckManClyde
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds