Interior Lights

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Interior Lights

Postby mallardmaulerky » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:14 pm

I have recently installed interior marine lights throughout my duck boat. The lights work great and light up my whole boat good, but I have a problem... When I turn the switch off the lights stay on but are very dim (not running at full power). From the battery, I have the positive wire connected to a switch and the ground runs straight to the lights. Are the lights supposed to stay on? Is the switch bad? I don't want to run my battery out from the courtesy lights staying lit.
mallardmaulerky
Newb

Re: Interior Lights

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:08 pm

mallardmaulerky wrote:I have recently installed interior marine lights throughout my duck boat. The lights work great and light up my whole boat good, but I have a problem... When I turn the switch off the lights stay on but are very dim (not running at full power). From the battery, I have the positive wire connected to a switch and the ground runs straight to the lights. Are the lights supposed to stay on? Is the switch bad? I don't want to run my battery out from the courtesy lights staying lit.

Your switch is junk if you are wired the way you say you are. Battery positive to inline fuse, then to switch, out of switch to lights, from lights back to battery ground. Your switch should be interupting the circuit. No voltage should be flowing out of that switch when off. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby mallardmaulerky » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Must be junk...got it at autozone! haha thanks
mallardmaulerky
Newb

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:35 pm

mallardmaulerky wrote:Must be junk...got it at autozone! haha thanks

Get a good quality waterproof switch, make sure your connections are clean with no stray wire strands hanging out, I suggest solder and heat shrink for connections. It should last forever if you do these things. good luck :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby steamer1958 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Is the switch a rocker switch with a light? If it is the load +wire to the lights is on the wrong switch lug. The rockers with lights have three lugs
One for ground
One for +12vdc
One for lights ground
If the wire are installed wrong it could back feed to the lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steamer1958
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:36 am

mallardmaulerky wrote:I have recently installed interior marine lights throughout my duck boat. The lights work great and light up my whole boat good, but I have a problem... When I turn the switch off the lights stay on but are very dim (not running at full power). From the battery, I have the positive wire connected to a switch and the ground runs straight to the lights. Are the lights supposed to stay on? Is the switch bad? I don't want to run my battery out from the courtesy lights staying lit.

Led lights or incandescent? Brand? Sounds like a short to power. Unplug the switch to see if that is potentially your problem
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds