Semi-V or V-bottom

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Semi-V or V-bottom

Postby hurls26 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm new to the forum and I know this topic has probably been covered time and time again, but I'm looking for some advice/insight. My brother-in-law and I have just started hunting together and I've always hunted out of a semi-v such as an express or lowe roughneck. He grew up hunting with his dad and uncles in a lund Alaskan.

Now we're searching for a boat but neither wants to give up what they're used to. We hunt primarily rivers and backwater. I've never hunted out of something like a lund Alaskan, but I know it must have its advantages and disadvantages.

Any and all insight would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. As well if anyone knows of a good rig for sale I'm completely open to considerations.

Thanks in advance
hurls26
Newb

Re: Semi-V or V-bottom

Postby j.digiacomo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:14 am

if you hunt primarily rivers and backwater, why would you need a deep v? if anything i'd think that would be more of a pain to get into the skinny water. i'd go flat jon or semi-v if the rivers are big enough...
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:41 am

The only place a Lund Alaskan would be advantageous is in large open water that gets rough (and also in hauling very heavy loads). For backwaters, you'll appreciate a shallow draft as well as low profile of a flat bottom (or semi-V)
MNGunner
hunter

Postby hurls26 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:58 am

We hunt the Ohio River along with several other smaller rivers. The Ohio isn't huge but it's big enough and gets a little dicey at times. We also usually have a 30-40 minute boat ride. That's why I throw out a flat jon. I agree that I don't need a deep-v I was just seeing if there's an advantage that I'm overlooking.

Thanks again
hurls26
Newb

Postby handyandy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:13 am

I hunt the ohio river in the southern indiana area near louisville I run my mod v 15ft excel in it. Most days its just fine for it. Some days when it has been really windy and the open areas get pretty choppy a deep would be better but that is maybe 10-15%of the time. It sounds like to me a mod v would suite you the best. When you buy a boat you wanna buy it for the water and what you do 80-90% of the time. The rest of the time you just gotta deal with making it work.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:05 am

The higher the waves, the deeper the Vee you need to handle them.
Flat hulls are for flat water.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Rougher water needs more V
More V needs More water

that's it
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds