Trailer fix

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Trailer fix

Postby Take em boys » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:43 am

Got a new boat this winter trailer is in alright shape pretty rusty and bad winch on it when u guys get used trailers what all do you replace? Tires and bearings for sure... Also need to re wire lights any recommendations on lights??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: Trailer fix

Postby mudpack » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:51 pm

You replace everything that is bad.
.....usually that means lights and wheel bearings....sometimes the tires. Bunks are another area that goes bad over time. Check it over carefully and proceed accordingly.

I'd put the cheapest new lights on it I could find. I've found that duckboat trailer lights get beat up like nothing else and they never last very long anyway, so getting premium, LED, waterproof lights just means they cost a lot more than they need to....they'll be replaced about every other year no matter what.
That's my advice, from the land of launching into heavy brush, thick ice, and other boats..... :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:06 pm

On your new lights, remove bulb and cover all metal parts with di electric grease.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:28 pm

Build full length side bunks for your trailer for easy loading in crappy conditions, mount your lights on your side bunks away from the boat and they won't get destroyed each season in the ice, etc. Make sure you have good tie downs on the stern and a safety chain on the front....and use them. Make sure your winch strap and hook are in good shape.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Good tips I like it thanks guys!

"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:17 am

Make sure the coupler for the ball latches properly I have seen two incidences where just tugging on them they looked like they work. But towing with a load and torque they have popped off thankfully both drivers had good safety chains.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:51 am

Cujo1 wrote: mount your lights on your side bunks away from the boat and they won't get destroyed each season in the ice, etc.

The lights on my main boat trailer are up on guidons, 4 feet above the ground and protected from the boat by 1x2 steel posts. I still have to replace them about every 3 years. They get damaged...by something; rocks flung up by the truck (even though I have Lexan shields on them), ice, garage doors, fenceposts, boat, unknowns, etc.... no matter where they're located. :sad:
You are right, though, the higher you mount them, the less susceptible they are. :thumbsup:

The tip about the grease is a good one; it will prolong the life of the sockets and bulbs by about a year.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:15 am

So I have a 4 flat right now I'm wanting to put in some big spotlights for back up lights could I wire that into a 4 flat or would I need another wire? Also would you wire it in a back up light or have a switch?

-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:19 am

I personally wouldn't mess with the trailer wiring and factory fuse box. You may overload that circuit . Run a seprtate fuse attached to battery and seperate connection for spot lights. Just my 2 cents.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:21 am

There is no trailer wiring right now it's a bare trailer

-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:22 am

Take em boys wrote:So I have a 4 flat right now I'm wanting to put in some big spotlights for back up lights could I wire that into a 4 flat or would I need another wire? Also would you wire it in a back up light or have a switch?

A lot easier to just buy 2 12 volt tractor lights and wire them to your boat battery.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:25 am

Okay cool!! Thanks guys

-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby greenmachine69 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:34 am

Someone on another forum had this little jewel and I bought one and put it under my hitch it's amazing and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GJKXW8 ... 606-100-20
greenmachine69
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:20 am

if you want back up lights on the truck, and you have a factory 7 way, tap into that wire... super easy.

if you want them on your trailer, same thing, just get the wiring kit for the trailer as a 7 way and it without a couple of the pins hooked up. (12v battery power and brake controller)

qu363_800.jpg
qu363_800.jpg (40.63 KiB) Viewed 437 times
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:39 am

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:I personally wouldn't mess with the trailer wiring and factory fuse box. You may overload that circuit . Run a seprtate fuse attached to battery and seperate connection for spot lights. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. Mount one or two cheap fog lights on the rear of the tow vehicle and do not go through the trailer wiring. You'll have far fewer problems that way.
mudpack
hunter

Postby greatwhite » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:55 pm

If your trailer has them, make sure the leaf springs are in good shape. I had some that were rusted go out on me, and it destroyed the trailer.
greatwhite
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds