Does denier nylon hold water?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Does denier nylon hold water?

Postby ADF » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:04 am

I'm going to re-do the backing on my blind and was wondering if 1000 or 500 denier nylon absorb water. I have pool screen as my backing now and it works pretty well. It doesn't hold water and lets air in (I live in Florida, we don't know what wind blocker means) but it also lets in sunlight which will light you up to incoming ducks. After 5 seasons its starting to tare and fall apart. So does denier nylon repel water completely? My fear is that when I rinse my boat off water will just sit in the material. This is what I'm looking at. http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/woodland-digital-camo-cordura-p9685.aspx

The attached pics are to give you an idea of what I have now.
Thanks for your help guy!
Attachments
Jenny inside.jpg
Inside
Jenny outside.jpg
Outside
ADF
hunter

Re: Does denier nylon hold water?

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:07 am

Yes, water will collect in Cordura materials many time in 500 and 1000 as they are backed and made for being waterproof. It will block wind, rain and sunlight and many of them are not very sun safe if you leave it out in direct sun for months to a year.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ADF » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks for your help! I was kind of afraid it would hold water especially since I hunt in saltwater a lot. I could get nasty pretty quick. I just saw this stuff on another forum and they seemed to have good results with it as long as you hit it with some flat spray paint first. They also cut it to fit and it has grommets installed already.

http://www.fencescreen.com/Products/100-Series-FenceBlock.aspx
ADF
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:52 am

The price looks nice and it should be sun safe. I would research what happens when you cut that. You might need to sew all seems you cut on that. Some of that stuff will fray up horribly when cut and the weave will just unravel, but I can't verify any of that. Also is it loose enough for wire ties? How about just minnow net and raffia or reeds zip tied to it?
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ADF » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:28 pm

They custom cut and sew the edges with brass grommets every couple feet. My main reason for the backing is to keep the military camo net from catching on everything and to block out the sun from lighting up the inside. If they custom cut it to 5'x20' it will fit my camo net perfectly. There's no telling how well it will hold up but it's meant to be in the elements 24-7 so it should be pretty tuff.
ADF
hunter

Postby fireman1293 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:24 pm

If I were you I would go to a boat cover manufacturer and buy some of there waterproof material. Choose something that is non glaring. Granted it won't let wind thru but it is waterproof and UV stable. From my discovery with Cordura fabric, most of it isn't very UV stable and changes color quickly in the sun. I think its funny that people want camouflage fabric so they can cover it up with grass and vegetation. I've had several Avery camouflage fabrics that are waterproof Cordura and they turn pink in the sun in a matter of a week. Good luck
fireman1293
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:37 am

I use a brown tarp. it works really well. blocks everything. I have a 16' boat and found a 8 x 18 tarp at tractor supply. bought two of them. works great. google camo tarps and you can find just about any size you need .
kcwellington
hunter

Postby ADF » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 am

kcwellington wrote:I use a brown tarp. it works really well. blocks everything. I have a 16' boat and found a 8 x 18 tarp at tractor supply. bought two of them. works great. google camo tarps and you can find just about any size you need .

Doesn't it have a lot of shine to it? I see people on here say to use a tarp but I would think when the sun hits it the tarp would be really reflective. It certainly would be cheaper and easy.
ADF
hunter

Postby fireman1293 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:35 am

ADF wrote:
kcwellington wrote:I use a brown tarp. it works really well. blocks everything. I have a 16' boat and found a 8 x 18 tarp at tractor supply. bought two of them. works great. google camo tarps and you can find just about any size you need .

Doesn't it have a lot of shine to it? I see people on here say to use a tarp but I would think when the sun hits it the tarp would be really reflective. It certainly would be cheaper and easy.

He's probably talking about a canvas tarp in brown. You can find them at Farm supply stores and Army supply stores. They do shrink so take that into consideration on how you fasten them.
fireman1293
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds