Lowe 1436 remodel

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Lowe 1436 remodel

Postby tknight006 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:31 pm

I decided it was time to do an overhaul to my Jon boat. I didn't mind the set up, but I really wanted to remove the middle bench. I had intended to build a larger deck, but changed my mind last minute after seeing all of the potential with so much room.

The beginning

after cutting bench, I was left with the bottom portion of the gravity fed livewell. I was going to simply put flooring over it, but decided to remove it as well Image

After cutting small hatch in rear to use for drink/food storage, it was time to paint. I used Parkers Marsh Grass. Intended to have larger hatch in deck.

Decided against deck, so I cut out the front to use as storage. Removing this foam was the absolute worst part.

Finished product
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Re: Lowe 1436 remodel

Postby T Man » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Looks good.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby WSUWESTON » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Do you have any palms to reinforce the area that the seat was removed from?
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:03 am

Nicely done :beer:

That's the way you create some storage as well as keep the rear bench seat for hull integrity !

Did the same in front of my 17ft, cut opening for access door, then dug out all the foam. Now stores my second battery, on board charger, life vest, spare prop and tool box. Plus moves some weight forward .

That should serve you well now :thumbsup:
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:20 pm

WSUWESTON wrote:Do you have any palms to reinforce the area that the seat was removed from?

I don't. I have some 2x4s under the wood floor in the area where the seat was, to prevent the floor from bending. I don't think I've compromised the rigidity though of the boat. I'd be concerned if it were a bigger boat maybe.

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby h.kizzle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:46 pm

Looks good man. I want to get the live well plug welded up on mine too. I'm still stalled on finishing my 1448 Lowe. Hoping I can get after it again soon. Aluminum ain't cheap though and the wife thinks new siding and windows on the house are more important than boat mods.
h.kizzle
hunter

Postby cjg » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:36 am

I did something similar to my 14' john a few years ago I took out the middle and rear seats and decked the floor. I found it flexed to much without the middle seat in. I put it back in last weekend. The seats are part of the structure that holds everything together.
cjg
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:24 am

tknight006 wrote:
WSUWESTON wrote:Do you have any palms to reinforce the area that the seat was removed from?

I don't. I have some 2x4s under the wood floor in the area where the seat was, to prevent the floor from bending. I don't think I've compromised the rigidity though of the boat. I'd be concerned if it were a bigger boat maybe.

Trey

I hope you used untreated 2x4
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby mudpack » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:33 am

I have the very same boat. When I realized I needed more room, I elected to remove everything except the seat you took out. I left it in for a passenger when I take one. I made a large "rib" from 2x2 thin-wall steel tubing to replace the rear seat, but I'm not completely convinced it needed it. Amazing how much more room my boat now has.

Nice work.
mudpack
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:59 am

cjg wrote:I did something similar to my 14' john a few years ago I took out the middle and rear seats and decked the floor. I found it flexed to much without the middle seat in. I put it back in last weekend. The seats are part of the structure that holds everything together.

I can't imagine its going to flex too bad, but I could be incredibly wrong. I would understand if I had removed the rear seat as well.

I used untreated lumber for the supports.

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:50 pm

I have the exact same boat. Might not be same year and same model but the rear bench is further back.
Mine's been finished since 1978.
Sweet little boat for one guy or two if they're small.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby duckr68 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:59 pm

ive removed the benches in every jon boat ive owned for the past 30 years and have never had a issue. from 20 footers to 10.
I have a 1652 lowe right now and it handles like a dream.
duckr68
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:18 am

aunt betty wrote:Sweet little boat for one guy or two if they're small.

It hunts and fishes two very easily. Granted, we rarely hunt out of the boat. I've tried three people before on a hunt and it worked, but was a pain. I want a bigger boat but 14 is perfect for Florida in my opinion... I have no intentions of going past the jetties though

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby cjg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:06 am

tknight006 wrote:
cjg wrote:I did something similar to my 14' john a few years ago I took out the middle and rear seats and decked the floor. I found it flexed to much without the middle seat in. I put it back in last weekend. The seats are part of the structure that holds everything together.

I can't imagine its going to flex too bad, but I could be incredibly wrong. I would understand if I had removed the rear seat as well.

I used untreated lumber for the supports.

Trey

My front seat isn't as big so I don't have the support you do with yours, but with the middle seat removed I could see it flexxing while driving at hi speeds and when I pulled up to shore. It's an older boat that was pretty beat when I got it.
cjg
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:40 am

If you are worried about flex after you have removed a seat in that Jon boat, do the following. Most people will add a floor to stiffen up the boat, but the generally the floor will not cimpletely cure the flex issue because the the floor flexs as well. You need to connect the supports on the sides of your boat. A large piece of aluminum or wood will work. The key is to have all the supports secured to the sheet. Hope this helps.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:47 am

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:If you are worried about flex after you have removed a seat in that Jon boat, do the following. Most people will add a floor to stiffen up the boat, but the generally the floor will not cimpletely cure the flex issue because the the floor flexs as well. You need to connect the supports on the sides of your boat. A large piece of aluminum or wood will work. The key is to have all the supports secured to the sheet. Hope this helps.

Not a bad idea..

I took it out this weekend and didn't notice anything. I still plan on doing a little reinforcement though.
tknight006
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:40 pm

You might have a good boat that doesn't flex much at all. I would put your average duck hunting load in the boat and then test, you might have a different result. My 20 gallon fuel cell is in the bow. The boat flexs much more when the tank is full than it does empty. Try putting some weight up front and see if it flexs more than you like.
As stated earlier, if you connect the side supports on a rigid piece of plate aluminum, it will stiffen your boat.

Good luck, too much flex or vibration equals cracks!!!
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds