Duck Hunting Forum banner

Conduit blind HELP!!

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  h.kizzle 
#1 ·
Looking to get rid of my hard sided blind and going to a scissor pop up, to cut weight. I have a 14 ft boston whaler, I have the design I am going to use, the only issue I am having is finding conduit long enought to make the frame, some of the better quality frames I have seen on here look like its one piece with bent sides, however all I can find is 10ft emt pieces! How do you guys connect them to make a 20ft piece, couplers and compression clamps won't do, and welding seems like it's a no go, please share your tips with me!!! Thanks guys

#3 ·
I made one for my 14' Lowe. I used the couplers but took out the set screws and drilled 1/4" holes thru the set screw holes and all the way thru the other side once I had the conduit pushed in the coupler. That way the holes all lined up. Then I ran a bolt all the way thru each of em. I bent a right angle on one end of four shorter pieces used for the leg parts and then used the couplers and a full 10 footer to run the span between the legs. I made sure all the bolt heads were towards the inside so I wouldn't get snagged up on them and I used a cut-off wheel on my grinder and lobbed off the bolt sticking out on the lock nut side. Not sure if that makes sense but it has held up real well. I can snap a photo and post it if you want a visual.

#5 ·
h.kizzle said:
I made one for my 14' Lowe. I used the couplers but took out the set screws and drilled 1/4" holes thru the set screw holes and all the way thru the other side once I had the conduit pushed in the coupler. That way the holes all lined up. Then I ran a bolt all the way thru each of em. I bent a right angle on one end of four shorter pieces used for the leg parts and then used the couplers and a full 10 footer to run the span between the legs. I made sure all the bolt heads were towards the inside so I wouldn't get snagged up on them and I used a cut-off wheel on my grinder and lobbed off the bolt sticking out on the lock nut side. Not sure if that makes sense but it has held up real well. I can snap a photo and post it if you want a visual.
Please!! That would be great

#7 ·
My blind is similar to the blind above but my hinges are centered. They just hinge on a bolt too. I have a solid piece from the hinge up about 30" then a 90 degree bend and it goes about 8" towards the back then a coupler connects to a 10' pipe running to the rear of the boat then another coupler connects the 10' piece to a piece which is a similar piece to the front piece. This is the only joint I could get to right now because my blind is hanging from the garage ceiling but this is what all of mine look like. I added a drawing trying to help show how it is set up as well...

Attachments

#8 ·
h.kizzle said:
My blind is similar to the blind above but my hinges are centered. They just hinge on a bolt too. I have a solid piece from the hinge up about 30" then a 90 degree bend and it goes about 8" towards the back then a coupler connects to a 10' pipe running to the rear of the boat then another coupler connects the 10' piece to a piece which is a similar piece to the front piece. This is the only joint I could get to right now because my blind is hanging from the garage ceiling but this is what all of mine look like. I added a drawing trying to help show how it is set up as well...
How do you keep the blind from folding down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Crap, I forgot to draw those in. I have three posts on each side that are hinged at the bottom using a coupler and a wall mount strap I bent to wrap around the base frame. That part is bolted together like all my other couplers. I rounded off the edges of the coupler so it can fully swing down along the side rails. The top has the same set up with the coupler and strap attached to the frame and I just slide the post into the coupler without ever using a bolt. I have an adjustable bungee cord from the bottom rail to the top rail to keep pressure on the posts so they don't pop apart when up. On each side there is one right at the front, one in the middle and one at the rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.