Tracker Grizzly Jon Help!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Tracker Grizzly Jon Help!

Postby TxAg2014 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:56 am

Howdy guys,

So I'm a college student looking to buy my first boat. Looking for a good all around boat that I can hunt, fish, bowfish, etc. I have found a 2004 Tracker Grizzly 15ft that is 5ft wide. It has a 2004 20hp 2 stroke mercury tiller handle on it. The guy selling is the original owner of both and he says it has low hours. I've talked him down to $2300 on it. Is that a good price for this boat? Also I've read online that Tracker jons have issues with the welds? Any opinions y'all have would be greatly appreciated! Oh and one more question. I'm concerned that 20hp on that boat might not push it to well after its loaded with gear, dog, and a couple of hunters. Do y'all think 20hp is enough to do the job?

I attached some pics for reference!

Thanks in advance!

Boat 1.jpg

Boat 2.jpg

Boat 3.jpg
Gig 'Em
TxAg2014
hunter

Re: Tracker Grizzly Jon Help!

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:50 pm

looks like a nice rog for the price. they are common to find cracked welds on these boats, however if you dont overload it i doubt ud have a problem. What is the max hp rating for the boat?
Rhock19
hunter

Postby TxAg2014 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:10 pm

That's what I was thinking. But the whole cracked hull thing makes me nervous. I've read on here that some grizzlys are good as gold and others have the broken weld problems. I would think that since this is an 04 model that maybe some problems would have already showed up by now but who knows. I mean I'm not planning on beating the piss outta the boat but the occasional hitting a stump is a possibility in the lakes around here. And I'm not sure on the max hp rating, the guy said he can get it up to 30 mph on his gps. But that's not with all of the gear and weight
Last edited by TxAg2014 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gig 'Em
TxAg2014
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:13 pm

You can search this site, lots of Tracker threads. I've got an 1860 SC with a 90/65 Merc 2 strke jet, had it for a year. We've had no problems and we load it heavy, run it hard in shallow rocky rivers. Even grounded it multiple times. If need be, I will just get it welded. For the price and light weight I couldn't go wrong. The boat you're looking at looks to be in good shape and I don't think you will find a better built, better set up boat with a nice motor for less. It's got an open floor plan too, no middle seat, more room for gear. Does the trolling motor come with it? Ask him to throw in the cooler and dekes! Good luck.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby TxAg2014 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Trolling motor does come with it but for some reason I couldn't talk him outta his Yeti..
Gig 'Em
TxAg2014
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:21 pm

Don't buy it , trackers are junk and welds are terrible . You'd be better off with a Lowe or Lund . I however would like to know where this boat is as I am interested in the motor and trailer .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:40 pm

image.jpg
Better buy it before threedogs sniffs it out! Here's what we do with ours.....
blackrock
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:45 pm

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg
Better buy it before threedogs sniffs it out! Here's what we do with ours.....

Too late, I'm gonna get it .. :hi: https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4500527142.html
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby calebmac » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:54 pm

I've got a buddy that has a 1754 grizzly with a 25 mercury 4 stroke that I've hunted with for about 10 years now. He's never had any problems with the durability of the boat.
As far as speed goes. We've weighted it down with 4 guys and all the gear and it will still push about 15 mph. You won't win a race with the 20hp, but I think it's a steal for $2300. Around here you could turn around and sell the trailer for $800, motor for $1000, and the boat is worth more than $500. Just my 0.02
calebmac
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:58 am

i will say this atleast that tracker boat has the ribs on the side which is alot better then there current production boats especially on how good there welders can weld. i just looked at the tracker grizzly this last week while we was going on road trip. the one 1860 that i looked at, there was welds that was already cracked on the bracing of the interier of the boat. through the weld area. the sales man kept on saying this was new boat when i asked all the ?'s. the new ones do not have cross ribs they have them length ways and then few going width ways inbetween the long strings to make flat floor. the side weld to side of the boat is were the cracks was at and they no longer have side ribs on open floor boats which would be terrible after few years if put weight into the boat. so i would say that the boiat that you are looking at that would be plus cross ribs as i said before.

i would buy the boat and use it if it give ya fits on welds ...a local welder that can weld aluminum can take care of the problem. if they can not some one will buy that boat for pond ect and then you can go get a differrent make boat like lowe ect and the trailer will still be there for ya.

here is what it should be selling for by the way you can make that motor a 25 by carb change....the book value did not have a 20 2 stroke so put 25 for value..

i came up with $2325 for low selling value.... but way that the trailer is no fenders the low value would be slightly lower ...if could get him to go lower...buy it up...

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Bayport » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:55 pm

I have a 2002 tracker 16.
I have beat the crap out of that boat and have never had a weld issue.

Buy it. The 20 won't push 3 guys and gear very fast but hey, better than paddling
Plastic fenders cost about 50 bucks..nbd there
Bayport
hunter

Postby TxAg2014 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Went with a Sea Ark :thumbsup:
Gig 'Em
TxAg2014
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds