Layout Build Thread

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Layout Build Thread

Postby muskrat24 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:04 pm

I'm going to try and update this as I go but here it goes.

This was one of my plans for this little sunfish I finally got to buy of craigslist.

My plan is to have an 2" high coaming and an 6' long cockpit. I'm a fairly short guy so that's more than enough room for me. Eventually I'm going to add a smaller cockpit up front for the dog to sit but for this season she will be riding in with me. Unfortunately this sunfish didn't come with an spray guard so the spray shield idea I had to begin with will have to be reengineered a little.

Here is when I brought her home

After cutting the cock pit out I found that I'm going to need to do a little extra fiberglassing to strengthen the hull and fix two small holes. Here is with the cockpit removed.

More to come on my next day off and when I received the glassing supplies.
muskrat24
hunter

Re: Layout Build Thread

Postby dwaw » Mon May 12, 2014 3:11 pm

nice pics and drawing. with your head to the bow your pup will be safe and in the perfect spot to see and be protected from the gun noise; and you won't have a wet dog laying nest to you.
dwaw
hunter

Postby grnhd » Fri May 30, 2014 9:44 am

That looks pretty cool. Please keep us updated as you go :thumbsup:
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby Ithaca33 » Sat May 31, 2014 11:51 am

This is great! I just picked one up for free and am planning something similar. Let me know if you come across anything helpful!
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Havn't had much progress since the beginning of last month. But have got a little bit done. Mainly I have almost finished up filling any major gouges in the fiberglass and the dagger board slot. I planned on working on it a little today but its been raining. On my next day off I plan to get the following finished:

Finish filling dagger board slot
    Sand/smooth out all bondo
    Patch 2" hole left over from drain plug
    install transom

With it raining the last few days I had off though the only thing I was able to really do was disassemble my predator motor and paint it for the mud motor kit I have coming. No fancy camo pattern just straight OD Green.

There will be more to follow in the next few days.
muskrat24
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Which kit did you go with?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby grnhd » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Engine looks good painted like that. Keep the pics coming as you go along please! :thumbsup:
grnhd
hunter

Postby Ithaca33 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm still totally undecided ith how I want to power mine but a small long tail was my initial inclination. Hopefully yours gets in the water and you can give me some feedback before I have to decide :-)
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Originally I was going to get an Thai kit but decided I wouldn't. So I had a thread over at MMT and outtve all who participated in my poll about 98% voted for Back water swomp. I was trying to decide between an Back water Swomp and an PPF because an family friend owns an PPF. He lives outt've state so I could actually se it so I was taking everyones word for it but my family friend was persuasive so I went with the PPF Woodduck. It came in yesterday and I like how sturdy it is. I'm gonna be taking it out on my 12' v bottom sometime this week.

Ithica I'll let you know as soon as I get my boat water ready. I planned on having it so I can either row it, use a trolling motor (Going to have a 12 volt battery anyways for running lights), or maybe my 6.5hp long tail.

This Saturday I hope to start fiberglassing the hull.
muskrat24
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:01 am

And here is the PPF mud motor. Saturday morning will be her test run on my 12' v bottom Aqua Swan.

muskrat24
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:51 am

Well the initial test of the PPF has left me pleasantly surprised. Me and my buddy ryan tested it yesterday in some areas that we have gotten ourselves stuck before and that little motor was able to get us back to where we needed to go. We wouldn't win any races but it had enough speed and guts that I'm happy with it. Now all I need to do is figure out how to make a sturdy enough transom on the sunfish to possibly support the motor. In the worst case scenario if the motor is to much for the little sunfish I'll just use it on my 12 foot aluminum boat for trapping season and slap a trolling motor on the sunfish.
muskrat24
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Heres a little update. Its been raining so havn't been able to do much but got the transom ready

Just need to fiberglass the bottom of the boat first then I can mount it on fully. Also got the top deck gunwale supports cut out along with the gun rack.

This side of the gunwale I plan on making a box in between the supports to hold calls, shotshells, and anything else so its outta the way.

Depending on the weather Thursday I may attempt the fiberglassing on the bottom if not I will get the coaming cut and ready to be mounted.
muskrat24
hunter

Postby Ithaca33 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:56 am

Glad someone is making progress! How did you secure the transom on the inside?
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:34 am

I put a metal plate that runs a decent length of the transom inside. The more this build comes along the more I think I'm not gonna be using the PPF. I'll probably just use a trolling motor or paddles. Most of the places I hunt I can back right up to the water and there is no more than an 300 yard trek to my hunting spot and one of the major places I hunt is choke full of stumps. And I just see that ended badly with this fiberglass boat haha.
muskrat24
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Well it has been really slow going on the layout boat. I finally have put the final (3rd) coat of fiberglass resign on the bottom of the boat and gave it enough time to harden up. Started working on the topside of the boat a little and got the frame work for the doors bent and an rough idea where they will be going as soon as the Bimini hardware arrives.

Here are the doors:

As far as the doors go I'm content with them for the most part. The part where my head will be sitting is a little large in my opinion so I'm gonna run an little poultry fencing across to support the camo netting. That should remedy the problem of such an large opening.

My plans for tomorrow are to cut and get the plywood floor into place and debate further on how to paint it. Most the areas I hunt are fairly wooded. But one portion of the lake I plan to hunt opening day will have the boat in 3-4' deep water out in the middle of the lake. I have been thinking long and hard on whether to paint it the Black/Gray open water pattern or just paint it straight OD green or a combonation of OD Green/black/gray stripes. I also have some woodland camo netting shipped and on its way here for when I hunt the marshy areas.
muskrat24
hunter

Postby Ithaca33 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Looking good! You've gotten a lot further than me. I'm in the middle of an unforeseen move so all projects are halted until further notice. What material are you making the doors out of?
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:09 am

The major frame work for the doors is 1/2" conduit. I'm going to affix 2"x4" poultry wire across the open span of it to keep the woodland camo netting from sagging and to also hold netting over the head hole.
muskrat24
hunter

Postby grnhd » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:22 pm

lookin good :thumbsup:
grnhd
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:31 pm

The camo netting came in today so I figured I would get a rough guess as to what she will look like clothed. In the next two pictures only one of the doors is attached so its sagging into the cockpit a little. I still have yet to attach the wire poultry fencing to the doors so it was sitting next to the shed.

Only other major thing I need to get done is get the floor board in place, get some more paint for the bottom, and run to the marina and get her tagged.

I'll try and get some pictures of her maiden voyage.
muskrat24
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds