14' mod-v hull

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

14' mod-v hull

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:57 am

Gents,
Might be getting a used 14' mod v hull aluminum boat for free (no motor). Assuming it's water tight still, I am thinking of using it to get up and down the river and into the marsh to hunt on easy days. It might be a 16', waiting on more details but aside from ripping out the old plywood, etc what would y'all suggest doing to make this a decent rig to get me and a dog around?

If y'all have any pics of a similar boat y'all have made or used please post em up.

It's not the posted boat below, but same style. When I get pics, exact size, model etc I'll post em. Let me know y'all's thoughts on if and how to make it a decent waterfowl rig to get to spots.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403024238.495510.jpg
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Re: 14' mod-v hull

Postby Paddles Down » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:30 pm

It'll make a fine rig with a little love. I have a 16' chrestliner thats a similar style. I use it for everything from hunting me with a few buddies to fishing and tubing with the kids. FREE IS A GREAT PRICE! Good luck with the build. Sorry I don't have any pics of my boat. You can find just about any motor for it and still be ahead. I have a 25 mariner 2 stroke and pull about 18-22 MPH with 2 adults and 3 kids in the boat. :beer:
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:44 pm

That's good to hear, and yeah at that price I just couldn't pass it down haha. I'll keep everyone posted when I get around to getting it.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Can you take it free and then use on a trade? :lol3:

Here's my fears (possibly unfounded) about doing anything to my 14 foot Lund v-bottom - based on our waters.

Hard to use for bass fishing as it is. Mostly shoreline casting and no weed beds. Trolling motor on back too much work to keep boat parallel. Boat is too light to resist light breezes despite being a Lund. No deck for foot controlled trolling motor on a deck.

Tougher for dog in and out, and 14 seems to short to really 'get by with' and doing something good.

No deck or storage, Deep V doesn't accommodate much ingenuity for hunting. Horse power limits of 25HP. Not bad, not fast, definitely too small if I upgrade. A smaller motor doesn't handle wind well, not strong enough to get you out of trouble.

Somewhat un-natural seating arrangement even for 2 shooters.

In the end - not great for hunting, not great for fishing but a lot of work and some money to be "OK" with limitations.

just my thoughts given what i have and our waters. I'd rather put the love into something I know works great and I can do once.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:08 am

I'm going to use it for atleast a season but I dont need to hunt from it, just transport me, a buddy, and a dog across the salt marsh to blinds or to the spots we hunt from in the reeds. Not planning on sitting in it to hunt or making a blind for it, just gonna make it camouflaged enough to leave a distance away from the spread, and solely for transporting us there. I don't think it's too much to ask a 14' boat to do given enough horse power on the back(~15-25 hP?). I may be wrong though.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:34 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:I'm going to use it for atleast a season but I dont need to hunt from it, just transport me, a buddy, and a dog across the salt marsh to blinds or to the spots we hunt from in the reeds. Not planning on sitting in it to hunt or making a blind for it, just gonna make it camouflaged enough to leave a distance away from the spread, and solely for transporting us there. I don't think it's too much to ask a 14' boat to do given enough horse power on the back(~15-25 hP?). I may be wrong though.

Yea, 25 would be best especially if your river has any winter current. Our gets terribly dangerous after rain/ice melt along with all the crap that stars floating. Hopefully yours is more pristine. :hammer:

I would move the middle seat up to the front bench.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds