Jon boat resurrection

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Jon boat resurrection

Postby 0321Tony » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:31 pm

A few years ago I started looking for a jon boat to access some of my duck hunting areas but since I had been using my zodiac I didn't need one immediately so I was waiting for a good deal. About 2 years ago I noticed a small 14ft jon that was sitting on a trailer in the brush beside a guys house just down the road from mine. This boat was on my jogging route and I seen it every time I ran by but it just sat there never being used and I watched the brush get higher around it. I finally went and knocked on his door to ask if he was willing to sell it and for how much and wondering if this guy thought his boat was lined with gold. He let me take a closer look at it and told me to make an offer, he said it had been sitting for about 13 years. I looked it over and the hull was sound with very few dings and no major damage at all. I offered him 200$ for it and as fast as he accepted it I was wishing I had offered 100, either way I felt I had made a good deal. I brought a check and a tire pump because the tires were flat and I was hoping they would hold air long enough to get home.
It took me a week but I am happy with the finished product and I got it out yesterday for a spin on a nearby Lake.. Only 88 more days till duck season starts here in the great North.
Before
ImageImage

After
ImageImage

Finished ImageImageImage

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
0321Tony
hunter

Re: Jon boat resurrection

Postby T Man » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Looks good. Trailer looks like it needs some attention though. Boats don't go far on broken down trailers.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby 0321Tony » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:16 pm

T Man wrote:Looks good. Trailer looks like it needs some attention though. Boats don't go far on broken down trailers.

I guess I should have put up a pic of the trailer too. I worked over the trailer pretty good too. Added new guideons, winch, jack, new wood and carpet for the bunks, sanded and painted, rewired, new bow stop, new rollers and supports new spare tire holder. Only thing I didn't do was replace the tires and wheels because they are holding air just fine and no dry rot on them. Wheels are a bit rusty though.

0321Tony
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:30 pm

If the tires have been sitting for 13 years I doubt they are truly sound.
z51
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:45 am

0321Tony wrote:
T Man wrote:Looks good. Trailer looks like it needs some attention though. Boats don't go far on broken down trailers.

I guess I should have put up a pic of the trailer too. I worked over the trailer pretty good too. Added new guideons, winch, jack, new wood and carpet for the bunks, sanded and painted, rewired, new bow stop, new rollers and supports new spare tire holder. Only thing I didn't do was replace the tires and wheels because they are holding air just fine and no dry rot on them. Wheels are a bit rusty though.

You didn't say this and maybe you did, but never trust the wheel bearings, they are cheap to replace on a trailer this size. And well worth the once of prevention :beer:

That little girl of yours looks like she is having a blast!! Good for you, get them outdoors and involved early and often!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:49 pm

the kids and dogs are loving it. great pic. the boat looks great have fun.
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby PintailKiller » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:43 pm

0321Tony wrote:A few years ago I started looking for a jon boat to access some of my duck hunting areas but since I had been using my zodiac I didn't need one immediately so I was waiting for a good deal. About 2 years ago I noticed a small 14ft jon that was sitting on a trailer in the brush beside a guys house just down the road from mine. This boat was on my jogging route and I seen it every time I ran by but it just sat there never being used and I watched the brush get higher around it. I finally went and knocked on his door to ask if he was willing to sell it and for how much and wondering if this guy thought his boat was lined with gold. He let me take a closer look at it and told me to make an offer, he said it had been sitting for about 13 years. I looked it over and the hull was sound with very few dings and no major damage at all. I offered him 200$ for it and as fast as he accepted it I was wishing I had offered 100, either way I felt I had made a good deal. I brought a check and a tire pump because the tires were flat and I was hoping they would hold air long enough to get home.
It took me a week but I am happy with the finished product and I got it out yesterday for a spin on a nearby Lake.. Only 88 more days till duck season starts here in the great North.
Before
ImageImage

After
ImageImage

Finished ImageImageImage

You did a very nice job! I have the same boat except mine is a 16'. I will post pics of my resurrection once I figure out how to get them off my phone. :fingerhead: Only thing I dont like about mine is the old (1973) motor that doesnt have enough power...But for the price (free!) it fit my budget well.
Here comes two singles...
PintailKiller
hunter

Postby Levantou » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:47 pm

Hey Tony,

The boat looks great! I am getting ready to start a resurrection project myself this weekend. What type of paint did you use? I'm hoping I can get mine to look half as good as yours. Thanks for the pics.
Levantou
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:26 pm

Levantou wrote:Hey Tony,

The boat looks great! I am getting ready to start a resurrection project myself this weekend. What type of paint did you use? I'm hoping I can get mine to look half as good as yours. Thanks for the pics.

Thanks, I looked on the Internet and found some places that recommended using exterior paint like you would use on your house. The stuff I used said it was for aluminum and aluminum siding. The camo colors were the krylon camo spray paint. This is my first attempt at it so I'm not sure how well it'll hold up but we'll see what it looks like at the end of the season. Good luck on yours and take pics, you'll be happy you did.

0321Tony
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds