Bog Hog

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Bog Hog

Postby bojac » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:55 pm

I searched around looking for reviews on Bog Hog longtails. Not many. And when asking opinions,I sorta got the feeling I was geting biased answers from the Go devil and Backwater owners. (wish I cold afford either!) Though they did give me some good technical advice.
It seems Bog Hogs aren't as heavy duty as the Go devils and Backwaters. But for $1145.02 shipped, I ordered the Bog Hog U weldit kit.
Now I can make it as heavy duty as I want it. I've only got a B&G 16hp to put on it for now, so I ordered it with the shaft being course thread 3/4x10, and an 8x4 stainless prop. (some of my given good advice! thanks)
Hurry up UPS!
bojac
hunter

Re: Bog Hog

Postby Delta1389 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Man for about 1500 you could have ordered the swomp light glider kit from backwater and had a better quality frame. I own a go devil but will switching over to backwater when I can.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby bojac » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:21 pm

I was going to get a Glider. I talked to Jake at Backwater and the glider mount would have to be modified for the 16hp, and he said they would do it. I mentioned that the shaft housing had no supporting spine. He agreed the 16 might be a bit much. Then Jake told me they are experimenting with a heavy duty version of the glider that has shaft housing support and that it was working great. Supposed to be on the market later this summer. Couldn't wait that long. I'lll weld up the BH kit for now. I am just curious about Bog Hog. And I can do whatever I want to upgrade it. Maybe sell the complete longtail and put the money towards a Swomp 23? I'm really not sure how big a motor a guy should go with on a 14 footer.
bojac
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:49 pm

What's the bottom width of your boat? I've got a 25 GD not the back of a 14' crawfish skiff it's 48" wide at its widest point and tapers to 46" in the back. I'd go at least 23 if not 27. The 27 and the 25 weigh exactly the same amount. Ive pretty much made up my mind I'm gonna put the 35 on my boat and if it doesn't work oh well I'm planning on having another built anyway. The 25 is only like 40 lbs heavier than the 25/27 and my little boat has zero problems floating that motor.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby bojac » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:42 pm

I have a 16ft Tuffweld xtra wide xtra deep with a 40h merc classic and a steering wheel. The blind always goes on it.
And it's one of those that don't fold down. So right now I'm shopping around the local area for a wide14ft to put a folder on. No way am I gonna mess with taking off that merc and steering, then putting it back on every spring. Besides, it's a fun beach barge. I live next to the Mississippi and as you may know, theres lots of stump fields in the backwater. getting a longtail/boat setup and save the merc lower unit. Sounds like that Go devil is a nice setup. What size prop?
bojac
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:37 pm

I've owned a bog hog before my beavertail. Biggest p.o.s. ever. The beavertails bearing system is 100 time better. Spend extra money and get a better brand its worth it in the end.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby bojac » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:31 am

Interesting. What else, besides the bearing setup didn't you like?
Since this is a U weldit kit It can be modified for the better. Starting with a roller bearing setup.
I,ve already decided to put a pipe brace angled down to almost halfway on each side of the shaft housing to keep vibration down hopefully.
I'm just trying to get a mudmotor I can like without having to spend $4,000.00.
bojac
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:18 am

It would vibrate so bad the u joint came disconnected from the drive shaft ruined the u joint. I ended up drilling a hole in the drive shaft for the u joint set screw to go in and used thread lock. If I had to do it over again I'd take a torch cut off the bottom inch of pipe weld threads on it and install a beavertail lower bearing housing for 200 bucks. I think with that modification it would been a solid motor. What engine are u using? I had a powermax 16hp Honda knock off I got new off eBay for 300 bucks.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:47 am

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby bojac » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:18 pm

I was looking at the beavertail site and seen the upper and lower bearing assemblies. Good idea!
Did your BH vibrate from day one? Or from rapid wear of the bronze bushings? My motor is a16hp Briggs.
How was it putting it together? A post on another site said it was a bear to do.
bojac
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Vibrated way worse than my beavertail from day one but as the crappy sinter bearings wore it got so u can't even hang on to it
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Assembly wasn't too bad except putting the bearings in.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby Mndukhntr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:42 pm

I looked at bog hog motors a few years back. If I remember correctly, they had a square shaft at the prop end, requiring you to use their prop. Probably changed by now... Save yourself the grief and get a backwater.
Mndukhntr
hunter

Postby h.kizzle » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:19 pm

bojac wrote:I was going to get a Glider. I talked to Jake at Backwater and the glider mount would have to be modified for the 16hp, and he said they would do it. I mentioned that the shaft housing had no supporting spine. He agreed the 16 might be a bit much. Then Jake told me they are experimenting with a heavy duty version of the glider that has shaft housing support and that it was working great. Supposed to be on the market later this summer. Couldn't wait that long. I'lll weld up the BH kit for now. I am just curious about Bog Hog. And I can do whatever I want to upgrade it. Maybe sell the complete longtail and put the money towards a Swomp 23? I'm really not sure how big a motor a guy should go with on a 14 footer.

I have a Swomp 23 on a Lowe 1448 mod-v and it's a great set up. If and when you decide to upgrade, it would be foolish to not go with a Backwater.
h.kizzle
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:25 pm

My first mud motor was a bog hog with 20hp kohler...was part of a boat, motor, trailer deal. I stripped it down completely to clean it up and replace all bearings and seals. I have a few pictures somewhere. The bearing and seal design is inferior. It is the most simple of all the mud motors.

I had problems with the top bushing overheating so i had a machinist set me up with a upper bearing setup when I had him cut me a shaft. That helped a lot and was pretty slick, but overall the design was still inferior. The material used for the frame is way thinner than all of the other mm manufacturers. If you get into the sticky icky or start bumping and grinding in stumps you will see alot of flexing going on. Mine started to get cracks in the welds from flexing. If you are just running light duty shallow water it's not as much of an issue. I also had issues getting water in the shaft from the lower seals.

I tried ordering a few small parts and a prop from their online store. A month after ordering I failed to receive the parts or an email confirming they were processed, however they took my money immediately. I tried calling and couldn't get a hold of anyone. I sent an email telling them to cancel my order and refund my money or I would start making phone calls to my credit card company, pay pal, better business bureau, ect. They didn't respond but did refund my money. Terrible service from my limited time dealing with the company.

I ended up ordering a prop from backwater. Forget who I spoke with but he was very nice. Great company with great service. I picked up a used 23hp b/s powered mud buddy lt after having some more issues with the bog hog. I couldn't pass up a motor in good shape for $500. If I didn't buy that I would have waited and saved up for a backwater. Backwater will have my service next time I am looking for a longtail.

Since you said you already ordered the u-weld it kit, I would modify it to have an upper bearing instead of impregnated bronze bushing and also a better lower bushing seal design (something similar to what the major mm manufacturers use). That is if you want to keep it if you are only going to be running light duty.

Hope that helps some.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby bojac » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:29 pm

I just got the Kit. An 8x4 prop for the 16. Still waiting for the 3/4"x 1" yoke assembly. Yeah, The frame is kinda light. There was a note recommending welding gussets on it. How long do those sintered bushings last usually? The bushing area on the shaft tube does have grease zerks. Did yours have zerks? Just wondering if that was an update. Back h2o sells bearing assemblies for the doit yourselfer. I'll prolly spend the extra.
To you Bog Hog guys..thanks for your input. I am listening... err, reading.
Has anyone tried a nylon thrust washer in front of the prop nut? Maybe that wouldn't work on this setup. I don't know. One thing I did notice was that there was nothing to stop prop thrust on the motor that I could see.
bojac
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:07 pm

I have 30 hours on my bronze bushings on my lt. They are oil impregnated and have held up. Its a 20hp. You should be able to do the same if u keep grease in it. Make sure yoy get a tiny tach and check the rpms when u get it assembled. People run a variety of sizes on 16s, usually 8x4 9x3 or 9x4. Good luck with the build! Make sure u add gussets, they will help a ton when u screw down in mud, there is a ton of torque on these motors. And the extra weight will be minimal
Rhock19
hunter

Postby bojac » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:17 am

I have been welding some of the Bog Hog pieces up. Great fit. Some of the pieces are scribed so you don't have to measure. makes it quicker. All was a nice fit. Too bad the motor frame wasn't 3/16" metal. I haven't put the shaft housing on yet. I'm still weighing bearing options, and haven't recieved the yoke assembly yet. I emailed and was informed that they were in the process of moving to a new warehouse and it was now on the way.
bojac
hunter

Postby bojac » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Well, my older style v twin Briggs doesn't come close to fitting any predrilled hole. It sits way too high. Shoulda figgered.
And without a major cut and weld job,the driveshaft isn't coming close to a 15 degree or less angle if the tube is welded to where it's supposed to go on the frame. Ain't doing it. Oh well. I'm going to put a 16hp Duromax on it. Just can't afford a Vangaurd. Then dump it and put the money towards a Swomp 23 like some told me to do... But with all the tips and suggestions I've been given, plus having put the kit together, someday I will build a frame from the ground up. Thanks everybody!!.

PS. I was going to get the swomp
weld on bearing housing kits too,
as suggested.
bojac
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 pm

Heard good things about the duromax, sucks about your briggs tho. Keep us posted!
Rhock19
hunter

Postby h.kizzle » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Bummer about your situation. When I first thought about buying a longtail, I thought about going with a used go-devil and also considered a DIY kit. After I read a lot of threads on MMT(with similarities to your situation now) and picked some of those fellas brains, I decided to wait and save and get a Swomp 23. I'm so glad I did the research and took the advice of the guys that chimed in. Once you get yourself a Swomp 23 you won't think about another longtail. Unless you decide you want to upgrade to a bigger Swomp. They live up to the hype.
h.kizzle
hunter

Postby bojac » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:21 pm

I ordered the 16hp Duromax today. New motor might as well have new driveshaft bearings. I ordered the backwater weld on
upper & lower bearing kit. That should make any buyer happy. Around 1750.00 invested now. Tube bracing is still going on.
I'll post a pic or two when I'm done. Prolly take a few weeks. Waiting on the goodies.
bojac
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Awesome cant wait for pics. Thats how it went with my lt build, would see some light at the emd of the tunnel then waiting on parts...
Rhock19
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Can't wait to see a new bog hog with a good bearing system. The engine is gonna be solid. What kind of boat are you gonna be running it on?
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby bojac » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:15 pm

I haven't found a boat yet. But it will be 14ft and wide. maybe 15. Then build a scissors blind on it.
I was wondering about the Duromax. Glad to hear a coupla positives on it. Strong torque?
bojac
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds