layout boat idea

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

layout boat idea

Postby Jangle » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:15 pm

I have foynd a guy thats got some small dingy type boats that are brand new unfinished hulls they are fiberglass 8'x44" and 12" deep. Would one make a pretty stable layout boat. I would mostly use it in back water and occasionally if it is stable enough use it for divers. Here aee some pics. What do ya think?
ImageImageImage
Jangle
hunter

Re: layout boat idea

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:12 pm

How many does he have, price and quantity?

With some work, it will make a very nice layout. There are plenty of post and articles on converting sailboats and dinghies. The best one was where the guy loaded the boat down with double his normal weight limit of gear, decoys and him, marked the water line, added an inch and cut the boat off and glass a curved deck on it with proper bulkheads and cockpit. It was an awesome looking boat when he was done and he said it was extremely stable and safe. He put in enclosed pockets for flotation foam for extra security.

I'd take one if within a reasonable distance of Texas or shipping is available.

I am thinking mini surface drive if I end up with one.

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Jangle » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:54 pm

The guy wants 150 obo for one hes got three. Haha its in west ky so that Idk bout shippin.
Jangle
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Those hulls are designed for rowing, but just about anything that floats could be modified to make a layout blind.
For $150, I say go for it! ...would make a nice project.

Keep us posted with pix if you decide to do it.
mudpack
hunter

Postby R. C. Day » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:00 am

I like it.
If they were closer to (DFW) Texas, I would pick up one each for the Orphan and I.

Always too far away from the good deals.

R.C.
R. C. Day
hunter

Postby Bad Dog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:26 pm

That doesn't look very stable to me.
Bad Dog
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:35 am

They are actually very stable, they're a tender boat for a sail boat. I bought a similar designed version at West Marine when they closed their local store for the nephew. My niece and nephew actually dive off of it and climb back in and do it again.

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:19 am

The biggest issue I see, is that it'll draft pretty deep.

If you need to get into skinny water, you'll be doing a lot of legwork.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:08 am

Its not going to be super stable as its designed to roll a bit as someone said above as a row boat. When the side chines are engaged in the water line it will stable up with secondary stability, but its going to rock some. This will not "feel" stable to someone not used to a boat rolling. To a kayaker or sailboat guy, it will feel stable as they are used to secondary stability.

It still will make a nice flat top layout blind/boat. Its also cheaper than anything else you're going to find.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:04 am

That. ^

Cons:
draft more than a flat-bottom layout
not as stable as a flat-bottom layout, either when floating or when resting on the bottom (shooting difficulties)
you'll need to build in a flat-bottom floor if you plan to lay out in it
a flat-bottom floor will raise your body higher for less concealment and even less stability

Pros:
the price is right
good off-season projects are always cool

Your choice.
That hull makes a great sailboat tender, but maybe not an ideal layout blind. Compromise, compromise....
mudpack
hunter

Postby Krete » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:35 pm

I sure as hell wouldn't be doing any open water diver hunting from one of those. The hull is not designed for it. I'll stick with my UFO!

-Nick
Krete
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:10 am

Again we have to get into the definitions of these boats....if you mean that you want a low profile thing that you can thatch and drag into shallow backwaters for puddlers....sure, I'd cut it down a bit and deck it a bit and grass it, and you'd be good to go.
But in my definition of a layout boat, it'd be a gray, oval, very low profile boat for divers.......and that ain't it......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Krete » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Slack Tide wrote:But in my definition of a layout boat, it'd be a gray, oval, very low profile boat for divers.......and that ain't it......

Exactly. A true layout is meant to take the punishment of open water hunting. As a backwater boat, sure.

-Nick
Krete
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:30 am

Slack Tide wrote:Again we have to get into the definitions of these boats....if you mean that you want a low profile thing that you can thatch and drag into shallow backwaters for puddlers....sure, I'd cut it down a bit and deck it a bit and grass it, and you'd be good to go.
But in my definition of a layout boat, it'd be a gray, oval, very low profile boat for divers.......and that ain't it......

there are two "layout" style boats IMO open water boats and marsh boats. I call my boats layout boats because thats the type of hunting you're doing from the boat. and both have very different hull styles though.

open water being the traditional and I'm pretty sure the original layout boat that fellers take out on a big boat and set up in a diver spread in some deep water. usually extremely stable, made for waves to break on top of the hull in rougher water. usually gray.

marsh boat being usually being longer and skinnier. made to draft in very shallow water, and fairly stable usually are able to be powered and driven to the hunting spot, not towed by a larger boat. usually OD green or painted like marsh grass.

I'll still call mine a layout boat, but its just a marsh style. EVERYBODY who has a marsh boat around here has always called them layout boats. That's what I've always known them as. I guess its a regional thing.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds