Hunting kayak

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Hunting kayak

Postby Centralkywaterfowler » Thu May 22, 2014 3:12 pm

I am wanting to buy a kayak to duck hunt out of and was wanting some advice on what would be best. I've been looking at the old town vapor 12xt in camo and like it a lot but I've also been looking just a little at some of the small beavertail boats. I want something light that one person could carry but also kayak out of and enjoy when duck season isn't in. Any help would be awesome!!
Centralkywaterfowler
hunter

Re: Hunting kayak

Postby RickC » Fri May 23, 2014 7:11 am

I don't have experience with either, but in general, the beavertails look like a nice stable boat for duck hunting, but probably not a good choice for general kayak for the off season (wide and slow). The Vapor looks like a pretty nice general kayak, probably not as stable as the beavertail (fast and narrow).

I guess the first thing to do is think of how you plan to use this boat (lakes, rivers) and what balance of speed and stability you are looking for. Storage is also something to consider, as you will be hauling decoys and other duck gear.

I was in the market for a new hunting/fishing kayak earlier this year, knew that I wanted something stable but fairly quick due to the fact I do a lot of upstream paddling. After looking at dozens of different kayaks, I decided on a wilderness commander. There are thousands of posts about every type of kayak, that would be a good place to start to get reviews from the guys that own these types of boats.

Good luck in your search, I'm sure you will get a lot of good information from this forum.

RickC
RickC
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:50 am

Use the search feature here. This is discussed very often. You should find your answer.
tod0987
hunter

Postby micneador » Fri May 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Predator 13, has a 2 position seat that feels like a recliner. The seat can also fold back so you can layout hunt in it, very stable, and is quite fast. Dry storage hatch in the center of the boat that's easily accessible, quite a bit of room to carry dekes, gun, etc.

It will probably be my upgrade before the years end.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Fri May 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Might look at aqua pods.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat May 24, 2014 7:40 am

You are not going to find a light kayak than a Sit In siade Kayak (SinK) like the vapor. My daughter has a vapor 10xt and its very stable with lots of room inside. I too use a Commander like Rick, but I have the 120 and I can pick it up and rest the inside of the cockpit on my shoulder and carry it. These kind of kayaks protect you from the wind better but do not take rough water very well.

Sit on Tops are best in rough water areas but have less storage unless its in bags strapped down. I have a Ride 135 in camo and its to be the kayak for taking the dog out as they water she brings in will drain back out. Many of these are perfect hunting boats like the Ride and the Predator, but they are not light as you asked about.

Also, kayak carts are worth their weight in gold. I put it mid kayak, ratchet it down, load up the kayak and start walking. The kayak does not have to be light, as long as you have a clear path to where you are going.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterdogds » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:15 am

I recently picked up this native ultimate 14.5. Very stable hull and weighs only 60 lbs.. Paddled down the river this summer, with my dog and was very pleased in its performance. A solid investment IMO. I will be able to use it for hunting, fishing and pleasure riding.
Attachments
CAM00116.jpg
IMAG0628-1.jpg
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds