Tiller motors

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Tiller motors

Postby widgeonwhacker » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:47 pm

Does anyone have any imput on tiller motors. I was thinking of getting a 16 or 17 foot jon type boat with a 50hp or 60hp tiller. The only tiller I've ever ran with was an old 15hp on a small 12ft boat. How do they handle, steer, ect. I'm trying to decide to go with either a tiller or a rear center console.
If the dog retrieves the decoy, go buy another dozen.
widgeonwhacker
hunter

Postby vacuum6 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:56 am

you will have to go with personal preference here..there is a trade off between tiller and console boats. it is far nicer to fish or hunt out of a tiller boat due to the extra floor space....but....you can not see through your buddy if you are dodging stumps. also, you will wear a lot of water if you are running on lumpy water in the wind. if you are sitting closer to the front, you can see better and stay warmer and drier. from a handling perspective, the tiller motors have a steering tension adjustment to keep the motor from flying out of your hand....so handling should not be a concern at all. what ever you decide, it is an operational must to have trim and tilt so you can lift the motor to load and run in skinny water without tearing up your prop and lower unit. i prefer a tiller when the boat is not moving for the much needed floor space but i prefer a console when i am under way to stay drier and warmer, as well as see what is in front of me. tough call ...but don't be worried at all about the steering or handling of a tiller...it is not a problem.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:01 am

as noted already, this is a personal choice issue, and for me I always sem to think the grass is greener on the other side. Anyways......my 16 has a side console and I really do like it for the visability issue...I'm not sold on the ride being drier though since spray seems to catch me in the face ALOT with a v-hull......chines would probably cure that though and spray may not be the same in a semi-v jon.......the down side is space, especially for when I am hauling the MLB (which I prefer to carry via a cradle) unless I tow it....and that in itself can cause a big problem in rough water although I have never had it dive on me and fill with water...if I had a tiller motor I would have much more space for decoys and ease in setting lines when the MLB is in the cradle...although i woulf have very little sight of what is ahead of me

I seem to be waivering on the issue at hand.....so I guess the best response is to consider all your hunting situations and focus on what you do most and what conmfiguration will most often work effectively....then deal witht the not so often uses as best you can.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:05 pm

widgeon, I bought a 17' War Eagle almost a month ago with a 50 horse Mercury tiller and I love it. Before that the only experience I had ever had with tiller steer motors were 9.9, 15 and 25 horses.

It's all personal preference on what kind of steering you need, but for me the tiller is the best. It frees up lots of room in the boat and not having a console is one less thing to mess with. I've also never had a problem with getting wet with a tiller. I had it out in 3' waves with 35 mph winds a couple of weeks ago and didn't get a drop of water on me.

If you're looking at a used boat see if you can take it out and run it. That will answer your questions a lot better than anything on a forum. :thumbsup:

This is the main reason I picked a tiller. Nice and wide open! :thumbsup:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:50 am

Like others have said, it really is a matter of personal preference. I prefer a tiller handle motor. More space in the boat for stuff, and when hunting alone, I find it easier to run the boat and put out decoys, etc. with the tiller. With my tiller and the way I have my blind on my boat, I have to use an extension handle and run the boat standing up. I am used to do it so it does not bother me at all.

I also like not having to move around in the boat for times when you need to get going in a hurry. The motor is rigt at your fingertips. Again all a matter of personal preference. I have a 25HP motor on my 16' boat.
Mike M.
hunter

Tiller

Postby Kenny » Thu May 12, 2005 4:09 pm

I just went through the same choice ,,I bought a 18 ft Alaskan and after talking with alot of the big water hunters in this area I went with a 50 hp tiller.
Both have pros and cons , but the extra space iwith a tiller really great. Another point I was told is picking up decoys with a console boat is rough. you are always looking behind you. Where with the tiller everything is in front of you. I think you will find opinons are about 50/50 on this topic
In my life I have spent most of my money on dogs ,decoys and shotguns. The rest of it I wasted
Kenny
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat May 14, 2005 4:48 am

Take a good long look at o’l yeller’s boat, that’s the way to go. Notice how the center of the boat is all opened up. You will never have the hassle of stepping over seats and gear that’s a big plus, while putting out and picking up decoys and if you need to run to the bow. His boat and mine are similar. For me seeing is no problem, I have a 19ft semi-v Polar-Craft with a 50hp Honda with tiller. My son sits next to me on the tiller seat, my decoys and gear are stored along the sides in compartments I made, and my dog sits on the floorboards between my feet. The mistake made around here is, hunters often under-power their boats. I’m glad to see your putting some ponies behind you.
State Moderator

Postby easternshorehunter » Sat May 14, 2005 9:11 am

i have noticed that tillers are a little more respnsive than consoles. for crabing with traps or picking up decoys, i would pick a tiller just about every time because you have to manuver in tight spaces. however consoles are nice if you have to run long distances because you dont have to constantly be holding on to the motor giving it gas.
easternshorehunter
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds