Aluminum floor project.

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Aluminum floor project.

Postby ADF » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:44 am

I actually did this about a year ago and wanted to share my experiences. I was tired of replacing the floor in my 1648 Alumacraft every 3-4 years because the wood would rot and soak up water no matter what I treated it with. So I decided to replace it with aluminum. At first I was scared of the cost but if you work it out it’s not that much more after considering wood and the epoxy/sealer cost. Plus I'll never have to touch it again. I used a cardboard template and cut out notches to fit between the ribs (no more unspent shells rolling under the floor!). I put weather stripping on all the ribs and riveted the floor down. Instead of Hydro Turf I used Best-Step anti-fatigue mats from Sears. After a year of hard use (gator/duck hunting and fishing) I will say it’s not Hydro Turf but it is very good and much cheaper. It will tear easier but I only had an issue in one spot when I dropped the anchor directly on it. Replacing the floor with aluminum was one of the best things I've done to the boat.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo 6.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 5.JPG
photo4 .JPG
ADF
hunter

Re: Aluminum floor project.

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:18 am

Looks awesome man! As soon as I get my project boat painted, my floor is my next step. How did you level the floor up front? I am struggling with what to do in my boat. The last 3 feet rise pretty sharply and the mod V shape starts sloping as well. I am thinking of cutting 2 seperate pieces and just sealing between them before I lay the hydroturf down. Any suggestions?
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby ADF » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks. The front was a little tricky because it tapers slightly. The rise wasn't really an issue because the aluminum bends just enough to make a nice fit. I have a flat bottom Jon so I'm not sure how much more rise a semi-v would have. Even with the cardboard template I probably put the front piece in ten times and took it out to shave off a corner here and there. It might be hard to secure two pieces because the ribs don't leave much room for fastening. I would recommend rivets over screws. Rivets can be drilled out and you can use the same hole again. After a year I don't have one lose rivet. Hydro Turf is great and I have it on all the benches and front deck. Honestly for the floor I think I prefer the cheap Sears stuff. It's tuff and if anything did happen its $20 a roll to fix it.
Last edited by ADF on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ADF
hunter

Postby lgpjr49 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:18 pm

How much did the aluminum cost you? I was wanting to do the same thing to my boat. It looks awesome.
lgpjr49
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:26 pm

My 10 x 4 ft piece of marine grade .125 cost me 225.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:27 pm

And thanks for the input. I will definitely try to keep it in one sheet if possible. Yeah my ribs wouldnt have much room if I split it with 2 edges.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby ADF » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:30 pm

I cant really remember how much it cost. I think somewhere around $200 for the sheet. I remember it being a little more because a standard sheet is only 48" like plywood. I needed it to be 52" to fill in the gaps along the ribs. So I had to get a custom cut width. Worth every penny though. Good luck with y'alls projects. It's really not as hard as I thought it would be. A second set of hands would have been nice but they just show up at the boat ramp on opening morning.
ADF
hunter

Postby QuackAddict2013 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:48 pm

How does the mat hold up in the summer? I just replaced my floor from wood to aluminum also and am trying to find something that will hold up in the summer during the hot and in the winter during the freezing temps. How do you think it will hold up? Also can you walk bear footed on it in the summer?
QuackAddict2013
hunter

Postby lgpjr49 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Isn't that when helping hands always show up. Haha!
lgpjr49
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:44 pm

I used alucabond instead of aluminum in the floors of my boats. It is easier to cut and work with than aluminum.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby ADF » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:12 am

QuackAddict2013 wrote:How does the mat hold up in the summer? I just replaced my floor from wood to aluminum also and am trying to find something that will hold up in the summer during the hot and in the winter during the freezing temps. How do you think it will hold up? Also can you walk bear footed on it in the summer?

It holds up really well in the summer. I live in Florida so the sun is pretty intense. It gets warm in direct sunlight but never to the point you would burn your feet. The aluminum transfers the temperature of the water so it stays cool. As for the winter...I live in Florida so I'm not sure about real cold temps. It held up fine in frigid 40 degree temps. It did get down to 25 this year and it was fine...don't laugh.

DuckinFool wrote:I used alucabond instead of aluminum in the floors of my boats. It is easier to cut and work with than aluminum.

I looked for that but couldn't find it locally. The aluminum wasn't that hard to work with. Just used a cut off wheel and file to get off the burs.
ADF
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:20 am

Looks great!

Got a question, did you put anything underneith the alumium? My wood is about shot after being epoxy coated and would like to use AL. I'm just concered with jumping down off the front deck and the alumium denting when 220lbs hits it from 18" up. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
tod0987
hunter

Postby ADF » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:46 am

tod0987 wrote:Looks great!

Got a question, did you put anything underneith the alumium? My wood is about shot after being epoxy coated and would like to use AL. I'm just concered with jumping down off the front deck and the alumium denting when 220lbs hits it from 18" up. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

I put weatherstripping on every rib. The kind you would use for a truck topper. It doesn't vibrate or make any noise. The ribs on my boat are close together so the aluminum doesn't bend/dent at all. The ribs are 9" apart. If you have 2ft between every rib it might be different. .125 thickness is really ridged stuff. I worried about the weight compared to wood but it turned out being much lighter especially compared to waterlogged wood.
ADF
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:25 pm

I have the same mats for my boat, haven't figured the best way to hold them down. What was your solution? Do you find that they slip under foot?
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby jerseyjimk » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:34 am

CountryRN wrote:I have the same mats for my boat, haven't figured the best way to hold them down. What was your solution? Do you find that they slip under foot?

Have you thought about double stick tape,3-M makes a great product.
jerseyjimk
hunter

Postby ADF » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:23 am

I used 3m spray adhesive. The strongest one they make. I cleaned the aluminum with alcohol and sprayed both the mat and aluminum with adhesive and pressed it on. You really need two people for this part. When it gets really hot out it will "bubble" in spots because the foam expands but it always lays back down and stays in place. Like I said earlier, Hydro Turf really is a better product but for the price this stuff works really well.
ADF
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:51 am

ADF wrote:
tod0987 wrote:Looks great!

Thanks,

I put weatherstripping on every rib. The kind you would use for a truck topper. It doesn't vibrate or make any noise. The ribs on my boat are close together so the aluminum doesn't bend/dent at all. The ribs are 9" apart. If you have 2ft between every rib it might be different. .125 thickness is really ridged stuff. I worried about the weight compared to wood but it turned out being much lighter especially compared to waterlogged wood.

Thanks ! :beer:
tod0987
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds