Kayak gear

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Kayak gear

Postby No_mallard_man » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Hello all I'm new to this type of information exchange and wish to try my luck

We'll my question is about kayak gear I recently scored a 12 ft sit inside flat bottom kayak no clue what brand I bought it used and have forgotten the brand

I got the kayak, paddle, and life vest for an amazing $50 and before you ask yes I tried it before I bought it
And no holes and no water shooting through the bottom

Now onto the question I plan to use my kayak as kind of a lone hunter set up to get away and also as a "bird dog" kind of deal also just to hunt with and step my game up

Some of the bigger points would be shotgun/paddle storage depending on which I'm using at the time

Along with decoys, taken birds, camo, and all other essentials (shells, ciggerettes, lighter, etc.)

Let me know what y'all do or we'll really anything

Any help would be greatly appreciated
No_mallard_man
hunter

Re: Kayak gear

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Put some stabilizers on it. I've flipped kayaks shooting out of them. ATV gun racks work well for holding paddle or shotgun. Just tow the decoys behind you, and make a mount on the stabilizers for your blind bag
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:40 am

It sounds like you plan to hunt out of the Kayak. God be with you.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby No_mallard_man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:12 am

Yes I plan to actually hunt out of the kayak

Please expand on stabilizer bars ?

Like I understand basically what your saying I need but what kind of design do you suggest?

And also I gotta haul this thing in the bed of my truck so I can't make it to wide or bulky
No_mallard_man
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:19 am

No_mallard_man wrote:Yes I plan to actually hunt out of the kayak

Please expand on stabilizer bars ?

Like I understand basically what your saying I need but what kind of design do you suggest?

And also I gotta haul this thing in the bed of my truck so I can't make it to wide or bulky

There are many types of Kayaks. You might do well to identify which one you bought.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby No_mallard_man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:21 am

How do I go about doing that
As far as I've seen there are no identifying marks
No_mallard_man
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:27 am

post a pic
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:43 am

garlicsalt wrote:post a pic

That's a good start! :lol3: Don't you also need to register it if floating on public water?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby No_mallard_man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:10 am

I'll post one when I'm home from work

And do I really have to register it I was under the impression that was only for motorized vessels
No_mallard_man
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:19 am

No_mallard_man wrote:I'll post one when I'm home from work

And do I really have to register it I was under the impression that was only for motorized vessels

Depends what state you are in.

I just made some of these stabilizers for my canoe. They work really well, and can be taken off easily. You'll have a rod holder if you don't already. I have about $80-$100 in making these ones.

It really depends on where / what type of creek or river you hunt on, but where I hunt with my kayak it's not necessary to have them. This is slow moving, backwoods creeks / rivers. Floating down and jumpshooting stuff when other areas freeze up.
Attachments
Nu-Canoe-front-with-Orange-stabilizers-500x500.jpg
Nu-Canoe-front-with-Orange-stabilizers-500x500.jpg (58.26 KiB) Viewed 596 times
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:30 am

OmegaRed wrote:
No_mallard_man wrote:I'll post one when I'm home from work

Depends what state you are in.

I just made some of these stabilizers for my canoe. They work really well, and can be taken off easily. You'll have a rod holder if you don't already. I have about $80-$100 in making these ones.

It really depends on where / what type of creek or river you hunt on, but where I hunt with my kayak it's not necessary to have them. This is slow moving, backwoods creeks / rivers. Floating down and jumpshooting stuff when other areas freeze up.

Canoe stabilizers look good. :thumbsup: I've seen a few kayaks decent for fishing or hunting in certain waters and others that were just kayaks, for kayaking.

Registration can be tricky, although state watercraft rules define it, there are some areas hard to identify. I've had to watercraft register my belly boat to float on some state or county water.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:16 am

A Nucanoe with stabilizers? Anyone should be able to hunt out a a Frontier without Stabilizers that is a really stable kayak.

I have hunted out of a Sit in Side before and had the gun and blind bag between my legs will paddling and across my lap while hunting. Decoys can go into bags and across the top, but they all raise your center of gravity. The higher your Center of Gravity is the easier it is to flip.

Paddle in it now and get used to it. Where your shoulders go, so does the balance of the kayak. Once you learn that its really easy to stay up in calm waters.

If you're packing in, make yourself a cart and stash all the gear in the kayak and walk in.
http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.com/2011/04/diy-bulletproof-kayak-cart-build.html
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:30 am

State (Ohio) defined Alternative Watercraft.

Requires registration on State Park reservoirs and county/metro small water. Don't know past that, I'm legal so didn't check. Didn't know till I was talking with a Watercraft Officer. Not easy to find on a DNR website unless you're specifically looking for it.

Times change!

Boat Registration

Hull Identification Number
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Leaky-NY » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:53 am

Best thing you can have is an "idiot" cord. A piece of rope long enough tied to the boat and gun so if you should flip it you wont loose your gun. Make sure its long enough for you to swing and shoot with. Ask my buddy about his gun on the bottom of a river, and you'll know why you need it.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby No_mallard_man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Ok I got pictures of my kayak but can't figure out how to post them
Help?
No_mallard_man
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:47 pm

No_mallard_man wrote:Ok I got pictures of my kayak but can't figure out how to post them
Help?

There are several ways to see how to post a picture on the site but perhaps this Forum will best explain it.

viewforum.php?f=9
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:19 pm

Well - I had a brainstorm and typed: phase 3 lite outfitting kayak and came up with 1/2 a page of info and links.

Like I said - God be with you. Dozens of pages on the internet about kayak hunting, death, ideas, etc.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby WSUWESTON » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:46 pm

You will be fine. If I use one I typically hunt from shore, but if the shore is private I just pull up into the shallows and shoot from it. I would never anchor up and hunt in deep water from one.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:51 am

That hatch with the W on it is a Logo for "Wilderness Systems". The Phase seat is their name for the seating. They have the Phase 3 seats in their kayaks now. It looks to me to be an older version of the Aspire with the hatch in the back. The Pungo also has the hatch in the back, but is shaped differently. . Here is the new ones and they have the newer locking hatch. The markings are normally stickers that are stuck to the mold and when they roto mold the kayak they fuse to the hull and provide the marking of what model and that got painted over. Look at the stern and there should be some molded serial numbers in the hull. You might be able to call Wilderness and give them the serial number and identify the model. The last two numbers are usually the year it was made.
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks/aspire

So, you at least did not buy a keep knock off and got one from a major manufacturer. The hull should be designed for pretty good stability and fairly good speed under paddle with good tracking.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Okranger86 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:14 am

WOW, what a find for $50 bucks!
Okranger86
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds