motor/boat sizes??

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

motor/boat sizes??

Postby phillipstd » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:41 pm

I have a 16' john boat, but I'm going to make another one, I put a new transom on it and made it way stronger, I could put a 115 on it, but the price is high, the new four strokes are heavyer but how do they perform under a heavy load, I've had that boat loaded down heavy and the 40hp wasn't close to big enough, basicly the max hp ratings of boats seems too small, but eveybody's putting 4 strokes on them, could you put 1500 lbs in a 16' boat with a 60hp 4 stroke pump and still get it up on a plane??
phillipstd
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:10 am

I can't give a specific reply to your size boat and motor, but I can add that 4 strokes (in my experience) do not get out of the hole well, take awhile to plane, and have less overall power...they are tougher starting in cold weather....on the other hand they are quieter, good on gas consumption for those long runs and are environmentally safer.....IMO, the 2 stroke is the best option for most waterfowlers.....I'll take some heat for this comment, but we need a reliable ignition when it is 10 degrees at 4 am, we need power to get on the move when the winds kick up, we need immediate power when in heavy seas and we hit the throttle, and we do not need extra weight on the transom..........I can deal with mixing gas and oil and a little more noise

specific to your questions.....I would put as much HP on as I could....better overpowed than underpowered.....but I also stay within the suggested specs....they are put on for a reason!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

BOAT/MOTOR SIZE

Postby widgeonwhacker » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:15 pm

Optimax by Mercury is a 2 stroke that is clean, quite and just about 50 state aproved. They seem to be a little boggy on the take off but run really well at mid to upper RPM's. Also the Evinrude E-TEC is a clean, no mix 2 stroke that is supposedly a runnin' little bugger. I can't say from experience, but thier website gives out some comparisons of other motors. According to Evinrude, they just about outperformed any other motor. I can't imagine that they are cheap though.......
If the dog retrieves the decoy, go buy another dozen.
widgeonwhacker
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:32 am

If you look in the boat pics page, the Ranger I posted a picture of has an Opti on it. My dad's had it on there for a year and a half now. Great motor. Quieter than most two strokes, much much more fuel efficient, and it seems to run just as good as his old two stroke.

I know me and my dad have decided with two stroke stuff now to mix manually. This is why he has the new Opti. His old Two stroke Merc blew up because of a clog or crimp in the oil line. Something that you would never think to check, but causes major damage.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Novamag » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:06 am

If you get a Merc don't say you weren't warned. They a less expensive for a very good reason.....BOOM.
Nova
Perseverance- Doubling your effort when you've lost your aim.

Vegatarian-Old indian word for crappy hunter
Novamag
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:00 pm

is it true are they fazing out the 2 stroke? i have heard this. that would suck pond water. if and when it happens.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 870 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:20 pm

Duchunter, I can’t ever think of a time I’ve disagreed with you, but I have to here. The weight difference isn’t that much; I have a 60h Evinrude two stroke and a 50h Honda four stroke. I just don’t see a big difference.

The Honda out of the hole has all kinds of power; it planes off my 19ft polar craft in no time. That’s with 8-9 doz decoys, three people, a dog and all the other stuff we duck hunters take.

As for starting in cold weather, the coldest I hunted in last season was 8 degrees at 4:30. I do have an electric start though and I had no problem starting it.

You were right on the money about gas mileage. I’m still blown away on how far I can go on a tank of gas. I tell the guys from now on I’m a four-stroke man; my wife laughs and says, that would be an improvement.
State Moderator

Postby Mike M. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:45 am

If I were buying a new motor today, I would get a 2 stroke while they are still on the market. 2 strokes are smaller and lighter, and as a duck hunter, every pound counts.
Mike M.
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds