Propeller question for 27 hp kawasaki mud-buddy long-tail

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Propeller question for 27 hp kawasaki mud-buddy long-tail

Postby FF/TACMEDIC » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:08 am

I bought a 2008 18' War Eagle 754LDV, with a 2008 mud-buddy 27 hp Kawasaki long-tail two years ago. The first season I had the boat it ran great, however I needed a new prop. We were unable to get the prop off to get it cupped.

Long story short, after the season was over, I took it to the local Mud Buddy repair shop, where they ended up replacing the shaft, new 9X7 prop and throttle cable. They had to replace the shaft cause the old prop was not coming off and the threads where gone and when they heated the prop up it melted the rear seal.

This past season, we had some minor problems with the RPM's and I placed a tiny-tac and got the RPM's adjusted properly and the motor runs and sounds great. However my speed of the boat is less than what it was before I had the work done to it. Throttle adjustments were made to make sure that was not an issue as well.

Before the work to the boat was done- With myself and two other guys, weight of 215-240 per person and all the stuff to duck hunt, we were doing around 22mph.

Now after the work with the same stuff as above and even a lighter blind frame, we will get 13-15mph max when on the water.

So my question is should I go with a different prop to get the speed I was getting before? Looking on Mud Buddy for my motor, they recommend a 9X7 prop. Or is there something else I may have overlooked?

Any words of help or wisdom will help greatly! Just want the boat up to par before the season gets kicked off!

Thank You for the help!
FF/TACMEDIC
Newb

Re: Propeller question for 27 hp kawasaki mud-buddy long-tai

Postby Rhock19 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:11 am

what is the difference in rpms you are turning with the new prop?
Rhock19
hunter

Postby FF/TACMEDIC » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:16 am

Full throttle under a load the RPMs are 2,800-3,100. With no load the RPMs are 3,900.

I did not have a tiny tac with the old prop so I do not know what they were prior to the work.
FF/TACMEDIC
Newb

Postby Rhock19 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:41 am

if you consistently run that load ranging between the rpms you gave, then you need to run a smaller prop. The engine does not have power at that rpm and will kill your torque, top speed, and cause excessive wear on the engine. I would highly recommend thinking about repropping to a 9x6. Keep your other prop for fishing, and the summer months with a light load then drop down for when you haul a big load. Ideally you should be running near the governed rpms of the engine, which i believe is 4000. since loads on the engine differ it is hard to always be right there, but turning around 3,000rpm is no good. if you do decide to get a smaller prop take a look at hopkins, they offer 8.75x sizes to keep rpms up.
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Lots of people running 27 hp engines run the 9x6 prop because it performs better than the recommended 9x7 prop
Delta1389
hunter

Postby FF/TACMEDIC » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:14 am

Thank you everyone for your help!

Do you think the 8.75X6 prop would be a better choice than the 9X6 prop?
FF/TACMEDIC
Newb

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:43 am

I would go that route if it was me. it should give you an extra 100rpms top end. I wouldnt say its mandatory but will help, otherwise any 9x6 will be a huge gain
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:01 pm

I would stick with the 9x6. Putting an 8.75 prop on would be like putting a pre worn prop on and you'll have to replace it that much sooner. I got my last prop down to almost 7.5 before I replaced it though. I run a lot of sand though and can go through a prop per split.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:26 pm

that is not necessarily true because the diameters are all relative to the cupping and pitch. if you took a 9in dia prop and ground it to 8.75 then it would get worn out faster because you would be taking out cupping and some pitch
Rhock19
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds