evinrude trouble help!!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

evinrude trouble help!!

Postby Jangle » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:06 am

hey guys I just buy a late 80's 30 horsepower Evinrude it seems to be a good motor. I checked compression in cylinder and both read right at 120 and the lower unit is good and clean no water the previous owner said he and carb rebuild seals put in lower unit and just general maintenance gone through about 2 or 3 years ago and the motor has been sitting since then until now I took it and ran it in a barrel and ran good and I took it to the water on my 16 foot aluminum jon boat and I am very disappointed in the performance I had. I had a 20 horse that push me 18 and 19 with two people and the 30 was pushin me and another guy with 2 batteries 16 miles an hour I had assumed it would push you at least 20 if not a little better with just me in it and ran 18 these numbers seem low is there anything that I need to do that can be done to get some more performance out does anything need to be cleaned I'm hoping it's just because Iits been sitting for awhile and it needs is a tune up thanks for any help
Jangle
hunter

Re: evinrude trouble help!!

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:10 am

Is it a lot heavier than your other engine? Maybe it's a long shaft and your other one is a short?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:26 am

It's for sure a late 80's? It has through hub exhaust? Make sure the RPM's are where they should be. Running it in a barrel of water won't necessarily indicate that it's running up to proper RPM's. The water in the barrel will become turbulent and not offer enough resistance on the prop and it will give you a false impression that the motor is turning the proper speed. Did the motor seem to labor when you were underway? It may need to be run. Those older Evinrudes are outstanding motors but they need to be run. Sitting is the worst thing for them. Also, you may need to trim it properly. The motor may be mounted too low. Or too high for that matter. Does it seem to be turning plenty of RPM's yet not going anywhere? Maybe it's cavitating? Make sure the cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the boat and dead center with the keel. There are quite a few factors at play and a variation in any of them can make it not perform as it should.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:21 am

captainduckhead wrote: Also, you may need to trim it properly. The motor may be mounted too low. Or too high for that matter. Does it seem to be turning plenty of RPM's yet not going anywhere? Maybe it's cavitating? Make sure the cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the boat and dead center with the keel. There are quite a few factors at play and a variation in any of them can make it not perform as it should.

I thought to say that after I posted mine, but went to lunch.
Absolutely...you can really handicap an engine with incorrect trim/tilt etc....

Just for the hell of it...Clean out the plugs, spray in some carb cleaner, good gas, hard fuel ball, check trim and tilt....and run run run...
then get back to us :thumbsup:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Good information posted above.

Basics?
Do you have the correct diameter fuel line for the 30 HP?
Clogged/obstructed fuel line?
How is the whole shot? Maybe a re-prop is necessary?
Is the cavitation plate approximately one inch below bottom of boat?

Weight disbursement in boat? Too much at transom?
Most important and stated earlier, trim height?

Confirm both cylinders are firing? Maybe bad coil or wire. I had a merc 25 HP that lost a power pack, but the boat still ran about 15-17, with a full load and it idled just fine. Only noticeable difference was slower acceleration and top end. Sounded different too.

That should keep you busy for a while.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Jangle » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks alot for the replies. Tomorrow im gunna run some carb cleaner throigh it and I will mess around with the tilt next time I have it out. The fuel line I have I used on a 15hp it has the same hook up so I am useing it. Maybe thats part of my problem?
Jangle
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:22 pm

Mix a can of Sea Foam with the tank of gas and go burn a tank of gas through it. :thumbsup: You also might want to check the pitch of the prop.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:43 am

Jangle wrote: The fuel line I have I used on a 15hp it has the same hook up so I am useing it. Maybe thats part of my problem?

Doubtful that fuel line size is a cause.

But you don't give us enough info to formulate possible causes of your problem accurately. Only way to narrow it down is to be there when the motor is running. Could be one, or a combination, of several things. First thing to answer is: what is the rpm at full throttle /top speed??
mudpack
hunter

Postby okie_duck » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:51 am

You probably need to clean the carbs ( disassemble clean with carb cleaner and reassemble). I had an 88 johnson 40 hp and if gas set in the carbs it would settle in the high speed jet and clog them up. Motor would start easy and run smooth, but only go 12-14 mph. Once cleaned it would run 30mph. Your fuel line is probably ok.

Just my 2 cents.
okie_duck
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:27 pm

As has been said, what is the rpms at wot? Don't guess, go buy a tiny tach and figure out for sure. A few things come to mind. Spun/slipping hub, improperly propped, or a longshaft on a short transom.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Boatman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:34 pm

I would say with those numbers you are running on 1 cylinder. Better check the spark. Cuz half of 30 is 15 and that would be slower than your 20.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Jangle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:42 pm

well I did some checking today and I believe I have narrowed it the problem down the motor is only running on 1 cylinder I took the spark plug wire off while it was running nothing happened once I took the other one off it died so I'm pretty sure its not firing on top cylinder it did however good compression so I'm not sure what it is and it also has a spark what are some thoughts of what I should check next
Jangle
hunter

Postby Natedog57 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:23 pm

Just a little clarification is needed... did the top cyl have spark? At the plug or just plug wire?

If no spark at all you'll need to check the coil and work backwards through the electrical system to ID the problem.

If the plug is clean and sparking its gotta be fuel related. I remember that engine just having 1 carb and I'm not sure why fuel would go to one cyl and not the other, but I would assume that's what's happening.
Natedog57
hunter

Postby Jangle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:11 pm

Ok well it is getting a spark to the plug. But I may try a new plug just to to make sure.
Jangle
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:08 pm

It has spark, and compression in that cylinder? I find it very odd that it won't run. I'm a small engine guy, not outboard but that sounds screwy.

Like it's been said, if it has both then it's not getting fuel. Which also doesn't make sense to me if the other cylinder is getting good fuel. Is there a blockage on that side of the intake? Mouse nest?
t_baker
hunter

Postby Broken Paddle » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:00 pm

I would put in a new set of plugs, NGK or Bosch. It could be 1 plug is not firing under compression, sounds strange I know, but I have had it happen with Champion plugs.
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess. " Red Green.

I tried it, it, it did not work!
Broken Paddle
hunter

Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Postby T Man » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:53 pm

Broken Paddle wrote:I would put in a new set of plugs, NGK or Bosch. It could be 1 plug is not firing under compression, sounds strange I know, but I have had it happen with Champion plugs.

Ngk for sure. All I run in small engines.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby goldfish » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:10 pm

Don't rule out the coil pack if you have spark at idle. My 9.9 had bad coils that only quite working once they got warm. Once they cooled down, they'd work again

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:31 pm

goldfish wrote:Don't rule out the coil pack if you have spark at idle. My 9.9 had bad coils that only quite working once they got warm. Once they cooled down, they'd work again

Sent from a phancy fone

Yep that's a common one.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:18 am

Is it running STRONG as it is now but just less mph than you thought? Or does it feel/sound tired or skipping?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:36 am

Sidenote to jangle,
If and when you get it running, make sure you run ethynol-free fuel in that engine and tank or you will start having additional serious problems.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:00 am

tenfingergrip wrote:Sidenote to jangle,
If and when you get it running, make sure you run ethynol-free fuel in that engine and tank or you will start having additional serious problems.

Startron! :thumbsup:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Jangle » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Hey guys thanks for all the help! The other day I ran it for about an hour with seafoam. Its runnin smooth. I havent had it on the lake yet since the first time but I may take it out tomorrow. But I checked the compression again and both ara at 120 and when I check the spark both plugs are getting a spark but when I pull the top plug wire off it dosnt change but when I do the bottom cylinder it dies. Could it be that it is a weak coil or plug? I dont have an actual spark tester iv been touching the plug to a bolt and turning it over. Thanks!
Jangle
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:47 pm

I would think more likely a fuel pump. If the fuel pump diaphragm has a small leak in it, it can flood out the cylinder that runs the pulse for the fuel pump. You may want to get a rebuild kit, or a new fuel pump and try it. The pump gets its puls in the back of the pump via a hole in the crankcase. It can still pump fuel fine with a small hole in the pulse diaphragm. Look and see if the fuel pump is mounted on the block high in the top cylinder, may be your problem.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:34 pm

On other thing that can cause a motor to be starved of fuel and it won't take more than ten minutes to repair. Remove the connection on top of your fuel tank. Make sure your fuel pickup tube in the tank is free of obstructions and or is not cracked. Might want to replace for a couple bucks once your inside the tank. Check pickup screen and make sure it is not clogged.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds