Duck Hunting Forum banner

Canoe

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  JFord56 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking to use my canoe this year for transportation to hunting spots and possibly huting out of it. I plan on making an outrigger for it so it is more stable with my dog in it as well, if I decide to stand up and shoot out of it. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on the outrigger?

#3 ·
I have thought about this when I was canoeing. I would use aluminum irrigation sprinkler pipe, hopefully one that was run over by the tractor and still long enough to be useful but almost free, scrap aluminum bringing what it does. I would tig it together with small aluminum tubing.

Mark F. Cheney

#4 ·
I have a set of aluminum sponsons made by Piedmont Pontoons back in the 60's.
I'm sure that the company is long defunct, but they made an awesome set of lightweight sponsons.

I put the frame from an Avery Powerhunter in my 13' Grumman canoe, and made a blind cover out of handrail netting, camo netting, and about 5,000 zip ties. With my Rickshaw mini longtail, it's an awesome layout for small water.

#5 ·
CountryRN said:

Google images - Just a thought.
Why would someone put outriggers on a wavewalk? They are really stable where you can't hardly shift your weight over either pontoon. That design just seems like a waste of time for that hull.

I would not stand up in a canoe unless you have LOTS of experience. I do and I would not stand up and shoot, or stand while a dog is in the canoe! :hammer: Keep your center of gravity low and tell the dog to sit and stay and you will be fine. If you are worried paddle like white water. Drop to your knees, sit on your heels and spread your knees. It makes it impossible for your center of gravity to change unless you hit a rock and it flips the canoe. I've done that too. :tongue:

There is a post on here about kayak outriggers if you really want to make some. They really are extra drag and slow down your paddling. I would suggest taking the dog out this summer for trips and get him trained on how to be transported in a canoe.

The dog needs to sit in the front or both of you in the middle. If you're both in the back you bow will come out of the water and you'll loose all tracking and the wind will blow you in circles. :smile:

#6 ·
I got a set out of Cabelas on a canoe at our place on the Edisto. They work great. Put them all the way down and boat is rock solid. Shoot - fish - stand up and walk around. If you get wet it's 'cause you fell out the boat! If you want to paddle a ways just move pods up 2-3" off the water. I've also seen some nice ones on Paddler.net They are smoother and more pointed on the ends and look like less drag when down. I can tell you what happens when you shoot a 3"Mag to port side in a 8' sneak boat. WET!!! That's why a got them to start with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.